Coronavirus: What questions do you have?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it would be hard, but were any cases identified where Covid was thought to have been spread from patient to provider?

I have noticed some other hospitals and other departments have been wearing cloth or surgical masks rather than N95s when working with low risk or patients where Covid-19 was ruled out. Our staff is pretty good about wearing PPE, but our manager and infection control office are pretty serious about enforcing policy. As best as we were told, there isn't though to be widespread outbreaks from patients, just spread in temhe community or break areas.

I am also looking for a Patient to Provider. I have not found a significant number. I have gone through 3 facilities of 18 and my current total is 1 in just over 3000 employees with 370 infections.

I am also looking for a Patient to Provider. I have not found a significant number. I have gone through 3 facilities of 18 and my current total is 1 in just over 3000 employees with 370 infections.
That is comforting, so our PPE is most likely effective.

Thanks. Guess if they don’t know if it’s pre-existing or developed during hospitalization it’s hard to say lack of Vitamin D has any effect? Just thinking out loud.

Our hospital's covid protocol address Vitamin D only that there is insufficient evidence to recommend routine Vit D administration to Covid patients, but since a deficiency is common this time of year, it is the provider's discretion to supplement based on routine lab tests.

Our hospital's covid protocol address Vitamin D only that there is insufficient evidence to recommend routine Vit D administration to Covid patients, but since a deficiency is common this time of year, it is the provider's discretion to supplement based on routine lab tests.

I am careful usually. Vitamin D levels may be insignificant. Correlation does not mean causation.

My fever passed quickly, however, a close associate tested positive today. We aren’t in direct contact for more than brief moments, and not without masking lately. I did go ahead and get tested today myself, and have to say, the brain swab is.......interesting. Not as bad as I’d imagined, yet not so pleasant I wish to do it daily. Results should be back in “24-72 hours”.....

I read that but when did they determine they had Vitamin D deficiency? When they were admitted or later on during their hospitalization?
And Vitamin D deficiency is more pronounced in the winter months iirc, I was informed by my Bariatric ARNP to increase my Vitamin D to 4000 I.U. per day (2 gelcaps instead of 1 per day) due to borderline low Vitamin D and winter coming on.

Think about the results when you dine in a restaurant.
Drove from Tennessee to Idaho with my son to give he and his wife an old car.

Flew commercial back.

Mask mandate? Yes, except while eating or drinking. Every seat aboard was full

We took off, guy right next to me ordered a drink, took of his mask, and nursed the drink the whole flight until landing.

The midwest is getting slammed right now. A friend who's a teacher in rural Iowa has had many cases at her school. She said the strain that's hitting them is making the kids sick (as in not asymptomatic) and putting the parents in the hospitals.

OK, so I have a question that, on a cursory search, was addressed a long time ago (in COVID time, anyway).

What is the death rate (deaths / infections) for COVID-19 currently?

Early in the pandemic, all kinds of numbers were thrown around because the data was...spotty at best. But since then we've started collecting much more information, treatment protocols have gotten better, and isolation (especially of vulnerable populations) has gotten better (then worse, then better, then...). I'm sure there's a good reference that tracks that statistic....

Thanks for all the great info you've contributed in here.

Well, scheist. My test came back positive. Feel fine, but will be keeping a wary eye on myself for the next few days, for sure.
Stay in, stay as safe as you can and make sure your vit D is up to snuff. :) Yes that is a military humor thing (gallows humor). With the present fatality rate I expect you will be fine even if you wind up in the hospital. I realize that few citizens can identify, but I would just as soon get the vaccine or the virus and get it over with. Been in to many close scrapes to worry about it.

Hi Chuck,

I've been mostly under the radar recently due to family commitments, but here's a question for you: On a conservative forum I frequent, there was a big hub-bub a week or so ago because according to them the CDC stated that it wouldn't be reporting influenza deaths this season (or something like this) and they blew it into a conspiracy theory that the deep state wants to make it impossible to separate flu and covid deaths.

The link was here:
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/overview.htm
And the statement that drew attention was this:

Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, this system will suspend data collection for the 2020-21 influenza season. Data from previous seasons are available on FluView Interactive.

I'm more level headed than most but isn't it very important to continue to collect this data? Perhaps (probably) I'm misunderstanding what's going on, hence my question to my favorite expert in these matters... :)

Hi Chuck,

I've been mostly under the radar recently due to family commitments, but here's a question for you: On a conservative forum I frequent, there was a big hub-bub a week or so ago because according to them the CDC stated that it wouldn't be reporting influenza deaths this season (or something like this) and they blew it into a conspiracy theory that the deep state wants to make it impossible to separate flu and covid deaths.

The link was here:
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/overview.htm
And the statement that drew attention was this:

Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, this system will suspend data collection for the 2020-21 influenza season. Data from previous seasons are available on FluView Interactive.

I'm more level headed than most but isn't it very important to continue to collect this data? Perhaps (probably) I'm misunderstanding what's going on, hence my question to my favorite expert in these matters... :)

Probably ok for now. Nationally, we have has a very low Flu positivity test rate. My data is a little dated. Flu numbers are at an all-time low. A few weeks ago, we has only 81 positive tests. That is an amazing downturn. Our lab is a regional lab and has a CDC supported BSL-3 competent. We have yet to have a positive test. Last year at this time, we had over 300.

Myth #1: HCQ is effective at preventing and treating COVID infections.

There is limited to no evidence that this is true.
Hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine, a treatment for malaria, lupus erythematosus, and rheumatoid arthritis, has been under study as a possible treatment for COVID-19. Current data shows that this drug does not reduce deaths among hospitalized COVID-19 patients, nor help people with moderate disease. Most importantly, there is no evidence to show decrease infection rates other than some small conjecture based reports.

The use of hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine is accepted as generally safe for patients with malaria and autoimmune diseases, but its use was not indicated and without medical supervision can cause serious side effects and should be avoided. Patients taking it should be properly screened prior to initiation.

More research is needed to assess its value in patients with mild disease or as pre- or post-exposure prophylaxis in patients exposed to COVID-19.

Myth #1: HCQ is effective at preventing and treating COVID infections.

There is limited to no evidence that this is true. Hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine, a treatment for malaria, lupus erythematosus, and rheumatoid arthritis, has been under study as a possible treatment for COVID-19. Current data shows that this drug does not reduce deaths among hospitalized COVID-19 patients, nor help people with moderate disease. Most importantly, there is no evidence to show decrease infection rates other than some small conjecture based reports.

The use of hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine is accepted as generally safe for patients with malaria and autoimmune diseases, but its use was not indicated and without medical supervision can cause serious side effects and should be avoided. Patients taking it should be properly screened prior to initiation.

More research is needed to assess its value in patients with mild disease or as pre- or post-exposure prophylaxis in patients exposed to COVID-19.

Anecdotal evidence on the prophylaxis aspect, my brother’s wife has lupus, and has been on the hydroxy for 25 years.......she tested positive for Corona last week also(as did my brother, which is who I probably picked it up from, as we work together).

Anecdotal evidence on the prophylaxis aspect, my brother’s wife has lupus, and has been on the hydroxy for 25 years.......she tested positive for Corona last week also(as did my brother, which is who I probably picked it up from, as we work together).

There are plenty of cases both ways.

Probably ok for now. Nationally, we have has a very low Flu positivity test rate. My data is a little dated. Flu numbers are at an all-time low. A few weeks ago, we has only 81 positive tests. That is an amazing downturn. Our lab is a regional lab and has a CDC supported BSL-3 competent. We have yet to have a positive test. Last year at this time, we had over 300.

This doesn't really surprise me, as you catch the Flu in basically the same way, and masks help prevent transmission for both Covid and the flu.

This doesn't really surprise me, as you catch the Flu in basically the same way, and masks help prevent transmission for both Covid and the flu.

I would suggest that the mask reduces but does not completely prevent it. I do not want to over-promise.

What's interesting to me is that:
- enough people are doing enough isolating/mask wearing/sanitizing so as to create historically low Flu infection rates,
- we are in the middle of an upswing of COVID-19 with daily new infection rates higher than anything we've seen, even in the early days when no one was wearing masks,

COVID-19 must be amazingly transmissible for both of these to be true. I guess that message doesn't come across well in the daily news cycle of stories ("Another 100,000 new cases today..."). Nor does the fact that the death rate is as high as 2.5% - I was really expecting it to be significantly lower.

Spent some time on covid.cdc.gov. Some really interesting data there - My reading of one of the graphs says that 95% of the deaths are in people over 50, with 80% of the deaths in people over 65 - and people over 65 only have 15% of the total reported cases. Good time to be young.
https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#demographics

What's interesting to me is that:
- enough people are doing enough isolating/mask wearing/sanitizing so as to create historically low Flu infection rates,
- we are in the middle of an upswing of COVID-19 with daily new infection rates higher than anything we've seen, even in the early days when no one was wearing masks,

COVID-19 must be amazingly transmissible for both of these to be true. I guess that message doesn't come across well in the daily news cycle of stories ("Another 100,000 new cases today..."). Nor does the fact that the death rate is as high as 2.5% - I was really expecting it to be significantly lower.

Spent some time on covid.cdc.gov. Some really interesting data there - My reading of one of the graphs says that 95% of the deaths are in people over 50, with 80% of the deaths in people over 65 - and people over 65 only have 15% of the total reported cases. Good time to be young.
https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#demographics

It is a good time for the young to take steps to protect the old.

Didn't you say a while back that due to the shortages of testing supplies, many places simply weren't testing for the flu?

So, does the downturn in flu numbers mean that there are very few cases of the flu, or that few hospitals are testing for the flu?

Didn't you say a while back that due to the shortages of testing supplies, many places simply weren't testing for the flu?

So, does the downturn in flu numbers mean that there are very few cases of the flu, or that few hospitals are testing for the flu?

One of our customers makes testing kits. Prior to Coronavirus they made flu tests. They've retooled and are now making covid tests excusively.

Last edited:

We use a respiratory swab which tests for a number of pathogens, influenza types and Covid-19 included. At least among larger hospitals, I suspect this is the standard.

I did. Some tests now allow for testing for both with one swab.

On a conservative forum I frequent, there was a big hub-bub a week or so ago because according to them the CDC stated that it wouldn't be reporting influenza deaths this season (or something like this) and they blew it into a conspiracy theory that the deep state wants to make it impossible to separate flu and covid deaths.

For what it's worth, CDC has never counted influenza deaths in the US in the past.
I'm not certain why (lack of uniform testing? testing error rates?). Perhaps, medical professionals on this forum can provide insights on this subject.
Instead, CDC has always relied on the estimates for counting instances of influenza illnesses, hospitalizations, and deaths. Details, including methodology for deriving those estimates, is here:
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/past-seasons.html

In our area (NJ), we've hit the 2nd highest monthly infection rate this October, since April.
In April, all kids were already 100% schooling from home, and virtually all non-essential employees were working from home.
Now, the 2/3rd of the school districts have opened back up for full, or part-time schooling. Virtually everyone I know, including all my neighbors up and down the street (all professionals), are back to going to work part-time or full-time.

Every week, I've been getting an email from the school district that reads: "another kid tested positive for CV19, but wasn't infected on school grounds, and contact tracing did not identify any likely infections in school".
Every adult I know who has gotten CV19 this fall, got it either at work, or (most likely) on the way to work. Then immediately spread it within the family.

Many in the US are taking more precautions, including wearing masks (though not everyone, and clearly not those attending political rallies), but we are DEFINITELY not socially isolating as much as we did in the spring.

And that's in New England / Yankee land.
In many other cultural regions, folks are putting more trust into politicians who claim that "Doctors are inflating Covid deaths", and that "we are rounding the corner".
And they are acting accordingly.
So does a sizeable proportional of TRF participants.

Thus we get what we've got.

US is tracking 5x cases/1M pop and 2.65 x deaths/1M population vs. Canada.
Mexicans are also better off than US citizens w.r.t. Covid-19 outcomes.
But Peruvians and Belgians are worse off, so hooray to us !
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
You can blame our leaders, or our Doctors, for the above.
Take you pick.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back