Coronavirus: What questions do you have?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest, my nose is so worn out from the swabs it seems pretty enticing.

That said, I'm not sure I want the same issue with my butt.

The US has apparently gotten on board :)

p4120591426-5.jpg

Sounds like a SciFi movie, with a bunch of Klingons tearing around Uranus.......

(if this doesn’t make sense to you, give it a moment, you will get it in the end.)

Close, butt no, no, no.

The classic joke is: What does the Starship Enterprise and toilet paper have in common? A: They both circle Uranus searching for Klingons!

But you were in the same toilet bowl ballpark!

Close, butt no, no, no.

The classic joke is: What does the Starship Enterprise and toilet paper have in common? A: They both circle Uranus searching for Klingons!

But you were in the same toilet bowl ballpark!
Actually I think it was “wipe out Klingons”, but close enough. I don’t want to get, you know, retentive about it.

I stooly duly stand corrected!!!

Please repost that link you made me aware of--others might need refreshment...

I haven't seen much talk of stacking vaccines and am curious if there are any studies about the interactions between them. For instance, if a single shot J&J becomes available to me before I'm able to get a 2 shot Pfizer and Moderna would it be advisable to get it and then look at getting one of the 2 shot versions later in the year when there is, hopefully, plenty to go around. And if so, are there any potential issues with the idea of stacking them like this?

I haven't seen much talk of stacking vaccines and am curious if there are any studies about the interactions between them. For instance, if a single shot J&J becomes available to me before I'm able to get a 2 shot Pfizer and Moderna would it be advisable to get it and then look at getting one of the 2 shot versions later in the year when there is, hopefully, plenty to go around. And if so, are there any potential issues with the idea of stacking them like this?

Research is pending. It just has not been done to date with data collection. As far as we, it could make you grow a second head (just kidding).

Will delaying vaccine doses cause a coronavirus to mutate?

The simple answer is yes and no. The virus is not a living thinking thing. It’s sole purpose on this earth is to multiply and it needs you to do that. Mutations occur when your body makes a mistake coding the virus or nature causes a mutation. The mutation has an advatage because it allows it to evade our defenses so it makes more copies. Time is the element that allows mutations, The quicker we wipe it out, the better we prevent that big mutation.

Hi Chuck,

What is the current standard of care for Covid patients if they present with the typical symptoms? I'm thinking two cases: one pretty bad but not at the point of hospitalization, and another worse requiring hospitalization but not intubation. Basically, a year in, what are the typical treatments now for regular folk?

Last edited:
The simple answer is yes and no. The virus is not a living thinking thing. It’s sole purpose on this earth is to multiply and it needs you to do that. Mutations occur when your body makes a mistake coding the virus or nature causes a mutation. The mutation has an advatage because it allows it to evade our defenses so it makes more copies. Time is the element that allows mutations, The quicker we wipe it out, the better we prevent that big mutation.
So the longer we take in stopping transmission the greater the chance of a mutation that the current vaccines are not effective against? Transmission is the compounding factor on-top of mutation.

So the longer we take in stopping transmission the greater the chance of a mutation that the current vaccines are not effective against? Transmission is the compounding factor on-top of mutation.

Yes, some mutations are more transmissible and some make it more resistant to the vaccine.

Awwwwww,

It's not that bad. I had a sadistic micro professor in 1976 who graded on a straight curve with his tests period. If one wanted to get extra credit a student only had to come up with a "unique" bacterium that wasn't in "his" (the professors) collection. We students were sticking swabs everywhere in ourselves and all over campus except I think not in one's own urethra. At least I didn't have the nerve to do that as they didn't supply Calgiswabs small enough for my tastes to try. I was a vestal virgin back then so recovery of anything from there would be nil.

One young lady in my class got a bona fide Shigella genus, not dysenteriae but one that should have given her bad diarrhea. She was totally asymptomatic. So she got extra credit. I think she saw an M.D. to look into it FWIW.

Me? I stuffed a nasal pharyngeal swab way the heck back into my nose, swabbed it around a bit without puking and plated it.
Saw an interesting colony out of the myriad growing on the plate, on gram stain and sub cultured it. Got a pure culture of a gram positive (purple/violet not red) kidney bean shaped bacteria. Hmmmmmm, that's weird. Never saw that shape before so I pursued it. Nice thing is we were provided with a butt load of different kinds of culturing media to sort the fine metabolic details out so that's where these little buggers ended up. On a pile of subcultures. All the while I was carefully nurturing my "base" colony like it was a sourdough bread starter that was going to support my life during the Klondike gold rush. Keep 'em alive!

I recorded all the metabolic results from the different types of media I used to subculture this little kidney bean shaped, gram positive bacteria and using "Bergey's Manual of Determinative Microbiology" came to the conclusion I had Corynebacterium pseudodiptheriticum living in my nasopharynx at that time. The professor agreed.

Big deal so you say? Well, Corynebacterium diptheriae causes the dreaded childhood disease Whooping cough with the potentially life ending pseudo membrane in the throat.

The Bergey's manual went on to state that if the C. pseudodiptheriticum conjugated (had sex with) a certain virus, it could convert and become pathogenic to cause disease! Well isn't that special.

I thought about it and came to the conclusion that it was a classic case of commensalism. I was up to date on my DPT shots which is diptheria, (bordetella) pertussis and tetanus. As long as the C. pseudodiptheriticus (as it was known back then) stayed as it was, my immune system would leave it alone as long as it's not giving off the noxious metabolic by-products and poisons associated with the disease causing C.diptheriae.

If some of the pseudodiptheriticus ran off to have sex with a virus, my immune system (duly stimulated by the vaccine) would not allow this diddling to pathogenicity, attack, kill and render harmless any and all offending pseudodiptheriticus bacteria that dared to go pathogenic!!!

Henceforth, the Corynebacterium pseudodiptheriticum simply lived off the snot in my nasopharyx and went about its usual business (ie. reproducing) without causing me any problem whatsoever. It probably was crowded out a bit by the other normal bacterial flora that lived there that don't cause disease either!

Oh, I did get my extra credit and my "A" for the course!

Well, this is what happens when one personifies on a microbiologic scale!;)

Kurt Savegnago

Last edited:
Awwwwww,

It's not that bad. I had a sadistic micro professor in 1976 who graded on a straight curve with his tests period. If one wanted to get extra credit a student only had to come up with a "unique" bacterium that wasn't in "his" (the professors) collection. We students were sticking swabs everywhere in ourselves and all over campus except I think not in one's own urethra. At least I didn't have the nerve to do that as they didn't supply Calgiswabs small enough for my tastes to try. I was a vestal virgin back then so recovery of anything from there would be nil.

One young lady in my class got a bona fide Shigella genus, not dysenteriae but one that should have given her bad diarrhea. She was totally asymptomatic. So she got extra credit. I think she saw an M.D. to look into it FWIW.

Me? I stuffed a nasal pharyngeal swab way the heck back into my nose, swabbed it around a bit without puking and plated it.
Saw an interesting colony out of the myriad growing on the plate, on gram stain and sub cultured it. Got a pure culture of a gram positive (purple/violet not red) kidney bean shaped bacteria. Hmmmmmm, that's weird. Never saw that shape before so I pursued it. Nice thing is we were provided with a butt load of different kinds of culturing media to sort the fine metabolic details out so that's where these little buggers ended up. On a pile of subcultures. All the while I was carefully nurturing my "base" colony like it was a sourdough bread starter that was going to support my life during the Klondike gold rush. Keep 'em alive!

I recorded all the metabolic results from the different types of media I used to subculture this little kidney bean shaped, gram positive bacteria and using "Bergey's Manual of Determinative Microbiology" came to the conclusion I had Corynebacterium pseudodiptheriticum living in my nasopharynx at that time. The professor agreed.

Big deal so you say? Well, Corynebacterium diptheriae causes the dreaded childhood disease Whooping cough with the potentially life ending pseudo membrane in the throat.

The Bergey's manual went on to state that if the C. pseudodiptheriticum conjugated (had sex with) a certain virus, it could convert and become pathogenic to cause disease! Well isn't that special.

I thought about it and came to the conclusion that it was a classic case of commensalism. I was up to date on my DPT shots which is diptheria, (bordetella) pertussis and tetanus. As long as the C. pseudodiptheriticus (as it was known back then) stayed as it was, my immune system would leave it alone as long as it's not giving off the noxious metabolic by-products and poisons associated with the disease causing C.diptheriae.

If some of the pseudodiptheriticus ran off to have sex with a virus, my immune system (duly stimulated by the vaccine) would not allow this diddling to pathogenicity, attack, kill and render harmless any and all offending pseudodiptheriticus bacteria that dared to go pathogenic!!!

Henceforth, the Corynebacterium pseudodiptheriticum simply lived off the snot in my nasopharyx and went about its usual business (ie. reproducing) without causing me any problem whatsoever. It probably was crowded out a bit by the other normal bacterial flora that lived there that don't cause disease either!

Oh, I did get my extra credit and my "A" for the course!

Well, this is what happens when one personifies on a microbiologic scale!;)

Kurt Savegnago

I might be bad if they reused the swabs. It is also harder to swab in a drive through.

My friend, 75yo, had her 2nd Pfizer vaccine shot. 1st day, slight headache, some body aches, some chills. 2nd day massive headache. 3rd day headache.
Though we both have had on and off sinus headaches due to baseboard heaters. Maybe a combo of both.
She is 1A, an RN, though, only works 1 day a week. While my father 91yo, w/ comorbidity hasnt had a shot.
Her 1st shot was in PA. Moved to FL. But FL wouldn't allow 2nd shot because she wasnt officially a resident. Had to fly back to PA for 2nd shot.

Our county vaccine registration is totally FUBAR. Along w/ lack of vaccines.
Registration is ongoing w/ CVS, Rite Aid, etc and your healthcare provider. Im considered 1A and on 4 lists.

y
Our county vaccine registration is totally FUBAR. Along w/ lack of vaccines.
Registration is ongoing w/ CVS, Rite Aid, etc and your healthcare provider. Im considered 1A and on 4 lists.

Ohio's governor promised that our statewide vaccine website should go live later this week... maybe.

Our county website says that vaccines are available, but all the sites where it claims to have them, are only available for the second shot and not to people needing the first one. My wife spent a good part of yesterday evening clicking on every single listing of available shots, one at a time, only to be told that they don't really have any. FUBAR is an apt description. I don't expect to get mine until sometime in the spring.

Chuck, how are you feeling? Any concerning residual affects other than having to regain fitness?

I am very much concerned I will have a permanent loss of cardiovascular fitness. I am still tired.

Good news: I may be wrong but I think we are out of the spike. New infection numbers are plummeting. Deaths are still up but that lags by 3-4 weeks. I am fairly confident we will be out of the woods by the summer. Sure, mutations can change this. I don't see it happening. That being said, please be diligent till you can get the vaccine. Do not be lulled into complacency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back