Coronavirus: What questions do you have?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any info out there how these various vaccine contenders would work in people with weak/suppressed immune systems? Myself, I have an suppressed immune system due to having had Lyme Disease. My white counts were normally in the 7-8 range, now they are typically 3.5 to 4.5. My doc, an rheumatologist and internist, said that he though that I was producing more white cells than that, but that many of them seemed to hang around the tick bite site in the tissues rather than being in the circulatory system. Which might explain why that area of my skin continues to show a red blotchy area frequently, despite it being 13 years since I was "cured".

The wife, she is on immunosuppressant drugs for psoritic arthritis, and so she can't take live vaccines, and she has to be super careful to not get sick.

She may or may not be able to take some live vaccines. Talk to her rheumatologist. It may not be all live vaccines.

And

My personal concern isn't with effectiveness ("does it prevent COVID-19?") as that data is easy to collect and interpret, and a statistical measure of effectiveness could come quite early, well before the whole patient cohort gets all their shots. There are lots of reasons to believe the vaccine should be strongly effective.

My concern is "are there significant side effects from getting the shot?" The ONLY way to know this is to give all 30k people their two shots (something like half get a placebo, not the new vaccine), wait TWO MONTHS and then review the placebo/vaccine groups to see if any negative outcomes seem stronger in the vaccine group. This vaccine uses a technology not previously deployed in a human vaccine (uses mRNA to get human cells to produce the protein antigen that induces our immune cells to generates antibodies against). The reason we do clinical trials is to collect the safety data as well as the efficacy data. While efficacy data can be evaluated early, if there is a strong signal, safety data requires that all the patients receive all their doses the same way the vaccine will be deployed (this should be done in November), and then time to collect any events afterward for a period of two months (into early January). Even if all doses were done by end of September, safety data could be generated for review at end of November, and then review could commence.

I'm unaware of how this can play out faster than this timeline without compromising the safety data collection. Even if they were looking at just one dose as being effective, that takes a month out but I don't think all patients have even gotten their first shot now...

Clearly Chuck knows more than us, so I anxiously await the news. With the death rate in US creeping back up, over 800/day last time I looked, time is lives. I just don't want something to be pushed through that later is shown to have serious side effects down the road.

New infections are more in the north. Odd.

Cool.
What's the expected/projected effectiveness rate?

TBD. I am hearing it will be similar or better than FLU. The average flu shot is 45-50%. We will be lucky if we hit 60%. Let me explain the rate. It is not that it protects against 60% of infections. It is more complex than that. It both decreases infection and decreased the severity of the infection.

New infections are more in the north. Odd.

Could this be because of weather? The mornings here are getting chilly but the afternoons and evenings are pretty nice. I imagine in the South, it is finally comfortable to be outdoors. With more people indoors in the North as Summer ends, I would expect the numbers to rise.

Could this be because of weather? The mornings here are getting chilly but the afternoons and evenings are pretty nice. I imagine in the South, it is finally comfortable to be outdoors. With more people indoors in the North as Summer ends, I would expect the numbers to rise.

That was the suspicion I posted a few weeks ago. Maybe on UV light but rather just bring indoors.

Maybe this was asked before, but from what I'm reading, some of the leading vaccine candidates require abnormally low storage (and thus transportation) temperatures (one, I think was -70 something Fahrenheit). As such, since most clinics and pharmacies, where many of us typically get vaccines, only have ordinary refrigeration (above 32 deg. F) how will those be distributed (assuming that one of those is approved first)?

That was the suspicion I posted a few weeks ago. Maybe on UV light but rather just bring indoors.

The Sturgis Rally and South Dakota state fair both happened recently with no CV measures. It's possible it helped spread it in the north.

I have personally volunteered to be the first one to receive a vaccine for our unit and hosptial. I would have volunteered to be a part of the research, but can't.

I have personally volunteered to be the first one to receive a vaccine for our unit and hosptial. I would have volunteered to be a part of the research, but can't.
Maybe this was asked before, but from what I'm reading, some of the leading vaccine candidates require abnormally low storage (and thus transportation) temperatures (one, I think was -70 something Fahrenheit). As such, since most clinics and pharmacies, where many of us typically get vaccines, only have ordinary refrigeration (above 32 deg. F) how will those be distributed (assuming that one of those is approved first)?

I think most are -70-80 F. There is some variability. The one from J&J is much more attainable and only requires one shot.

Hmm, "Coronavirus: What questions do you have?"
Okay, I've got one now, when will coronavirus kill the people who hacked the large regional hospital and got my and others personal data and medical records as per the letter which was in yesterday's mail?

🤔
Told a friend from our local creative wirters group about it, their reply,
I got the same letter. But it does explain some of the more recent scams I've received that had a lot more details about me. Not much I can do about it now except blowing them off.

Oh, great, that's all I need on top of the pandemic, and several different neurological, endocrine, mitochondrial diseases & the new neurologist thinks maybe autoimmune too.

So, again, when are those hackers going to get the virus and die horrible terrifying deaths as they suffocate from the fluid in their lungs?

Okay, I've got one now, when will coronavirus kill the people who hacked the large regional hospital and got my and others personal data and medical records as per the letter which was in yesterday's mail?

🤔
I got the same letter. But it does explain some of the more recent scams I've received that had a lot more details about me. Not much I can do about it now except blowing them off.

Oh, great, that's all I need on top of the pandemic, and several different neurological, endocrine, mitochondrial diseases & the new neurologist thinks maybe autoimmune too.

So, again, when are those hackers going to get the virus and die horrible terrifying deaths as they suffocate from the fluid in their lungs?
We can hope justice or karma or retribution of some kind (take your pick) find them quickly. Grrr

🤔

There is very few lower than hackers who steal identities.

Update: Working the COVID testign site today. Very low patient volume. That is a great sign. Maybe the public finally gets that this is serious.

Update: Working the COVID testign site today. Very low patient volume. That is a great sign. Maybe the public finally gets that this is serious.

Our county's COVID alert level was raised from orange to red. So now even small group meetings are discouraged (but sports are okay). We're shifting our church committee meetings back to Zoom.

Indiana has dropped its restrictions today except for Indianapolis and a few other places. Mask mandates remain in effect statewide. Our numbers haven't improved markedly but the powers that be are trying to make it seem like everything is back to normal. Fall spike, here we come.

But, everything will still be hunky dory at election time. It's almost like there's a correlation...

Most of the people I talk to about this at work are in similar positions as me or are the doctors we take orders from. I don't see very many administrators on a regular basis and never work with politicians. I'd like to think that nobody I work around has an agenda other than taking care of people or being prepared to.

I am so tired of politics. The virus doesn't care when it kills.

No one has a magical answer to this virus. It is going take hard work and a society willing to protect each other to be beat it.

Common, Chuck, you know better than to assume that ;)

I am so tired of politics. The virus doesn't care when it kills.
No one has a magical answer to this virus. It is going take hard work and a society willing to protect each other to be beat it.

You are very right.
But lets get real.
The Elections are now less than six (6) weeks away, and it would be foolish to expect a change in our leaders prioritization of self-interest and re-election concerns over public health measures.
If they didn't care and downplayed virus for the past 6 months at the national, state, and local levels, they certainly are not going to change that for the next 6 weeks. And vice versa.

For better or worse, a significant proportion of the US population does listen to our leaders' advice.
That's not likely to change over the next 6 weeks either.

Could this be because of weather? [...]With more people indoors in the North as Summer ends, I would expect the numbers to rise.

National Geographic has a handy county-specific chart of increases/decreases in cov2 Cases and Deaths.
I am not prepared to posit a theory as to why MidWest is getting hit the hardest now, but here is the data:
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...20200925&rid=48D8AF38258A6081E4777481F50D60CB
New Cases are the leading indicators.
New Deaths are the trailing indicators of past infection caseload peaks. There FL, TX, and CA have lead the country for the past few weeks.

There was a time when NY and NJ were #1 and #2 in the Cases and Deaths in the US.
We got hit early, and hard. Partly, that's on all of us for not being prepared, and not reacting fast enough.

Now NY and NJ are #4 and #8 in cases, and NJ will soon become #5 in deaths.
That's squarely on our political leaders for neglecting to take proper precautions to safeguard our people.

a

Common, Chuck, you know better than to assume that ;)

You are very right.
But lets get real.
The Elections are now less than six (6) weeks away, and it would be foolish to expect a change in our leaders prioritization of self-interest and re-election concerns over public health measures.
If they didn't care and downplayed virus for the past 6 months at the national, state, and local levels, they certainly are not going to change that for the next 6 weeks. And vice versa.

For better or worse, a significant proportion of the US population does listen to our leaders' advice.
That's not likely to change over the next 6 weeks either.

National Geographic has a handy county-specific chart of increases/decreases in cov2 Cases and Deaths.
I am not prepared to posit a theory as to why MidWest is getting hit the hardest now, but here is the data:
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...20200925&rid=48D8AF38258A6081E4777481F50D60CB
New Cases are the leading indicators.
New Deaths are the trailing indicators of past infection caseload peaks. There FL, TX, and CA have lead the country for the past few weeks.

There was a time when NY and NJ were #1 and #2 in the Cases and Deaths in the US.
We got hit early, and hard. Partly, that's on all of us for not being prepared, and not reacting fast enough.

Now NY and NJ are #4 and #8 in cases, and NJ will soon become #5 in deaths.
That's squarely on our political leaders for neglecting to take proper precautions to safeguard our people.

a

All true. In 6 weeks, we may not hear about COVID ever again.

I am taking a week of leave (vacation). My first days of leave since February. I realized I needed it when I almost when off on a patient what I recommended a flu shot and they argued and refused. The bottom line is a flu vaccine is your part to protect others and yourself. This is not all about you.

I did not realize how much I needed a few days off. Wow!

I'm glad you are able to take a break.

How is the rest of the hospital staff doing?

At ~6 months in, I think the stress is starting to show on the staff I come in contact with at various hospitals.

I'm glad you are able to take a break.

How is the rest of the hospital staff doing?

At ~6 months in, I think the stress is starting to show on the staff I come in contact with at various hospitals.

Rest of the staff is doing well. I am the last to take leave from the medical staff. I insisted they go first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back