Coronavirus: What questions do you have?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is an interesting article. My gut says to remember that correlation does not equal causation. Anecdotally, I never had a positive Covid-19 test or symptoms despite my wife having it, I also recently was given an MMR booster when a Rubella titer was low at my annual physical.

Yeah, that's kind of where I was going with it. Also in the "that's ... weird" department, the study found no correlation (positive or negative) between COVID infection/severity and mumps antibodies from natural infections (not from the MMR vaccination).

It is interesting. Non-traditional treatments interest me. It concerns me that we have no heard much about this in 5 years since it was published.

I did some digging into the study that showed stevia drops do a great job killing Lyme disease in all its various forms. It appears that stevia is poorly absorbed by the body, and few Lyme practitioners have had much success with it. It works great in the Petri dish, not so well in the body... Bummer, as I had had some hope it might help me out. Just finding another practitioner more local to me that I can actually afford is gonna be a challenge (the old doc was 1.5 hrs away and he didn't take insurance so it got real expensive seeing him. Our income went down 10% so there went most of the available funds to pay the guy).

That is an interesting article. My gut says to remember that correlation does not equal causation. Anecdotally, I never had a positive Covid-19 test or symptoms despite my wife having it, I also recently was given an MMR booster when a Rubella titer was low at my annual physical.

The same is true with VIT D. I think we need more studies to look for causation.

When did Coronavirus arrive in the United States?

This question is tough to answer. I would guess NOV to DEC of 2019. We have begun to pull blood samples that are held for testing from late 2019 and we are definitely seeing antibodies in December of 2019. There is particularly a spike from December 13 to 16 of 2019. We still need to analyze the data more.

Indiana is horrifying: here is ICU usage:
Screenshot_20201203-223716.jpg

Edit, this is actually the hospital census not just ICU. We are at about 45% Covid ICU use with 20% free... The free is rapidly diminishing.

We are at about 6000 cases per day and 60 deaths per day, rapidly rising.

Well, let's see ...
Oh.
Yay.
By ABC 17 News Team December 2, 2020 11:26 pm Published December 2, 2020 8:41 am
... Nearly all of Mid-Missouri remains in COVID-19 'red zone'

Several cities and all but one county in Mid-Missouri are in the White House's "red zone" for coronavirus infection rates.

The report obtained by ABC News and dated Sunday says Missouri has the 22nd-highest case rate per 100,000 people in the nation at 468. The national average is 349 cases per 100,000 people.

The weekly report says that without health orders that require actions such as mask wearing and social distancing, "spread will remain unyielding with significant impact on the healthcare system."

Local and state health experts have repeatedly sounded warnings about the record fall case surge and its strain on hospital capacity. The Missouri Hospital Association reported Wednesday that 20% of intensive care capacity remains statewide.

https://abc17news.com/news/coronavi...rts-more-offenders-death-related-to-covid-19/
WEDNESDAY UPDATES: Missouri Department of Corrections reports more offenders’ death related to COVID-19

Missouri Department of Corrections COVID-19 dashboard is reporting nine more offenders have died due to the coronavirus since Nov. 25.
According to the dashboard, there have been 36 offenders' deaths and four staff that have died from COVID-19.
Currently there are active cases in the following facilities:

• ACC Jefferson City (1 offender)
  • BCC Boonville (6 staff, 1 offender)
  • CTCC Fulton (1 staff)
  • FRDC Fulton (10 staff, 190 offenders)
  • JCCC Jefferson City (10 staff, 12 offenders)
  • MCC Moberly (13 staff, 11 offenders)
  • WERDCC Vandalia (7 staff, 9 offenders)
Across the state, there are currently 500 active inmate cases and 147 staff cases.
FRDC Fulton currently has the most active cases in the Missouri Department of Corrections with 190 cases.

The WERDCC Vandalia facility has the second most overall number of coronavirus cases with 468, just behind FCC Farmington that has had 525 cases.

I don’t think there is going to be a Superbowl. This is getting real bad. 5100 infections in GA today and 43 deaths.

I don’t think there is going to be a Superbowl. This is getting real bad. 5100 infections in GA today and 43 deaths.
Desantis said he will not shut down any business and as you know the SB is in Tampa. The sunshine state is 100% open for business 😉

There is WAY too much money on the table for the SB to be cancelled.
My bet is that it will be played, without fans, or with social-distancing among a few token fans in the stands.

It helps that the game is scheduled for FL, the state in which the Governor does not believe in ANY Covid-19 containment measures, whatsoever, any more than he believes in 2020 election outcome:
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/pol...0201130-liy73dz2hvh2rl6fhj2izx55hu-story.html
Party on, dudes!

Desantis said he will not shut down any business and as you know the SB is in Tampa. The sunshine state is 100% open for business 😉

Yep, and FL is not the only one. As of late November, only 38 out of 50 states had mask mandates. Because they are all "special":
https://abcnews.go.com/Health/states-mask-mandates-map/story?id=74168504
The situation in FL is precisely the reason we cancelled our traditional winter vacation in that state.

1607146721921.jpeg

We have had a 300% increase in covid ICU admissions since Oct 1. Med floors are being used to expand the ICU and we have been making temporary units out of lobbies and conference rooms. The results of Thanksgiving will be telling next week.

US-wide Hospital Capacity - overall, and occupied COVID-19 Patients :
https://www.cdc.gov/nhsn/covid19/report-overview.html
What's missing to complete the picture is the rate of change over time.
For that, you would need to look <Percentage of Inpatient Beds Occupied by COVID-19 Patients – Change in 14 Day Period>.
CDC had stopped compiling those reports as of July 14, 2020. Which is not helpful.

HealthData.gov site does have estimated hospital occupancy data for every state:
https://healthdata.gov/dataset/covi...l-capacity-state/resource/82e733c6-7baa-4c65#
Built-in graphic function sucks, so here is my graph of the data as of 11/30, plus change in % occupancy from 10/30. By State, sorted from highest to lowest.
Situation in NM, ND, OK, and MO has deteriorated the most over the past 30 days.
Things are particularly disturbing in NM, where % occupancy hit 99+% on 11/25, and went above 100% on 11/28 and 11/30. Not entirely certain what 100+% ICU occupancy means, but have strong suspicion that that is not good for patient outcomes.
ICU occupied, by State.jpg

Interestingly, CA has tied enforcing stay-at-home orders to ICU capacity hitting 85%, as tracked by five (5) regions in CA.
By that metric, 2 of those regions (Southern California and the San Joaquin Valley) have tripped that threshold today, even though CA overall is at 75.88% ICU occupancy rate for the state. By tomorrow (12/6), some 27 million people in those two regions, will be impacted.
https://www.latimes.com/california/...california-stay-at-home-order-to-go-in-effect
I don't know if 85% ICU occupancy is a reasonable panic threshold, or not.
But if it is, the following five states have already crossed it: NM, ND, AL, TN, RI.

Lots of other insightful data series on HealthData.gov site as well, if one is motivated to dig in.

Last edited:
What's missing to complete the picture is the rate of change over time.

I didn't look through that entire site, but I didn't see any mention of the number of ICU beds which have expanded over the same time period too. We had a 6 floor tower under construction and open this Summer, so those were new beds which were rapidly filled. Every hospital has also enacted surge plans to accommodate more patients than normal. ICU level care is being provided on medical floors, some patients are being doubled up in single rooms, and temporary units have been built. It is like we have enacted a mass casuality incident plan for months instead of hours to days.

We have had a 300% increase in covid ICU admissions since Oct 1. Med floors are being used to expand the ICU and we have been making temporary units out of lobbies and conference rooms. The results of Thanksgiving will be telling next week.

Not at high here but we are getting plummets. Most of our hospitals are on divert with no where to send the patients. Huge increase last week And We are not even to the Thanksgiving peak yet,

2 counties close to mine are now on diverts. We have treatments. We have vaccines. But good luck getting any.
In 2018, my father got very sick w/ the flu. He was diverted from 2 nearby hospitals. Thats my biggest concern.

In 2018, my father got very sick w/ the flu. He was diverted from 2 nearby hospitals. Thats my biggest concern.

At least on my work days, we haven't been on ambulance diversion lately, but there have been times where outlying hospitals have not been able to get patients admitted to ours as quickly as needed. Sometimes we end up having to transport peoples further and further to get the care they need which isn't a desirable situation for anyone involved.

2 counties close to mine are now on diverts. We have treatments. We have vaccines. But good luck getting any.
Hope he gets better soon! I just got my flu shot last week, should have gotten it a while ago. It’s not 100%, but I don’t want to catch or spread flu, especially with Covid bearing down on us.

From a healthcare worker;
Amy Burke

tS2po1hnsddorhced ·
For all my friends who don't work in healthcare:
I want you to know how truly hard it is to wake up every morning and go to work. Knowing every day since April is going to be a bad day. I am physically and emotionally exhausted and I'm not sure how much more I can endure. We are running out of equipment, out of employees, out of hope. Its like trying to put out a massive fire with a squirt gun.
Im not ok. Collectively, we are not ok. Every single day, multiple times a day, I fantasize about quitting my job and disappearing for a few months. Every. Single. Day. There is no light at the end of this tunnel. It is never ending and no one seems to care about how its effecting our Healthcare workers. Everyone calls us heroes and angels... but everyone is still going out and socializing. Not wearing masks when they should. Thinking because they know the person, they can't possibly get sick. My own sister is an asymptomatic carrier. Am I worried about myself getting sick? Not as much as I'm worried I'll create carriers of my husband and son and then potentially spread it to my parents and grandparents, who certainly wouldnt fare as well as I would. Im so sick of people saying its silly, or that the numbers are padded. Im so sick of everything. I hope if you need a ventilator when you go to the hospital there's one available, but I'm not optimistic you'll get one. There is no optimism on groundhog day. We've been living the same day over and over for almost a year. Im so freaking done I can barely stand it. Stay home and wear a mask if you can't.

Three workdays in a row near 5K. The vaccine is due to us in March. Maybe health care workers sooner. Time to stop playing politics and make soem difficult decisions.

Everyone calls us heroes and angels... but everyone is still going out and socializing.

One of my nurse partners had a shift on the ambulance and just incubated a covid pt. On their way back to the hospital, a limo full of people partying pulled up next to them at a stoplight. It really made her mad, because this kind of behavior is not helping our situation.

Based on our behavior, we Americans seem determined to reach herd immunity (with a 1-2% mortality “culling” of the herd) before the vaccine rolls out in significant numbers. Sad. The high risk behavior continues to put even those who ARE socially isolating and wearing masks at risk, because these behaviors only reduce but don’t eliminate possibility of infection. Kind of like hosing down your apartment walls with water while the remaining tenants are soaking theirs with gasoline. :( :( :( :(

One of my nurse partners had a shift on the ambulance and just incubated a covid pt. On their way back to the hospital, a limo full of people partying pulled up next to them at a stoplight. It really made her mad, because this kind of behavior is not helping our situation.

You can’t fix stupid.

Based on our behavior, we Americans seem determined to reach herd immunity (with a 1-2% mortality “culling” of the herd) before the vaccine rolls out in significant numbers. Sad. The high risk behavior continues to put even those who ARE socially isolating and wearing masks at risk, because these behaviors only reduce but don’t eliminate possibility of infection. Kind of like hosing down your apartment walls with water while the remaining tenants are soaking theirs with gasoline. :( :( :( :(
Sad indeed.

I didn't look through that entire site, but I didn't see any mention of the number of ICU beds which have expanded over the same time period too. We had a 6 floor tower under construction and open this Summer, so those were new beds which were rapidly filled. Every hospital has also enacted surge plans to accommodate more patients than normal. ICU level care is being provided on medical floors, some patients are being doubled up in single rooms, and temporary units have been built. It is like we have enacted a mass casuality incident plan for months instead of hours to days.

The site does provide historical time series, tracking % of Staffed Adult ICU Beds Occupied.
Key being "staffed ICU beds", and evidently, staffing levels fluctuate throughout the week.
https://healthdata.gov/dataset/covi...l-capacity-state/resource/82e733c6-7baa-4c65#{view-graph:{graphOptions:{hooks:{processOffset:{},bindEvents:{}}}},graphOptions:{hooks:{processOffset:{},bindEvents:{}}}}

2 counties close to mine are now on diverts.

Here is an article with a link to per-hospital tracker on % of beds filled with COVID-19 patients:
https://www.npr.org/sections/health...which-hospitals-are-dangerously-full-is-yours
Data appears to be consistent with the previous source, but provides a higher degree of per-hospital (vs. per-state) granularity.
You can also search by county, or by hospital, for % of Covid-19 patients, as well as % of inpatient beds occupied overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back