Coronavirus: What questions do you have?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We have an app at work that we scan in and out with each day. If you have entered your vaccination info you only need temp under 100 to get in. No vaccine info sends you down a rabbit hole of contact and health questions, and you are strongly encouraged to wear a mask.

Temperatures are commonly used to screen but they have never been proven to be effective with or without a vaccine.

Maybe this has been discussed before, but....
I have a co-worker whose daughter got COVID. She is a young woman (early to mid-20's).
She now has Type 1 Diabetes (no issues before her bout with COVID). He said there have been a number of cases like this.
Can you comment on the frequency of this complication?
Thanks

Maybe this has been discussed before, but....
I have a co-worker whose daughter got COVID. She is a young woman (early to mid-20's).
She now has Type 1 Diabetes (no issues before her bout with COVID). He said there have been a number of cases like this.
Can you comment on the frequency of this complication?
Thanks

Type 1 diabetes is the one that requires insulin to live and not the one that is tied to insulin resistance and sensativity (type 2). Type 2 exacerbation or appearance is very common after COVID. I have never seen or read of type 1 diabetes after COVID, but it is thought that Type 1 diabetes is caused by a viral illness causing an immune response that attacks the pancreas. It is possible but it is also possible that she caught two viruses. It is also possible that she has Type I starting and the virus exacerbated the immune response. At this point, that is academic.

A very good friend of mine (older than me) had Covid and spent some time in the hospital and now has atrial fibrillation.
A younger cousin had it, was hospitalized, and now has damaged lungs (“the lungs of an 84 year old”)
A much younger friend wasn’t hospitalized, but still has taste and smell issues nearly 10 months after getting Covid. I know that symptom is common, but don’t most people get over it?
Is there an official list of all of the leftover maladies that many people are left? Is there hope that the maladies could clear even after so many months or should they be considered permanent reminders?

A very good friend of mine (older than me) had Covid and spent some time in the hospital and now has atrial fibrillation.
A younger cousin had it, was hospitalized, and now has damaged lungs (“the lungs of an 84 year old”)
A much younger friend wasn’t hospitalized, but still has taste and smell issues nearly 10 months after getting Covid. I know that symptom is common, but don’t most people get over it?
Is there an official list of all of the leftover maladies that many people are left? Is there hope that the maladies could clear even after so many months or should they be considered permanent reminders?

I have seen some lung problems and cardiac electrical anomalies. Most improve over time. Time will tell if it is 100% recovery. The way to prevent longer term complications is to get immunized. So far, there are no long term complications from vaccination - outside of 3 deaths from J&J.

I have seen some lung problems and cardiac electrical anomalies. Most improve over time. Time will tell if it is 100% recovery. The way to prevent longer term complications is to get immunized. So far, there are no long term complications from vaccination - outside of 3 deaths from J&J.
Unfortunately, all three of the cases I mentioned happened before the vaccines were available. All have since gotten vaccinated. I’m hoping to get my booster (third shot of Moderna) this month. My wife, who has been immunocompromised, has gotten her booster already.

So essentially an autoimmune phenomenon, and when you specify “live virus” meaning NOT associated with antibodies to the vaccine coded spike virus particle?

That is what we think And what the evidence supports.

What is a vaccine ?
I understand the term vaccine is to "prevent" infectious disease.
Polio, measles, chickenpox, diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis , etc, I consider diseases that are prevented.

Flu and Covid vaccines, I dont consider a preventing a disease.

What is the difference ?

Last edited:
What is a vaccine ?
I understand the term vaccine is to "prevent" infectious disease.
Polio, measles, chickenpox, diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis , etc, I consider diseases that are prevented.

Flu and Covid vaccines, I dont consider a preventing a disease.

What is the difference ?

You are splitting hairs. COVID is clearly an infection that causes disease. The vaccine prevents the disease process from progressing but does not 100% prevent infections.

A vaccine is a product that induces an immune response against something else. It does not have to be a virus, bacteria, or fungus. Most vaccines reduce the symptoms of the infection. Most are so mild you do not even know you were infected.

In that case, I’m curious whether drugs intended to slow autoimmune diseases might make it less likely to develop long haul effects.
I am not sure about long term effects, but many drugs used to fight autoimmune diseases (such as TNF inhibitors, Rituxan) decrease your immunological response to vaccines, meaning you are less likely to make an adequate amount of antibodies and are therefore more likely to get severe illnesses or die if you get COVID.
I ask forgiveness for not asking a question.

I am not sure about long term effects, but many drugs used to fight autoimmune diseases (such as TNF inhibitors, Rituxan) decrease your immunological response to vaccines, meaning you are less likely to make an adequate amount of antibodies and are therefore more likely to get severe illnesses or die if you get COVID.
I ask forgiveness for not asking a question.
That’s okay, I have another. Early during the pandemic we kept hearing about the cytokine storm being what actually killed people. I probably misunderstood but isn’t that the body’s defenses attacking the virus. What if people’s defenses just ignored the virus?
Put another way, is it the virus which kills us or the way the body reacts to the virus?
Apologies if I’m asking a stupid question. That’s my superpower. 🦸‍♂️

That’s okay, I have another. Early during the pandemic we kept hearing about the cytokine storm being what actually killed people. I probably misunderstood but isn’t that the body’s defenses attacking the virus. What if people’s defenses just ignored the virus?
Put another way, is it the virus which kills us or the way the body reacts to the virus?
Apologies if I’m asking a stupid question. That’s my superpower. 🦸‍♂️

The way I understand it, is it can be both. A virus will destroy the host cell, which after enough cells have been compromised, will cause the tissue and organ to not function properly.

Likewise, the immune system makes changes to the body in an attempt to contain and destroy the virus (or any invader). The body likes its normal state and the shift away from it has negative effects along with the desired goal of fighting the pathogen. Things like body temperature changes, mucus production, and other responses serve to fight the pathogen. The body can get carried away, shift too far from the baseline, and cause other problems.

Covid Fatigue.

3 older friends of mine have covid fatigue. None were hospitalized. O2 are good. Test negative.
They are at 3-4 wks after onset and experience fatigue about halfway thru their day.
Bad enough they have to lay down and sometimes will sleep.

What causes this ? And how long does it normally take to go away ?
If I remember correctly you had this and it took months ?

Last edited:
Covid Fatigue.

3 older friends of mine have covid fatigue. None were hospitalized. O2 are good. Test negative.
They are at 3-4 wks after onset and experience fatigue about halfway thru their day.
Bad enough they have to lay down and sometimes will sleep.

What causes this ? And how long does it normally take to go away.
If I remember correctly you had this and it took months ?

This is a form of Long Haul syndrome. Three things can cause it:
  1. Immune system activation
  2. Lung inflammation
  3. Cardiomyopathy
I am sure there are more, but this is what I am tracking. I am sure you can throw in depression from isolation also.

Found a quick article on Long Haul syndrome. A Third of COVID Survivors Have Long-Haul Symptoms

A third of covid survivors ? 6-9 months ? Whoa. More serious than I thought. And not talked about much.

Not serious, but lingering. Linger effects in "33% of COVID-19 patients who were never sick enough to require hospitalization continue to complain months later of symptoms like fatigue, loss of smell or taste and brain fog" sounds about right.

The good news is that the symptoms do improve in 90% plus slowly.

Any data on subgroups like yourself who actually had original Covid and THEN got vaccinated? I would imagine there are now significant numbers of such. Are they more or less susceptible to Delta?

Any data on subgroups like yourself who actually had original Covid and THEN got vaccinated? I would imagine there are now significant numbers of such. Are they more or less susceptible to Delta?

There is some evidence that they have very high antibody levels and are much less susceptible to the virus. More research is needed, but they have referred to that group as super-immune. I still would not play around and try to catch it.

There is some evidence that they have very high antibody levels and are much less susceptible to the virus. More research is needed, but they have referred to that group as super-immune. I still would not play around and try to catch it.
Does order matter? Infection before vaccination versus vaccination followed be infection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back