Coronavirus: What questions do you have?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have distinct (not fond) memories of the gamma globulin shot from when my parents were in the Foreign Service when I was in high school. It was waaaay better to get the shot from the embassy nurse in country than from a stateside doctor. She warmed the vaccine up a bit so it thinned down from its normal molasses-like consistency.
The embassy nurse was probably a military or former military nurse, during unit immunizations prior to deployments the nurse would take a vial of Gamma Globulin from the fridge and hold it in her hand while drawing the dose from a vial removed a few minutes before, so it would be thinner, probably much easier on the nurses hand as the thinner shot would be less fatiguing after delivering 100-300 shots in a day. The slightly warm dose was also a bit more "comfortable" for those of us recieving them, I have had doses of GG administered both cold and hand warmed, the warmer one was definitely a bit more pleasant.

I have distinct (not fond) memories of the gamma globulin shot from when my parents were in the Foreign Service when I was in high school. It was waaaay better to get the shot from the embassy nurse in country than from a stateside doctor. She warmed the vaccine up a bit so it thinned down from its normal molasses-like consistency.
Yeah, the cold ones kinda felt like someone shoved a golf ball into your gluteus maximus. :eek:

Yup. Gamma Globulin shots are fun,

You really do need to get out more! (once you’ve recovered, and with appropriate masking and physical distancing, of course!)

I am 80-85% recovered and back to work. I teleworked during the infection.

Last night I have my first drink of spirits since the infection. I really don't have a taste for it anymore. That might be a good thing.

I think we are starting to turn the corner in many states. I think in 2 weeks that the death rate will drop. In most states and as we do not get stupid, we might be able to turn the tide on the pandemic.

Any concern about the more infectious UK variant?
The CDC says it could become the dominant strain in the US by March.
More infectious, more cases, more deaths?

In most states and as we do not get stupid, we might be able to turn the tide on the pandemic.
Problem is, nobody has come out with an effective “anti-stupid” vaccine.

How did your second shot go? I was curious if you might have more of a reaction since you had previously had both a shot and an infection.

Hope you are well, and glad your wife didn’t get any symptoms.

I get number 2 today.

Chuck, I hope you are continuing to improve and each day brings renewed vigor.

My feed served up this article that I found interesting/horrifying that quantifies in the UK how many covid-19 survivors get sick later and die, presumably due to lasting impacts of the disease, particularly in an older/sicker population.

While NY Post isn't one of my preferred sources, this seemed credible enough. Are you aware of similar analysis for the US going on?

https://nypost.com/2021/01/18/1-in-8-recovered-covid-19-patients-die-within-5-months-study/

My feed served up this article that I found interesting/horrifying that quantifies in the UK how many covid-19 survivors get sick later and die, presumably due to lasting impacts of the disease, particularly in an older/sicker population.

While NY Post isn't one of my preferred sources, this seemed credible enough. Are you aware of similar analysis for the US going on?

https://nypost.com/2021/01/18/1-in-8-recovered-covid-19-patients-die-within-5-months-study/
Key factor is this refers to patients whose initial disease severity required hospitalization. Still not great, but doesn’t refer to ALL patients who have had and recovered from Covid.

“out of 47,780 people discharged from the hospital, 29.4 percent were readmitted within 140 days, the Telegraph reported.

Of the total, 12.3 percent ended up dying, it added.”

It’s a crazy virus, infections range all the way from asymptomatic (but infectious) to rapidly fatal.

That is a true article. You have to remember that 1 in 8 are over 70 yrs of age and that bode well for a post illness recover.

Any concern about the more infectious UK variant?
The CDC says it could become the dominant strain in the US by March.
More infectious, more cases, more deaths?

Not yet. It appears to be more infections but not more deadly and still covered by the vaccine.

COVID is definitely starting to plateau or maybe even fall across the US. The numbers are less concerning if not promising.

Immunization number 2 complete.

I am developing my super power : I am becoming ImmunityMan.
Just don’t bump your deltoid muscle on anything for the next 24 hours. I Started on Motrin and Tylenol immediately, and even with that it was pretty sore. Better today.

and if I recall correctly, you’ve got 11 days before vaccine immunity kicks in fully (although given you’ve already had the “real thing”, you are probably already good to go.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just don’t bump your deltoid muscle on anything for the next 24 hours. I Started on Motrin and Tylenol immediately, and even with that it was pretty sore. Better today.

and if I recall correctly, you’ve got 11 days before vaccine immunity kicks in fully (although given you’ve already had the “real thing”, you are probably already good to go.)

I will take Motrin tonight.

I think It takes about 4 weeks to hit full immunity. It tapers slowly after that. You begin having some immunity after the first shot, but it is not a large amount. Some studies show up to 40% immunity after a single shot.

I will take Motrin tonight.

I think It takes about 4 weeks to hit full immunity. It tapers slowly after that. You begin having some immunity after the first shot, but it is not a large amount. Some studies show up to 40% immunity after a single shot.
Well crud, not that I planned on bar hopping, but I was hoping to start getting out a bit more at 11 days. Anyway, if you see the guy in the mask and the green face shield, that‘s me..... I still have to worry about bringing an asymptomatic infection home and giving my wife a SYMPTOMATIC one.

Just out of curiosity, what is the vaccination schedule for active duty troops? We are taking our son (actually he;s driving his car, but we're pulling his trailer full of furniture, etc.) to Columbus, GA so that he can report for training at Fort Benning on Friday. Should he expect to vaccinated as he in-processes?

Just out of curiosity, what is the vaccination schedule for active duty troops? We are taking our son (actually he;s driving his car, but we're pulling his trailer full of furniture, etc.) to Columbus, GA so that he can report for training at Fort Benning on Friday. Should he expect to vaccinated as he in-processes?

Vaccination for military is voluntary. Based on his tier and availability of vaccine, he will be offered A vaccine. Gen pop vaccines should start soon.

Vaccination for military is voluntary. Based on his tier and availability of vaccine, he will be offered A vaccine. Gen pop vaccines should start soon.
Thanks. I'll tell him.

Butter bar, new lieutenant, reporting for Armor school (six months) followed by some other school (four more months, I think). Permanent duty station afterward.

Thanks. I'll tell him.

Butter bar, new lieutenant, reporting for Armor school (six months) followed by some other school (four more months, I think). Permanent duty station afterward.
Congrats on your son‘s accomplishments!

Covid numbers are sliding in many states but deaths are near a spike. Some states are still climbing. I think we are starting to see the post-holiday fall.

The vaccine has kicked by behind. I have had a fever, chills, body aches, and fatigue. I stayed home from work today to recover.

I would get it again. I will say that the vaccine has to have less long-lasting side effects than catching COVID. I have several 18-30-year-olds that I tracking that have heart failure with an EF less than 40.

Covid numbers are sliding in many states but deaths are near a spike. Some states are still climbing. I think we are starting to see the post-holiday fall.
That is what we are seeing here. Cases dropping, but deaths still up. State health authorities really concerned about impact of variants. Talking about maybe 3-4 weeks of dropping cases, then a resurgence in March.
D84098BA-A10B-4362-8751-86DF27CA5AB7.png

The vaccine has kicked by behind. I have had a fever, chills, body aches, and fatigue. I stayed home from work today to recover.

I would get it again. I will say that the vaccine has to have less long-lasting side effects than catching COVID. I have several 18-30-year-olds that I tracking that have heart failure with an EF less than 40.

This was your 2nd shot, right? I hope you bounce back more quickly than that first shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back