Coronavirus: What questions do you have?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Supply problems are are huge problem right now. Some facilities are critically low on needle hubs.

The news reports are saying cloth masks do nothing. Is this true?

Nothing? That is malarkey. They reduce the spread. This is an all or nothing mentality. Reducing viral load reduces the spread.

9FEE93EA-840C-402B-8C8E-C4F0D253E304.jpeg

The best is clearly an N95, but wear something. I wear a cloth mask in public and a KN95 or N95 at work. If I am outside, I am not wearing a mask.

Nothing? That is malarkey. They reduce the spread. This is an all or nothing mentality. Reducing viral load reduces the spread.

View attachment 503490

The best is clearly an N95, but wear something. I wear a cloth mask in public and a KN95 or N95 at work. If I am outside, I am not wearing a mask.
Thanks for that graphic. As it happens, I'm having this same conversation with one our church choir members today.

Sorry for jumping in and not phrasing my response in the form of a question, Alex. When examined with a critical, scientific eye, masks are problamatic and a palliative anodyne at best. The issue is that the viral material is transfered from the infected is in the form of droplets. Whether on the infected or on the "protected", the droplets (in theory) stick to the surface of the mask. The issue is that the droplets do not stay liquid, they dry out. Now you have the liklihood of having a friable virus-containing powder on the surface of the mask. A cloth mask will do little to filter this dry material.

Here is another chart, I believe from the Wall Street Journal.

View attachment 503560
Cloth masks were up to the task for the original virus but when Delta was reported as having an R value of 8 I stocked up on N95s and wore them anytime I might be in anything like a crowd or close contact, gradually retiring my cloth masks. Once Omicron showed up at R value 15+ it became full time N95 in public indoors.

Sorry for jumping in and not phrasing my response in the form of a question, Alex. When examined with a critical, scientific eye, masks are problamatic and a palliative anodyne at best. The issue is that the viral material is transfered from the infected is in the form of droplets. Whether on the infected or on the "protected", the droplets (in theory) stick to the surface of the mask. The issue is that the droplets do not stay liquid, they dry out. Now you have the liklihood of having a friable virus-containing powder on the surface of the mask. A cloth mask will do little to filter this dry material.
Viruses have a limited ability to "live" outside a host. Some do better than others, but the virus requires the host cell. Moisture helps some, but they don't last too long on dry material.

After being forced to reuse the same N95 mask while providing airway care for covid patients, I would think that I have had a fairly high exposure. Yet rotating and making sure my masks were dry has kept me from getting sick to the best of my knowledge.

Stepson's symptoms ended over 14 days ago. He's still testing positive. How long after symptoms stop can one still test positive?

Can anybody recall any previous virus that mutated into so many variants in such a short period of time?

Pretty sure common colds and flus do this constantly, and that's why new flu shots come out every year. It's never going to go away, but COVID is likely to eventually fade into the background and become just another flu that's out there.

At least this is my understanding. Someone more knowledgable can correct me if I'm wrong.

Pretty sure common colds and flus do this constantly, and that's why new flu shots come out every year. It's never going to go away, but COVID is likely to eventually fade into the background and become just another flu that's out there.

At least this is my understanding. Someone more knowledgable can correct me if I'm wrong.

Sort of. Covid is an RNA virus. They were thought to have fewer mutations but that is partially false. I made a statement about this early on in the pandemic because that is what I was told during many lectures and briefs. Examples of RNA viruses are the common cold, influenza, SARS, MERS, Covid-19, Dengue Virus, hepatitis C, hepatitis E, West Nile fever, Ebola virus disease, rabies, polio, mumps, and measles. Some rarely mutate and others mutate like crazy (COVID).

To be honest, I think we are coming to the end of COVID as we know it. I could be wrong, but I am hopeful that we may see more mutations but I think they will become weaker. We will likely see stronger variants but in general, they will be weaker.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/omicron-subvariant-ba-2-is-rising-what-do-we-know-about-it-171026165.html
Can anybody recall any previous virus that mutated into so many variants in such a short period of time?
And if it keeps doing this, is it ever going to get any better with regards to the yearly death tolls?

Remember, if more people contract the virus, then even with a lower mortality rate the total death count can remain the same.

So far, I am not worried about BA.2. There is one that I might be worried about but it could easily be weaker than BA.2.

Another reason to keep your COVID vaccine up to date and wear a mask / social distance. Those that catch COVID have an elevated risk of serious heart conditions for one year after infection.

They need more data to look at how much vaccination lowers the risk, but there is some to indicate vaccination does.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-022-01689-3

I am sorry I have not been around much the last several weeks. I am struggling with some health problems of my own. It is not COVID. Doctors make the worst patients and I am not different. I have ignored the signs and symptoms too long. If you do not feel well, go see a medical provider.

Best wishes, Chuck!

I'll be ok. I have some elevations in my blood pressure, sugar, cholesterol, and calcium. I need to work on taking better care of myself. I am hopefully going to have to take a few pills and call myself in the morning.

Well, I have severe VIT D deficiency, high blood pressure, and High Cholesterol. Doc put me a weight loss and exercise program and give be a bag of goodies (pills). Unfortunately, it did not include Xanax.

Well, I have severe VIT D deficiency, high blood pressure, and High Cholesterol. Doc put me a weight loss and exercise program and give be a bag of goodies (pills). Unfortunately, it did not include Xanax.
Vit D deficiency? Now you have a medical reason to be outside flying more rockets!

Chuck,
If you can say and just out of curiosity, how much vitamin D were you put on? I had patients with 10k I.U. to 15k I.U. and day and the jejeunal-ileal bypass patients taking two to three times more. Of course the patients blood levels would be monitored and we'd get them into the normal range with whatever dose it took.
Sun is not considered a good thing anymore due to melanoma risk as you may know but some of the readers might not.
If you weren't taking any supplements beforehand maybe some OTC D would be good enough and a lot cheaper than a prescription.
Kurt (used to M.D. but retired)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back