Coronavirus: What questions do you have?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Chuck... Given recent statements from the CDC, can you "dumb this down" for me?

I'm a mid 50s generally healthy male a bit overweight but no major problems.

Its a risky world but I take precautions where I can. I buckel my seat belt every time I'm in the car.... But: For example, flu has some particular infection fatality rate and a case fatality rate that we can measure. I get the flu vaccine every year to reduce the chance that I get infected and become a case (and am inconvenienced by symptoms) and potentially die (my demographic this is rare). Let's call my chances as a flu-vaxxed guy of getting sick if exposed with flu X and dying from it Y if I become a case.

I'm also fully vaxxed with the Pfizer COVID vaccine.

Are my chances of getting sick if exposed to COVID similar to X or notably better or worse? And if I become a COVID case, are my chances of dying from it similar to Y or notably better or worse?

I'm trying to place my current risk due to COVID into a familiar context for comparison.

Thanks

(PS: I live in a low infection area trending well, and my wife and I --fully vaxxed-- will eat out at a restaurant on Saturday for the first time since this all started!)

Being overweight will increase the risk of death from all illnesses to include flu and COVID. It is more pronounced and increases with age and other illness with COVID.

I am glad we are getting rid of the masks for the immunized, but remember that this does not apply to hospitals and clinics. This might help me get rid of some shots at risk of expiration.

Not surprising. The vaccine does not completely wipe out new infections. It does reduce them and their severity. I suspect we will find out that they reduced their precautions and bam.

I hadn’t heard about the Yankees’ outbreak, but this response doesn’t bode well for all of the states reopening at 50% vax rates.

What do you pro docs make of the Yankees outbreak amongst fully vaxxed? Anything to be learned for the laymen?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshua...-for-cdc-guidance-on-masking/?sh=1fef4af03412
"Tested positive". I didn't read the whole thing, but are they symptomatic? If so, how severe? The vaccines do not totally prevent one from acquiring the virus, and if you do acquire it, you will test positive. But your body is ready for it and begins to fight it off immediately - giving the virus no time create a large viral load in your body. The small viral load means you will likely have mild or no symptoms, and the chance of you shedding enough to infect anyone else is greatly diminished. Of course, this is my layman's interpretation of what I've read, and I defer to the experts here to correct the above.

"Tested positive". I didn't read the whole thing, but are they symptomatic? If so, how severe? The vaccines do not totally prevent one from acquiring the virus, and if you do acquire it, you will test positive. But your body is ready for it and begins to fight it off immediately - giving the virus no time create a large viral load in your body. The small viral load means you will likely have mild or no symptoms, and the chance of you shedding enough to infect anyone else is greatly diminished. Of course, this is my layman's interpretation of what I've read, and I defer to the experts here to correct the above.
Yup, from what I read earlier only one guy is exhibiting mild symptoms and the others are asymptomatic.
The article I read called it a "breakthrough" infection, IIRC. That is, an infection that occurs among fully vaccinated subjects. And I also defer to the medical experts.

I am not inside the organization and reports are often false, but it looks like they had a high rate of immunization and now have an outbreak. The positives were both asymptomatic and mildly symptomatic.

So what happens to vampires and zombies in the age of coco? Vampires drink the infected blood directly, zombies eat brains that have infected blood. Just asking for my neice...

edfb007c-cc55-468b-a30e-b079f3a1d02b-jpeg.4269531

I am not inside the organization and reports are often false, but it looks like they had a high rate of immunization and now have an outbreak. The positives were both asymptomatic and mildly symptomatic.

This is just a single point of anecdotal data, But my 84YO mother lives in an assisted living facility in NH.
They are 100% Vaccinated, residents and workers. They still test and my Mothers best friend tested positive (no symptoms).
They went into a 2 week lockdown again and no other positive tests, no symptoms.

That makes me feel good about the vaccine.

Chuck,

Is there any data yet on how long a fully vaccinated person, infected with COVID, will be shedding?

Thanks

Mark

This is just a single point of anecdotal data, But my 84YO mother lives in an assisted living facility in NH.
They are 100% Vaccinated, residents and workers. They still test and my Mothers best friend tested positive (no symptoms).
They went into a 2 week lockdown again and no other positive tests, no symptoms.

That makes me feel good about the vaccine.

Chuck,

Is there any data yet on how long a fully vaccinated person, infected with COVID, will be shedding?

Thanks

Mark

Just that they shed less, btu they shed. Nursing homes lockdown and maintain hygiene. Yankees probably do not.

I like to add, shot, Johnson and Johnson, Tanks, staff 85 % fully vaccinated. Yank shortstop, had Vivid in Dec and was fully vaccinated. He is asystomatic.

I hadn’t heard about the Yankees’ outbreak, but this response doesn’t bode well for all of the states reopening at 50% vax rates.
I wish it was 50 percent. Ohio is reopening, and eliminating the mask requirement, and we're somewhere around 37% (42% started).

We are, tentatively, planning to return to indoor, in-person worship at our church in July (with weekly outdoor services in our parking lot in June) but we'll see if things continue to get better... or worse. I've been making it clear that what we do in July depends on the continuing improvement of current conditions and that our plans will change, again, if things start to get worse.

I'm also now fighting against the latest CDC announcement because everyone in misinterpreting it. All anyone hears is "the CDC said it was okay to meet indoors without masks." But what they *said* was, "it's okay to meet indoors, IN SMALL GROUPS, without masks, IF EVERYONE IS VACCINATED." That means that a church, which is a large group, and which does NOT have a vaccination requirement for entry, is still encouraged to a) not meet indoors, b) limit duration of indoor meetings, c)wear masks, d) social distance, and e) don't sing (although vaccinated choral performers can now safely rehearse and perform).

Last edited:
To those that say masks do nothing:

Small facility with 58000 beneficiaries followed Influenza testing for the past 10 years. This year, they had a similar number of tests ordered but few deaths and positive tests. They average 300-500 positive tests and this year - Only 16. That is the lowest number in over 20 years. Masks work, but it time to roll up you sleeve and take the vaccination so we can all take them off. We are not Batman.

To those that say masks do nothing:

Small facility with 58000 beneficiaries followed Influenza testing for the past 10 years. This year, they had a similar number of tests ordered but few deaths and positive tests. They average 300-500 positive tests and this year - Only 16. That is the lowest number in over 20 years. Masks work, but it time to roll up you sleeve and take the vaccination so we can all take them off. We are not Batman.

Chuck,
Can you offer a few more details on this one?

I'm not sure I exactly understand what you mean by "small facility" and "beneficiaries." I would like to share this and I want to be clear. One of my brothers in particular, is science minded, but believes that influenza numbers are down because a) testing stopped and b) all flu-like symptoms were automatically reported as COVID. Data like this, if clear, refutes both of those notions.

No more chin diapers!

The Norman City Council repealed all COVID-19 related ordinances,including the city's mask mandate, during its Tuesday meeting.

The council voted unanimously to repeal its ordinances, but Mayor Breea Clark decided not to rescind the emergency declaration. She referred to the possibility of a case spike in the fall and said she wanted to wait until everyone who wants the vaccine has the opportunity to get one.

Norman was the first Oklahoma city to adopt business closures, restricted reopening and face coverings last year, and, as Clark noted, the last to repeal them. The council's decision rescinded the ordinances 13 days before the initial sunset date of June 1.

Oklahoma now has the lowest new daily case rate in the nation with only three new cases per 100,000 people, or 136 new cases, daily, said Dr. Dale Bratzler, professor of medicine at the University of Oklahoma's College of Medicine and OU’s chief COVID officer.

Bratzler said 17 cases of the India variant have been reported in Oklahoma, with 13 of them — “a cluster of cases” — in Cleveland County.

“Of the 17, three were fully vaccinated. Two had had one shot of either Pfizer or Moderna,” he said. “That's a bit concerning. None of them required hospitalization or had any complications, but it is in the background that there is the India variant in Oklahoma.”

“Private businesses can still require that regardless of our ordinances. Masks will still be required on buses and in public transportation (because) that's a federal requirement. I suspect hospitals will still have some requirements for masks, and those things can be done,” Walker explained.

Chuck,
Can you offer a few more details on this one?

I'm not sure I exactly understand what you mean by "small facility" and "beneficiaries." I would like to share this and I want to be clear. One of my brothers in particular, is science minded, but believes that influenza numbers are down because a) testing stopped and b) all flu-like symptoms were automatically reported as COVID. Data like this, if clear, refutes both of those notions.

It is a medical center with 58K patients. We tested about 500 fewer people - normally we rin about 5000-6500 patients for influenza (Just under 5800 last year) and this year we tested just over 5300. Is it less, yet
No more chin diapers!

The Norman City Council repealed all COVID-19 related ordinances,including the city's mask mandate, during its Tuesday meeting.

The council voted unanimously to repeal its ordinances, but Mayor Breea Clark decided not to rescind the emergency declaration. She referred to the possibility of a case spike in the fall and said she wanted to wait until everyone who wants the vaccine has the opportunity to get one.

Norman was the first Oklahoma city to adopt business closures, restricted reopening and face coverings last year, and, as Clark noted, the last to repeal them. The council's decision rescinded the ordinances 13 days before the initial sunset date of June 1.

Oklahoma now has the lowest new daily case rate in the nation with only three new cases per 100,000 people, or 136 new cases, daily, said Dr. Dale Bratzler, professor of medicine at the University of Oklahoma's College of Medicine and OU’s chief COVID officer.

Bratzler said 17 cases of the India variant have been reported in Oklahoma, with 13 of them — “a cluster of cases” — in Cleveland County.

“Of the 17, three were fully vaccinated. Two had had one shot of either Pfizer or Moderna,” he said. “That's a bit concerning. None of them required hospitalization or had any complications, but it is in the background that there is the India variant in Oklahoma.”

“Private businesses can still require that regardless of our ordinances. Masks will still be required on buses and in public transportation (because) that's a federal requirement. I suspect hospitals will still have some requirements for masks, and those things can be done,” Walker explained.

Be careful and enjoy. There is no reason to wear a mask for the vaccinated except to protect those who can't.

I suspect hospitals will still have some requirements for masks, and those things can be done,” Walker explained.

My hospital is still requiring everyone to wear a mask in public areas or when taking care of a patient. They have relaxed the mask requirements in the break rooms and classrooms if you're vaccinated.

Can you clarify? I thought if I was vaccinated I wouldn't be able to spread it either.

Chuck's response form above RE fully vaccinated folks

Just that they shed less, [but] they shed.

From that, I gather that if you have a really bad combination of circumstances, you can still get infected by a vaccinated person.
I imagine vaccinated folks are more likely to be asymptomatic as well

Can you clarify? I thought if I was vaccinated I wouldn't be able to spread it either.

That is a common fallacy. Less likely to spread vs. can't cause a spread. Fully vaccinated folks are less likely to spread but under the right situation, you can still spread.

Chuck's response form above RE fully vaccinated folks

From that, I gather that if you have a really bad combination of circumstances, you can still get infected by a vaccinated person.
I imagine vaccinated folks are more likely to be asymptomatic as well

BINGO.

Today, a kindergartner asked me why I didnt have my mask on. She was the only one on the bus and my mask was hanging low.
I said, I'm not required to wear it while driving, because my glasses fog up and I cant see.
She replied, I dont have to wear a mask because I was tested.

Kids say the darnedest things.

(Actually, kindergartners are not required.)

Good morning, Chuck.
Figured I'd share this, I haven't researched it further. Perhaps there's far more to this than appears here.
https://joannenova.com.au/2021/05/cases-down-in-the-parts-of-india-that-approved-ivermectin-use/

I don’t have much of a comment on Ivermectin. It is a “worm” pill used for parasites. I am not convinced yet. I posted very early on that it might be a treatment or prophylaxis based one some chronologic links to low infection rates. This article is based on conjecture and the time relationship to starting the use of Ivermechtin and not a mechanism. I am a skeptic because we have heard this before with Zithromax-Max and Hydrochloroquonone. I would like to see a double blind placebo trial.

That being said, it probably will not hurt you and it will help you treat those worms and head lice that you might have.

Today, a kindergartner asked me why I didnt have my mask on. She was the only one on the bus and my mask was hanging low.
I said, I'm not required to wear it while driving, because my glasses fog up and I cant see.
She replied, I dont have to wear a mask because I was tested.

Kids say the darnedest things.

(Actually, kindergartners are not required.)

Kids are darndest things. Older folks are the same. I had a 90+ year old patient one tell me she had a High-Anal hernia. I did not know how to tell her it is a hiatal hernia so I just let it go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back