Coronavirus Outbreak

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.theatlantic.com/family/...social-distancing-over-back-to-normal/608752/

Interesting article describing four different Coronavirus timelines. Silly me, I thought it was science fiction describing different alternate realities. In a way I guess I was right.

Silly you, indeed, for neglecting to prioritize political/election-considerations in setting the National/Federal policy.

Here's an interactive graph of social distancing time vs spread.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...pen-america.html?referringSource=articleShare

I think this graph is misleading, as it suggests that social distancing for 2 months will cap US covid-19 infections at 14Mil (5% of the population).
There is no evidence to suggest that the virus will peter out after 2 months of social distancing.
Social distancing is great for lowering the concurrent peak demand on hospital resources (flatten the curve), but has no effect on overall population infection rate (total area under the curve).

Interesting article, but it would read much better without the obvious orange man bad narrative.

I concur.

You guys saw some kind of biased narrative in that article? The Orange Man is only mentioned once in the entire article, and they call him by his name and title, not “Orange man”. And it’s not even a very negative comment. I thought it was a pretty good article.

Wow. And a special someone wants to discontinue social distancing. :angiefavorite:

I do think the White House was trying to put the financial markets at ease. Ultimately, it will be the state's governors that will probably dictate how the situation is going to proceed. I doubt this will be over by Easter.
If the White House issued an executive order at the "very beginning" shutting down the country the President would have been castigated by the critics royally. "He has no right to tell us what to do!" would have been the cry.
As it turned out the state's governors stepped up and got the ball rolling as that's the way it needed to be done. If I were President I'd try to put a positive spin on the research of treatments/vaccines to try to help with people's
anxiety. As opposed to being all doom and gloom. Believe me, major academic institutions are working their tails off trying to come up with remedies.

Look at it this way. HIV was almost a "perfect disease". A perfect disease in a sense that the virus infected, outfoxed the immune system and took a very long time for effective treatment to be discovered. Now it's simply a lifelong
nuisance that can be managed and a patient can live a very long time.
With all the knowledge out there on virology I believe that will help in trying to battle this corona virus thing and come up with a treatment/vaccine. In the meantime stay apart. At least I have an isolated driving range that is hardly used that I can launch modrocs from if I get the itch. Kurt

And I'm not disagreeing with any of that. Just pointing out that the article seemed to be taking an idea and modeling the outcome rather than voicing a political opinion.

I live in Canada. Our PM resisted restricting flights from hot-zones at a time when it was critical. He also resisted plugging our porous border, where people have been flooding into Canada right up to this week. He chose to ignore them because he and others believe it to be racist. Trudeau also donated 18 tonnes of PPE emergency supplies to China in February. We are now running low on PPE, who could have seen that coming. All of this was after the WHO said prepare your countries.

I don't know about Canada, but Europe sent 56tons of PPE to China in January, when the situation was hot there. Now, that things have changed, the direction of goods has changed too. For example, 4 days ago, Austria received its first direct shipment of 130tons from China with more expected soon. I certainly can't see a fault in this kind of cooperation.

Reinhard

Want to know what today's total of confirmed cases will be? Just multiply yesterday's number by 1.22. It's a perfect fit for California as the graph shows.
upload_2020-3-27_10-54-22.png

Now, want to see the graph for April?
upload_2020-3-27_11-21-12.png
So . . . Does anybody think that Easter is a good time to "open up the country"?

Last edited:
I don't know about Canada, but Europe sent 56tons of PPE to China in January, when the situation was hot there. Now, that things have changed, the direction of goods has changed too. For example, 4 days ago, Austria received its first direct shipment of 130tons from China with more expected soon. I certainly can't see a fault in this kind of cooperation.

Reinhard

I don't see an issue with cooperation either, I do however see a problem with the timing. Let's not forget China turned shipments around in January, shipments that were destined to the US. I do not blame them for doing this, they were taking care of their people first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back