Coronavirus: What questions do you have?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to hear of everyone’s losses. Will HPR activities resume in the fall or winter of this year if cases of corona continue to decline? Work has been very busy. I need rocketry or some hobby like fishing back in my life to de-stress.
HP rocketry has already resumed at many clubs as recently as last week.

Sorry to hear of everyone’s losses. Will HPR activities resume in the fall or winter of this year if cases of corona continue to decline? Work has been very busy. I need rocketry or some hobby like fishing back in my life to de-stress.

I think it is possible to have medium sized groups together without a vaccine. Our launches can blend well with social distancing. We just need to make the effort to add it to our “new normal”.

So it has been found that having patients in a prone position helps with this virus. Will this "proning" continue into regular nursing? Have there been any upsides for this position in the hospital setting for other diseases? Does it make anything more diffucult to do from a medical point of view?

Proning patients is not a new technique for respiratory distress. It is well accepted, just not talked about much outside the ICU until recently. There are major downsides concerning skin breakdown and pressure (same as a supine patient too) but moving and rotating becomes more complicated with tubes and lines in the patients mouth, subclavian veins, or femoral regions. It isn't used on everyone, but is used when the advantages outweigh the risks. I don't see that changing.

Proning patients is not a new technique for respiratory distress. It is well accepted, just not talked about much outside the ICU until recently. There are major downsides concerning skin breakdown and pressure (same as a supine patient too) but moving and rotating becomes more complicated with tubes and lines in the patients mouth, subclavian veins, or femoral regions. It isn't used on everyone, but is used when the advantages outweigh the risks. I don't see that changing.

Good point. I would not have intentionally said that. It is a new technique in COVID, but not in the ICU. It was first reportedly used in NY for COVID.

Some areas are allowing small launches now, this past weekend was the first organized launch for several. It all depends on where you are and who you are flying with.

Some areas are allowing small launches now, this past weekend was the first organized launch for several. It all depends on where you are and who you are flying with.
We are having a small launch weather permitting on Sunday in Indianapolis. The AMOREA club leadership has done a great job of working within the regional guidelines and done outreach to appropriate authorities. We are a small group and will use enhanced distancing methods.

I'm having a "discussion" on my Facebook page about the recent study published in The Lancet in regard to the Cloroquine drugs (with and with out Azithromycin). As I read the results, what I see is that taking any of these drugs led to an increased chance of death (as much as double or triple). Somehow some people are reading that they increased the chance of recovery *although* there was an increased chance of heart arrhythmia and death. So I have two questions.

1) If you have read The Lancet article, is there *anything* positive in it in regard to these drugs (I didn't see any)?

2) When did the US Army STOP using Cloroquine as an anti-malarial drug? I know that I took it in the early 80's when we were in Honduras (they had a big bowl of them at chow every day) but I think they switched to something else not long after that was only once weekly instead (and that one seems to be having all sorts of psychoactive side-effect problems).

After months of cleaning surfaces and groceries, and leaving mail and packages at least two day. What is your opinion of the CDC's guidance that coronavirus does not spread easily on surfaces?

2) When did the US Army STOP using Cloroquine as an anti-malarial drug? I know that I took it in the early 80's when we were in Honduras (they had a big bowl of them at chow every day) but I think they switched to something else not long after that was only once weekly instead (and that one seems to be having all sorts of psychoactive side-effect problems).

My parents were in USAID in the late 80’s to the late 90’s.When we were first overseas in West Africa in 1989, the standard was chloroquine and paludrine. As I recall, chloroquine was weekly and paludrine was daily. Both were the foulest pills I have ever had the occasion to taste. Later on (I think 1992-94 somewhere?) they switched to weekly mefloquine, which is the one with the psychoactive side effects. By then, chloroquine was pretty much obsolete as an anti malarial because there were too many resistant strains.

1) If you have read The Lancet article, is there *anything* positive in it in regard to these drugs (I didn't see any)?

1. They may be helpful in a small population. Most of the side effects are also in a small population and especially when combined with Azithro. That being said, I always said that I would have to be on my death bed to take it.
2. I have been in 22 years and have never seen them use it and I am medical.

1. They may be helpful in a small population. Most of the side effects are also in a small population and especially when combined with Azithro. That being said, I always said that I would have to be on my death bed to take it.
Thanks.

Today: I made contact with a large 3D Printing company to buy a resin printer to make NasoPharyngeal swabs to tets our patients. I will be using my hobby to help my employer make swabs to test our force.

Today: I made contact with a large 3D Printing company to buy a resin printer to make NasoPharyngeal swabs to tets our patients. I will be using my hobby to help my employer make swabs to test our force.

The fact that we're nearly three months into this and our military, and our hospitals, still don't have what they need and are making their own s&^t genuinely saddens me. I am glad, however, that the ingenuity of our people can overcome the ineptitude of our government. Thank you for doing what you do.

The fact that we're nearly three months into this and our military, and our hospitals, still don't have what they need and are making their own s&^t genuinely saddens me.
We just now got some cloth masks from our hospital. They were made by some company, but not sure who. We are still reusing N95s for 12 hours of patient contact or until they're soiled. They made us a clear shield to use during intubation, but my helmet visor works better. We also tried some printed PAPR hoods another local company made, but they didn't end up to be usable.

The fact that we're nearly three months into this and our military, and our hospitals, still don't have what they need and are making their own s&^t genuinely saddens me. I am glad, however, that the ingenuity of our people can overcome the ineptitude of our government. Thank you for doing what you do.

The problem is we are over-reliant on China and other countries. We have sold our souls for cheap goods. Years if not decades of poor governmental policy has set us up for the fiasco. We must return to the days in which we rely on more friendly countries for our products.

The problem is we are over-reliant on China and other countries. We have sold our souls for cheap goods. Years if not decades of poor governmental policy has set us up for the fiasco. We must return to the days in which we rely on more friendly countries for our products.
Decades ago, I used to think that we did not have to enslave the vanquished Japanese. We just got them to make and sell really cheap stuff for us. But then they eased in to making really clever high quality stuff, at competitive prices and we could not get enough of it. China, well they are just better capitalists that we like to give them credit for. (sorry for the BS.)

One of the key ways for lasting peace is increasing socioeconomic dependence, or interdependence. We just need fair trade. Of course people and nations may disagree on what is fair.

Our Amish communities provide an interesting example. They are not ludites, but their mantra is self sufficiency. They will buy that commercial water pump for their community well, but only after they convince themselves that they could have built it themselves, at a higher cost. The US needs greater self sufficiency in many key areas. but we need to be wise about it.

I'm flying the flag today, because I think it will rain tomorrow on Memorial day. The parades and the Great Race Race are cancelled due to Covid-19 concerns. and there is no regional rocket contest to attend. I do not mind buying foreign made goods, but I do try to buy local. And yes, the US government has performed poorly, especially on resource allocation.

Decades ago, I used to think that we did not have to enslave the vanquished Japanese. We just got them to make and sell really cheap stuff for us. But then they eased in to making really clever high quality stuff, at competitive prices and we could not get enough of it. China, well they are just better capitalists that we like to give them credit for. (sorry for the BS.)

One of the key ways for lasting peace is increasing socioeconomic dependence, or interdependence. We just need fair trade. Of course people and nations may disagree on what is fair.

Our Amish communities provide an interesting example. They are not ludites, but their mantra is self sufficiency. They will buy that commercial water pump for their community well, but only after they convince themselves that they could have built it themselves, at a higher cost. The US needs greater self sufficiency in many key areas. but we need to be wise about it.

I'm flying the flag today, because I think it will rain tomorrow on Memorial day. The parades and the Great Race Race are cancelled due to Covid-19 concerns. and there is no regional rocket contest to attend. I do not mind buying foreign made goods, but I do try to buy local. And yes, the US government has performed poorly, especially on resource allocation.

I walked a delicate line of not saying America First. I agree, but I think we need to form an economic pact with our allies to become less dependent on our enemies. I would love more than anything to have a free market that removed all unfair business practices.

we need to form an economic pact with our allies to become less dependent on our enemies.

This is very true, and we need to ensure there are multiple sources for essential goods like PPE, medical supplies, and pharmaceutical products. Just in recent years, I remember a shortage of Vecuronium, different opiates, saline, sterile IV bags, and now PPE. We are running out of vent circuits for our transport ventilators with backorders through June now. Fires at plants have ruined worldwide drug supply and Hurricane Maria caused problems as well. These shortages aren't new problems, but we don't seem to learn not to rely on single sources and other countries.

The thing is...those studies that have found it beneficial say that it only helps if taken early in the diseases progression...so if you wait till you're "on your deathbed"... it absolutely won't be of any help....

The thing is...those studies that have found it beneficial say that it only helps if taken early in the diseases progression...so if you wait till you're "on your deathbed"... it absolutely won't be of any help....

Good points!

This is very true, and we need to ensure there are multiple sources for essential goods like PPE, medical supplies, and pharmaceutical products. Just in recent years, I remember a shortage of Vecuronium, different opiates, saline, sterile IV bags, and now PPE. We are running out of vent circuits for our transport ventilators with backorders through June now. Fires at plants have ruined worldwide drug supply and Hurricane Maria caused problems as well. These shortages aren't new problems, but we don't seem to learn not to rely on single sources and other countries.

One issue is that publicly traded companies are required to maximize profits for shareholders. If that means manufacturing overseas, that’s tough luck. Changing that law might make a big difference but would likely have lots of unintended consequences.

Balancing lower costs overseas by imposing tariffs will lead to retaliation by other countries that will really screw with our export businesses. Farmers (for example) have felt a lot of pain during the trade war.

Widely circulating is a report today that a weekly dose of hydrochlorequine (sp?) will prevent the Wuhan Virus.

At what dosage level is that effect?

Asking for my child bride... She’s been sifting through the internet all day trying to find out if her weekly Plaquenil dosage has that same effect. She also takes methotrexate (sp?).

Last edited:
Widely circulating is a report today that a weekly dose of hydrochlorequine (sp?) will prevent the Wuhan Virus.

Asking for my child bride... She’s been sifting through the internet all day trying to find out if her weekly Plaquenil dosage has that same effect.
Do you have any link to this report?

Do you have any link to this report?

Asking for my child bride... She’s been sifting through the internet all day trying to find out if her weekly Plaquenil dosage has that same effect. She also takes methotrexate (sp?).

Not much evidence to back this. One decent article with a little research behind it.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article...olitics-hydroxychloroquine-treatment-research
I certainly would not take it yet and absolutely talk to a physician first. It is believed that it hinders the viruses' chance to infect you. I would just try to avoid catching it with good hygiene until we have better evidence.

Wait, the president might have been partially correct? Imagine that.

I do not.

It was something I saw in passing on an email / digest from Daily Wire or Breitbart perhaps. It wasn’t yahoo, at least! LOL!

It would be better to ignore the propaganda rags (on both sides) and focus on credible scientific reporting.

I recall there was an NIH (I think) study on this topic due to start enrolling in April. I imagine it would take a few months to collect data because you would need to follow these patients long enough for a signal to show. It's not something relatively quick like testing a cure where you have outcomes in a couple weeks.

I’ve seen a few reports on various vaccines, with study sizes from 100 to 10,000. It looked like the normal practice was to go to 10K after a successful trial with 100. What’s the next step after 10K? A larger study? Full production?

I’ve seen a few reports on various vaccines, with study sizes from 100 to 10,000. It looked like the normal practice was to go to 10K after a successful trial with 100. What’s the next step after 10K? A larger study? Full production?

Full production usually follows as long at the 10K is somewhat of a good sample of the population.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back