Coronavirus Outbreak

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My hospital just suspended all visitors. Exceptions made for 1 adult visitor in L&D and 2 adults for pediatric patients. Exceptions for visitors during end of life care will be made on a case by case basis. Lonely time to be sick, no matter what you are fighting. Sometimes family is what makes people fight and pull through.

My niece was just in for a cancer treatment here in Seattle and they allowed one adult visitor. Both relatives in retirement living apartments are no longer allowed visitors either. I understand why but it's difficult for the extroverts.

Our cancer hospital is locked down too. Now everyone that enters gets screened and visitors are limited. We were told to even be prepared for facilities to screen us before they let us in to pick up cases.

My wife and I are under a shelter in place order, but you can go outside as long as you aren’t in groups or mingling with people. Keep a safe distance from people not in your household. So we went for a nice walk yesterday. Sun was out for the first time in awhile. It was great to get out. There were others out on the bike paths too, but people were keeping their distance, so I felt it was safe for everyone. I’ve seen pictures of big crowds out on the San Francisco Embarcadero, partying in groups in New Orleans, or celebrating spring break on the beaches in Florida. That is completely irresponsible. If you want to get outside, you should, but don’t congregate in groups.

I hope so--we'll need it.

Current numbers from Worldometer are that US confirmed cases are doubling every 3-4 days. That puts us about a week behind Italy and a few days behind Iran. Italy has gotten the doubling time up to about 5 days by confining everyone to their homes except for very limited travel to buy groceries. On our present course, we'll be up around 500K cases in the US by early April and s*%t will get really real as we start running into hospital capacity limits. If we go to Italian-style quarantines, that stretches out to mid April. Exponential math really sucks.

celebrating spring break on the beaches in Florida
Bunch of freaking idiots down here. Police won’t enforce it. Personally don’t blame them. They’re busy enough. City council even said last night they don’t need the added exposure.

Bunch of freaking idiots down here. Police won’t enforce it. Personally don’t blame them. They’re busy enough. City council even said last night they don’t need the added exposure.

They should be uninvited and driven to the border.

Or have the guv declare an emergency and introduce them to the National Guard.
I know he’s working on it but it’s pretty hard with with as much coast line as we have and it’s spring break.

I'm just saying I don't understand how it doesn't make a much bigger mess. When I've seen a bidet on TV and movies it seems like the fountain of water shoots up 3 feet above the toilet.

Ahh. Now then, there is the European bidet, as depicted in that video, and then there is the Asian bidet.
The Asian bidet is the way to go here. Imagine a kitchen sprayer hooked to the water inlet on your toilet.
That's it. And it's all you need. Not that whole separate porcelain thing.

Enlightening comments from the University of Chicago Stigler Center on the benefits of aggressive testing programs: https://promarket.org/why-mass-test...uld-study-the-veneto-model-to-fight-covid-19/

This article was written by an amateur that does not understand preventive medicine. He admitted is not an expert and he proves it multiple times in the article. The author makes the statement "Generalized testing and two weeks of lockdown could work, but the latter without the testing may be insufficient. Unfortunately, the United States is going down the wrong path. "

Italy basically tested everyone, locked towns down, and then rationed care away from the elderly. Currently, we have a lower fatality rate, but that may change as we get more infections. Our rate was high when it got into a few closed, at-risk populations (nursing homes). Once it "escaped" into general pop, our rates dropped.

We do not have enough test kits to do mass viral test kits. It is not that the US is "slow to respond", but rather limited resources cause by overuse of test kits and swabs. The biggest problem in the US is that the test requires the same swabs as Influenza and often provider tests for both Covid and Influenza on the same patient. Because of our culture and desire to be tested for everything, we have over-tested for Influenza even when unwarranted. We are short test swabs and kits because of inappropriate testing.

The fact is that testing does not prevent infections nor change treatment. The lockdown is the key to prevention. The testing we are doing in the United States is the test those who are more likely to be positive rather than everyone. Once you confirm infections, some would recommend that we can assume symptoms consistent with COVID are COVD. You lock the town down based on suspected cases. I have recommended this in my community and time will tell if it will work.

This article was written by an amateur that does not understand preventive medicine. He admitted is not an expert and he proves it multiple times in the article. The author makes the statement "Generalized testing and two weeks of lockdown could work, but the latter without the testing may be insufficient. Unfortunately, the United States is going down the wrong path. "

Italy basically tested everyone, locked towns down, and then rationed care away from the elderly. Currently, we have a lower fatality rate, but that may change as we get more infections. Our rate was high when it got into a few closed, at-risk populations (nursing homes). Once it "escaped" into general pop, our rates dropped.

We do not have enough test kits to do mass viral test kits. It is not that the US is "slow to respond", but rather limited resources cause by overuse of test kits and swabs. The biggest problem in the US is that the test requires the same swabs as Influenza and often provider tests for both Covid and Influenza on the same patient. Because of our culture and desire to be tested for everything, we have over-tested for Influenza even when unwarranted. We are short test swabs and kits because of inappropriate testing.

The fact is that testing does not prevent infections nor change treatment. The lockdown is the key to prevention. The testing we are doing in the United States is the test those who are more likely to be positive rather than everyone. Once you confirm infections, some would recommend that we can assume symptoms consistent with COVID are COVD. You lock the town down based on suspected cases. I have recommended this in my community and time will tell if it will work.
Yes, the blog poster is not a medical expert. He, like all those at the Stigler Center, are Economists, not Medical professionals. I believe he is arguing to commandeer economic resources and programs to implement 100% testing in the U.S. (not just those at risk and exhibiting symptoms) and completely isolate any infected. He claims there is no plan in the U.S. to do this, as there was in the small town he references, that squelched the spread, and unlike ineffective strategies in other regions in Italy he references. If one is only testing the "likely cases," the virus will continue to spread because at any snapshot in time the majority of carriers are asymptomatic.

I understand test kits don't come out of thin air and the tests results are delayed. We still have the diagnosis made by clinical symptoms and imaging with treatment then given. I just wish the hospitals were more up front with cases that are diagnosed or assumed, but not yet confirmed by the CDC. People still don't believe it is a problem in our community when our units are filling up and the hospital is busy converting normal rooms to negative pressure rooms to handle more. Meanwhile, we are running out of PPE.

Ahh. Now then, there is the European bidet, as depicted in that video, and then there is the Asian bidet.
The Asian bidet is the way to go here. Imagine a kitchen sprayer hooked to the water inlet on your toilet.
That's it. And it's all you need. Not that whole separate porcelain thing.
Yup you got a point I missed. The ones made in Korea are the best. They're like the Lamborghini of bidets

I don't know, I've been to a few swanky places in Japan that have a toilet/bidet combo that would make an automatic car wash jealous.

I understand test kits don't come out of thin air and the tests results are delayed. We still have the diagnosis made by clinical symptoms and imaging with treatment then given. I just wish the hospitals were more up front with cases that are diagnosed or assumed, but not yet confirmed by the CDC. People still don't believe it is a problem in our community when our units are filling up and the hospital is busy converting normal rooms to negative pressure rooms to handle more. Meanwhile, we are running out of PPE.

That is another problem. Panic. We need to take a breath and think (not direct at you). A lot of hospitals are scrambling to do this.

The CDC guidelines are pretty clear. We use negative pressure rooms until they are used up, but it is not an absolute requirement. Gone are the days of mass TB wards, but a large confirms COVID ward may be a sign of the times once it is confirmed. On the CDC website, "ideally AIIRs (positive pressure isolation rooms) will be available in the emergency department and on inpatient units". We have a few in multiple areas, but not all rooms are negative pressure.

That right thar is a great product name!

I am hereby claiming the trademark and exclusive rights for Lam-butt-ghini. Butt I am willing to license the trademark in exchange for one deluxe butt washer to be delivered before my TP stash is depleted.

I am hereby claiming the trademark and exclusive rights for Lam-butt-ghini. Butt I am willing to license the trademark in exchange for one deluxe butt washer to be delivered before my TP stash is depleted.
How much royalty will you ask them to pay per unit? Wew today's the day the start of your fortune! Also maybe even Lamborghini themselves might collaborate and build a luxary founders addition!

I'm not thinking this thing will be over by October, but obviously some are speculating it will: https://www.golf.com/news/2020/03/18/augusta-hotel-prices-october-masters-speculation/
I think that since it has spread so widely already, this is another one of the viruses that we'll be dealing with for a very long time. I think the current outbreak will be done by October, one way or another, but it'll be with us in a much less infectious degree until we can figure out a way to totally eradicate such viruses.

We have cruise ship tickets for July. Dangit. It's looking more and more like we'll have to accept credit towards a future cruise.

We have cruise ship tickets for July. Dangit. It's looking more and more like we'll have to accept credit towards a future cruise.
I would ask for a full refund instead. I can't imagine them saying no given the circumstances.
You can always rebook in the future when things return to normal.

Well, the mayor here has declared an emergency shutdown for 15 days starting tomorrow. Restaurants and bars will only be able to offer takeout, drive-thru, or delivery service.

Good news and bad news on the tube this morning:
Good news: With the advent of increased availability more extensive testing is now being administered for the virus.
Bad news: The increased testing is showing that the virus has spread far wider than previously thought.

I'll be doing some home improvements around the house for the next couple of weeks.
Peace.

Back door route to industrial recovery data although there are anecdotes of plant managers turning on equipment even without production staff because central authorities are monitoring compliance with return to work orders via the monitoring of electrical consumption.

Nitrogen dioxide emissions over China

19 Mar 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back