Coronavirus: What questions do you have?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been trying to advise my leadership on the fitness of service members. Numerous studies over the past few months have shown that about 1 in 3 people with COVID-19 will have symptoms that last longer than the typical two weeks. These symptoms affect not only people who were very sick and hospitalized with COVID-19, but also those with milder cases. I am unable to find a way to predict who will get the long or lasting post-viral symptoms. The military leadership is not known for patience or a wait-and-see attitude. It is all I can find.

My wife and I got our first dose (Moderna) on Tuesday. Second dose already scheduled for March 16. The shots were arranged thru one of the two local hospital systems (Northwestern). Our GP is in the Northwestern network. Arm's still a little stiff, but otherwise no side effects at all for either one of us.

My wife's transplant docs at the Cleveland Clinic have finally recommended that their patients get the vaccine. They are also doing a clinical trial among their patients, but that's full. And of course, they aren't providing it, and my wife can't find anyone that has it. But she is at least on a couple of waiting lists. I still don't see how I will have any chance of getting it before April despite living with an immune compromised person. Brilliant.

My friend, 75yo, had her 2nd Pfizer vaccine shot. 1st day, slight headache, some body aches, some chills. 2nd day massive headache. 3rd day headache.
Though we both have had on and off sinus headaches due to baseboard heaters. Maybe a combo of both.
She is 1A, an RN, though, only works 1 day a week. While my father 91yo, w/ comorbidity hasnt had a shot.
Her 1st shot was in PA. Moved to FL. But FL wouldn't allow 2nd shot because she wasnt officially a resident. Had to fly back to PA for 2nd shot.

Our county vaccine registration is totally FUBAR. Along w/ lack of vaccines.
Registration is ongoing w/ CVS, Rite Aid, etc and your healthcare provider. Im considered 1A and on 4 lists.

The county canceled hundreds of registrations. They gave the 2nd dose shots to 1st dose registrars.
Some are traveling 100 miles to other sites.
Reports of people told they weren't available for a shot because their primary health provider was in another county.
When they went to register in that county, were told they couldn't because they didn't reside in that county.
People are online registering w/ 40 providers. Day and nite for a slot.

Getting 28" of snow in 19 days didnt help, either.

I have had patients who do match the schema show up with a physician's note to get the vaccine. I am not sure whether to question it or just give the vaccine. I often wonder if the note is a fake.

I am very much concerned I will have a permanent loss of cardiovascular fitness. I am still tired.

Good news: I may be wrong but I think we are out of the spike. New infection numbers are plummeting. Deaths are still up but that lags by 3-4 weeks. I am fairly confident we will be out of the woods by the summer. Sure, mutations can change this. I don't see it happening. That being said, please be diligent till you can get the vaccine. Do not be lulled into complacency.
Hopefully you will see incremental improvement given time.

There is going to be a significant long term health care cost due to COVID. People are going to be dealing with this physically, emotionally, and financially for a long time.

Financially, this thing is killing my retirement fund. Well, now it is more of a lunch fund.

Chuck, I would never ask you for excessively personal details, but I was surprised by this comment.

One of my interests is how the the virus impacts people directly and indirectly. It hadn't occurred to me that your illness might have a significant cost to you. Is the issue due to your stated plans to retire earlier (if I remember correctly), or some more direct cost? I assumed that your medical care would be essentially fully covered, along with any work time missed, with you being in the service.

If this is too personal just ignore the question; I don't want to prod.

Chuck, I would never ask you for excessively personal details, but I was surprised by this comment.

One of my interests is how the the virus impacts people directly and indirectly. It hadn't occurred to me that your illness might have a significant cost to you. Is the issue due to your stated plans to retire earlier (if I remember correctly), or some more direct cost? I assumed that your medical care would be essentially fully covered, along with any work time missed, with you being in the service.

If this is too personal just ignore the question; I don't want to prod.

I am just joking (partially). I will be fine, but the virus and economy have made an impact, but my military retirement will make up the difference.

Should we be surprised if there is a slight uptick in hospitalizations or other metrics from in 3-4 weeks now that they are re-opening?

Now that the Johnson and Johnson (single shot) vaccine is approved, which would you recommend? When it was approved, they were saying that the J&J vaccine was something like 65% effective, but then they said 75%, then that it was "just as effective" as the Moderna vaccine at "suppressing serious symptoms" (or something).

My thinking is that since the Moderna or Pfizer vaccines are 90+ percent effective, they would be preferable.

Thoughts?

Now that the Johnson and Johnson (single shot) vaccine is approved, which would you recommend? When it was approved, they were saying that the J&J vaccine was something like 65% effective, but then they said 75%, then that it was "just as effective" as the Moderna vaccine at "suppressing serious symptoms" (or something).

My thinking is that since the Moderna or Pfizer vaccines are 90+ percent effective, they would be preferable.

Thoughts?

I was wondering the exact same thing.

I was wondering the exact same thing.

Me too!
It was announced today that all PA school employees will be eligible for J&J vaccines thru the Emergency Management.
Also, Im next on the county Pfizer vaccines list.
From JAMA 03/03/21:
"Data released by Johnson & Johnson suggest that 1 dose of vaccine was 66% effective in preventing moderate to severe COVID-19 and 100% effective in preventing COVID-19–related hospitalization and death."

Yes, Ill need to make a choice, soon.

Actually I know the answer. Which ever one comes first.

Last edited:
2 months after signing up in Delaware for over 65 high risk, I finally got an appointment today for my wife and me to be vaccinated. It is the J&J vaccine, we decided to take whatever we can get. At least we don't need to go back for a second dose (for now).

I heard that even at 65% it's more effective than most flu vaccines, is that true?

I heard that even at 65% it's more effective than most flu vaccines, is that true?

Not entirely. It depends on the definition of effective. I know this is nebulous. COVID vaccines may be more effective but we need more data. The calculate risk appears to be lower, btu who knows how that will end up in the wild. I would still tak ethe vaccine, but we will not know until we have population studies.

With Flu, we gather data during the season to calculate the protection and effectiveness. Anthing this early is just showing out numbers. My educated guess based on the data is that the mRNA vaccines will be about 80-90 effective and the JJ will be 70-80%. That is across all age groups. Remember that the young has a better immune system in general.

What can you tell me about the Braziliian strain?

The reports are scary. It reportedly wiped out 1-2 viliiages and killed hundreds. Very infectious and 10-20% mroe deadly. 25-60% catch it a second time within 4-6 weeks. Those reports may be suspect, but it is all we have. Blood samples have detected it in 25-30 countires already. The vaccine is probably effective, but data is lacking.

This is Anecdotal, as such take it for what its worth.

My mother, 84, lives in an assisted living facility in NH. The entire staff and resident population was vaccinated in Mid January. My mothers best friend, who she was seeing every day tested positive 10 days ago.
The facility went into hard lockdown.
So far there are no other cases, my mother has not tested positive, and her friend that did is showing no symptoms at all.

There are about 200 residents and probably 50-75 staff.

A very small sample, but it's looking like the vaccine is working well.

Chuck, could I ask a question?

I have had my 2nd shot 6 days ago, What is the current thinking on when I might be able to visit her? It would seem that 2 vaccinated people are a very low risk situation. Her facility says it's all up to the state.

Thanks

I hope it works.

I'm surprised at some of my co-workers, Highly educated people, who say they are not going to get it.

Today we had a co-worker send a 'staff' email telling the 'hack' that he/she said would let us get vaccinated sooner than later. It may be true, it may be legal and it may be in the intent of the rules, but I will wait until 'my number gets called' by the rules I believe to be correct. There is no way, in my current working environment I should be vaccinated before a college professor who is teaching a portion of classes in person, from my personal moral beliefs at least. If they are throwing away vaccine, that's different, but if the previously mentioned example isn't getting an appointment, then I shouldn't be bumping them in line for sure.

Sandy.

Down here they are starting to use low dead-space needles for the vaccinations. That let's them get six doses out of a vial instead of four.

We've been doing that for a while. Pfizer had the gall to then say that each vial now counted as six doses instead of four, so they cut down the number of vials they had to deliver. They might have backed off of that position since.

I hope it works.

I'm surprised at some of my co-workers, Highly educated people, who say they are not going to get it.

Same here. Unbelievable. Being educated in other areas makes them think they are qualified to have a meaningful and realistic opinion about the danger of getting vaccinated.

Possibly concerning: Oklahoma has used only about 75% of the 1.7 million doses received, and has just opened Phase 3 first doses.

As the state is only ~4 million, hopefully that means we've covered most of the at-risk and frontline people with their second dose.

Your read ?

My read is you can lead the horse to water, but you can’t make him drink.

I’m holding out for the J&J single dose, personally, but I’ve already had the rona, and should be good for a while yet. So, let those more at risk than myself go first.

”I’m third....”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back