Coronavirus: What questions do you have?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The real answer to this question can only come after a proven vaccine has been developed and we know its characteristics.

However, with most communicable diseases, immune (vaccinated) people can still be carriers. So, my assumed answer to this question will be "Yes."

The answer is probably yes. Remember, the vaccine is to protect you primarily until we get 70% or more immunized. The mask protects others. You can still get infected after the vaccine. The vaccine will make infections less severe and less likely but will not lower the risk to zero.

I personally would recommend a mask during flu season from this point forward. We are in the process of mandating people stay home when they are ill.

We are in the process of mandating people stay home when they are ill.
Isn't it crazy when we have to mandate common sense?

While I do understand that losing work (if you have no sick days) can make life very hard for many, under the circumstances we simply have to do this. Support your neighbors!

While I do understand that losing work (if you have no sick days) can make life very hard for many, under the circumstances we simply have to do this. Support your neighbors!
I think that this pandemic highlights a glaring need to require all employers to offer paid sick time. Not only is staying home the best thing for the sick person, it protects the rest of the workforce from being exposed to whatever it is that they have.

Last edited:
And I know what you mean, but once again we are having to mandate common sense as well as common decency.

It is common sense and decency. Watching a common cold circle a board room table infecting each staff member like Pac Man eating dots over a month is ridiculous. We need to take care of our brethren and stay home!

why is effectiveness of 70% or higher seen as the level that it is a worthwhile vaccine, wondering why that level is set at 70% vs say 50%?

“Common sense” is an oxymoron.

Concur we need to look out for each other.

I am fortunate in that my company realizes how expensive it is to have us down, so they do onsite flushot clinics so we can get stuck and get back to work.

Before anyone returned to the office or lab we decided that no one in that returning group would have to use PTO if they had any symptoms, or exposure to anyone with symptoms. The only asks were that they get a PCR COVID test before returning to work, and they work remotely as best they can. Everyone is basically on the honor system. We figured if anyone is trying to exploit the system (which I don't think anyone has) it was worth it to provide confidence that noone was going to blow off any early symptoms to preserve their PTO.

We have a generous allotment of PTO, I recently cashed some out before I hit my cap and still have about 2 months worth. Despite that, my employer is willing to forward people PTO so if they are sick, they can stay home. I can't speak for other departments, but we have the honor system too. I don't think anyone has exploited the system where I am either.

And it would help if parents could stay home with a sick child and not send him/her to school or day care to spread it there.

Yes. We were rather impoverished when I was a child. My stepfather and mother made the difficult decision to stay home with us when we were ill rather than send us to school to infect the masses. It created economic challenges I am sure. They did it because it was right. Both were hourly employees so I am sure it hurt. They set the example for me so my wife and I do the same.

I suggest everyone do this.

why is effectiveness of 70% or higher seen as the level that it is a worthwhile vaccine, wondering why that level is set at 70% vs say 50%?

Here are two articles on the topic:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31924-3/fulltext
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...th/herd-immunity-and-coronavirus/art-20486808
I will tell you that this is not an arbitrary number someone just picked off the wall. It was determined by observation during the 1917 epidemic and is back by years of experience and multiple outbreaks and immunizations. The data is there to support around 70%. It can be a little less or a little more.

My hospital and organization is requiring 100% of all essential personnel this year and 100% of all active duty to get Influenza vaccine. You either take the vaccine. The only exceptions are medical and religious. If you are granted an exemption, you will wear a mask every day at work wether there is COVID or not.

From the Lancet article

"Dudley studied these students and complemented his data with studies from the Grand Fleet during the war and from the training ship HMS Impregnable (grievously susceptible, it turned out, to epidemics)."

I have crossed out "Impregnable " from my list of possible rocket names.

From the Lancet article

"Dudley studied these students and complemented his data with studies from the Grand Fleet during the war and from the training ship HMS Impregnable (grievously susceptible, it turned out, to epidemics)."

I have crossed out "Impregnable " from my list of possible rocket names.

That quote is hilarious. I love history.

There is new reasearch about to be released on. schools and the impact of COVID. As the pandemic closures march toward 8-10 months of U.S. children not being physically in school, many doctors and health professionals are questioning whether schools should continue to stall opening.

The negative impacts are taking their toll on children. From mental health problems to hunger to the risk of child abuse and more, the children are beginning to suffer greatly. Kids not bring in school is hurting them and it is more than just learning.

Contact tracing data locally has failed to show a single case of "supersprading". Meanwhile, schools around the world is mounting and places like India, Japan, Thailand, South Africa, and Vietnam are finding that opening schools did not contribute to “superspreader” events. In Sweden, there is zero mortality from the virus in the 1.8 million children who stayed in school in the spring. It makes you question our decisions.

Maybe those little tikes are not the Petri dishes I thought they were.

New data indicted that clotting and cardiac damage may play a larger role in COVID deaths. Not sure what this means for treatment or prevention yet, Data for blood thinners and aspirin is not quite there to suggest takign them. I also would not stop them if you do take them.

Another interesting article. We know Ace-2 receptors play a part, but we found the sticky protein that acts like those little burr balls you get in a field. It sticks to our cells and promotes infections.

There is new reasearch about to be released on. schools and the impact of COVID. As the pandemic closures march toward 8-10 months of U.S. children not being physically in school, many doctors and health professionals are questioning whether schools should continue to stall opening.

The negative impacts are taking their toll on children. From mental health problems to hunger to the risk of child abuse and more, the children are beginning to suffer greatly. Kids not bring in school is hurting them and it is more than just learning.

Contact tracing data locally has failed to show a single case of "supersprading". Meanwhile, schools around the world is mounting and places like India, Japan, Thailand, South Africa, and Vietnam are finding that opening schools did not contribute to “superspreader” events. In Sweden, there is zero mortality from the virus in the 1.8 million children who stayed in school in the spring. It makes you question our decisions.

Maybe those little tikes are not the Petri dishes I thought they were.

Ask and you shall receive, Aspirin appears to reduce the risk of death in hospitalized COVID patients. I am not sure I would start it as a means to lower risk in the healthy unless you have another risk factor such as a family history of heart disease or high blood pressure. It is definitely one to discuss with your medical provider.

In Sweden, there is zero mortality from the virus in the 1.8 million children who stayed in school in the spring. It makes you question our decisions.

That there would be no deaths among the *children* isn't all that surprising, given what we know about how COVID disproportionately affects older people. Was there any information in the study about deaths among teachers and staff?

That there would be no deaths among the *children* isn't all that surprising, given what we know about how COVID disproportionately affects older people. Was there any information in the study about deaths among teachers and staff?
Or among their parents. Here in Indiana we've had lots of kids sick in the schools that were in person, and several well documented cases of likely transfer to older family members. However, low density hybrid in person schooling has kept the numbers low. But Indiana is spiking alarmingly, and cause and effect are hard to unravel given our back to normal situation pre election.

Well... It's free, it's wonderful, and you don't need to wear a mask or go anywhere... and these days, the extended result is easily bypassed if desired.

I've always been a big fan of the process! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back