GO Coronavirus measures by Tripoli - Return to Flight

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not disagreeing with the rules. Just don't understand the reason they use to make them. We have a 100 or so people at a launch.. Everything I hear says outdoor gatherings are ok using the 6 foot rule. But then the service today was inside, elbow to elbow in some pews.
I don’t know enough about the funeral to know whether the elbow to elbow only included family under the same roof or people from different homes, but government fails us when it doesn’t establish reasonable standards.

we waited until the state allowed 50 people max. I hope we do not have to turn people away.

I don’t know enough about the funeral to know whether the elbow to elbow only included family under the same roof or people from different homes, but government fails us when it doesn’t establish reasonable standards.
A funeral for someone only happens once. I'm glad they are being less strict on those. My wife went to one early in this, and it was limited to blood relatives and their spouses. Some (like myself) didn't make it, and it still probably had 50 to 100 people. Lots of big families, with big groups of people from the same household.

Unfortunately, the rules are broad blanket things, that can't imagine every possibility. For "outdoor gatherings" the officials are probably imagining parties and concerts, with people still packed in somewhat close, milling about and mingling.

Officials probably never imagined a group of nerds, spread out at their own cars, prepping rockets in a huge, open field. "Outdoor recreation" is probably closer to what we do, disease spreading wise. Congrats on reopening.

I think we will be a go in September. Not sure what the limits will be by then.

Friends and family were allowed. Iget around lots, for work. Just about every state since this all happened. Every state is different. Every plant I go to is different. Some will not allow you out of the truck, some, nothing has changed.

Friends and family were allowed. Iget around lots, for work. Just about every state since this all happened. Every state is different. Every plant I go to is different. Some will not allow you out of the truck, some, nothing has changed.

Not only that, but many counties are different, parks may have different rules than the county in which they are present, etc.etc.etc. I know a park I fly in has a 10 person limit for events. I suppose if 15 people just showed up there haphazardly that's ok since the part is open to the public. Does it make sense? No. But those are the rules so we follow them and limit launches to 10.

Interestingly, I don't know what happens if people just stop by to watch, unaffiliated with the launch? The park is open and there is no way to force people to leave the area...

Anyway, I give the state department responsible a pass. They are trying to make rules given a unique situation for which we have often unclear guidance. Different agencies are responsible for different things - the park is covered by one agency, funerals may well be covered by another, or maybe the local county or city. It doesn't make sense but sometimes life doesn't. Our hobby has survived worse things than temporary limits of 10.

This may have different in some industries. I will tell you that medicine is revolutionary changed. Before this, I could not get patients and providers to do virtual medical visits. In fact, I used to get patient complaints that the provider insisted that a visit be virtual and the patient did not want it. Now, patients and providers and both insisting that we never go back.

Our pharmacy is in a drive-up tent. No one wants to back to waiting in lines.

This may have different in some industries. I will tell you that medicine is revolutionary changed. Before this, I could not get patients and providers to do virtual medical visits. In fact, I used to get patient complaints that the provider insisted that a visit be virtual and the patient did not want it. Now, patients and providers and both insisting that we never go back.

Our pharmacy is in a drive-up tent. No one wants to back to waiting in lines.
Yup, times have and are still changing. My wife has the video visits all the time. Which is kind of good as they would not let me into an in person visit with her. So that way at least now I can sit there and talk with the Doctor also.

Not only that, but many counties are different, parks may have different rules than the county in which they are present, etc.etc.etc. I know a park I fly in has a 10 person limit for events. I suppose if 15 people just showed up there haphazardly that's ok since the part is open to the public. Does it make sense? No. But those are the rules so we follow them and limit launches to 10.

Interestingly, I don't know what happens if people just stop by to watch, unaffiliated with the launch? The park is open and there is no way to force people to leave the area...

Anyway, I give the state department responsible a pass. They are trying to make rules given a unique situation for which we have often unclear guidance. Different agencies are responsible for different things - the park is covered by one agency, funerals may well be covered by another, or maybe the local county or city. It doesn't make sense but sometimes life doesn't. Our hobby has survived worse things than temporary limits of 10.
I was asked about spectators who just drop by at rocket launches. My interpretation is that they are separate from the participants and not part of the participating groups. In other words, I would have done what I could to keep them from mingling with the participants and if that distancing couldn’t be maintained I would paused the launch. Hopefully they would have grown bored and moseyed away, but if not then the launch would have been over.
Every place is different. I heard from one place in the south where the landowners and every person there would receive a $500 fine. It’s possible that the organizers and landowners would have been fined $500 per person. That launch was cancelled.
The actual wording used by the AHJs are extremely important as well. Here in Montana the public health order prohibited groups larger than 10 if social distancing wasn’t easy to accomplish. My story, and I would have stuck to it, is that social distancing was easy to accomplish and so the 10 person limit wouldn’t apply.

Was any of the Tripoli return to launch information posted to the Tripoli Member Forum? Although I am registered to the Membership and TAP forums. I haven't received any email notification postings on the subject. Yes I checked my spam folder.

Return to Flight - Tripoli
On Tuesday, April 28th, the Tripoli Rocketry Association moratorium on group activities expires. As we slowly and carefully resume our rocketry activities, please consider the following:
Prefectures must follow all local health department rules applicable to their location. The local health department is just another AHJ. In order to make sure all local health department rules are followed, Prefects or Launch Directors should contact their local health department for clearance before holding their first launch. Please help them understand that:

· Our hobby should be considered as an Outdoor Recreation which easily supports Social Distancing.
· Our launches are not a Public Assembly.

Be sure to document the name of the person you speak to and the date and time of your conversation. If possible get them to send you an email granting you permission to proceed and listing any restrictions they impose.

We all have a responsibility to keep common surfaces clean that might transfer the coronavirus, such as interiors and door handles of porta-potties, surfaces of inspection tables, and launch equipment. Although flyers are expected to bring their own masks, cleaning wipes, and hand sanitizer, Prefectures should plan on having extras.

If it's possible to avoid or even eliminate common contact surfaces, that's even better. For instance, it’s not necessary for rocket inspectors to touch rockets during inspection. Inspectors can direct the flyer to demonstrate whatever is needed. Also, find ways to safely transfer flight cards. This may require sanitizing your hands before and after handling them.

Make a list of attendees (spectators and flyers) to enable contact tracing if an attendee is later diagnosed as positive for Covid-19.

Prefects or Launch Directors should communicate the following rules and any other rules required by the local health department (such as number of persons allowed) to your members before the launch. You should also reinforce them during the launch with onsite signs:
1. Social distancing is required.
2. Masks must be worn when social distancing cannot be ensured, such as working with a pad manager.
3. At the Prefect's, Launch Director's, or RSO's discretion, people who fail to protect others by using Social Distancing or masks may be sent away.
4. Sanitize hands frequently, especially before and after touching surfaces that may be touched by others.
5. Anyone who does not feel well, or those who are at-risk individuals, or who have at-risk members in their households, should not attend.
Was any of the Tripoli return to launch information posted to the Tripoli Member Forum? Although I am registered to the Membership and TAP forums. I haven't received any email notification postings on the subject. Yes I checked my spam folder.

Y
Hi Fed,
The announcement above was posted in the Prefects’ Forum on April 26, the same day as it was posted here and on Facebook.
If your Prefect didn’t get notified, he or she should make sure the notification didn’t go into their Spam folde. All Prefects are supposed to be subscribed to the Prefects’ Forum.

Y
Hi Fed,
The announcement above was posted in the Prefects’ Forum on April 26, the same day as it was posted here and on Facebook.
If your Prefect didn’t get notified, he or she should make sure the notification didn’t go into their Spam folde. All Prefects are supposed to be subscribed to the Prefects’ Forum.

All well and good Steve. However, posting the same information to the Membership Forum, if for no other reason than general membership information, would be nice. Should we now consider the Rocketry Forum the best place to get up to date Tripoli general/important information? If I'm missing something, please explain. Other than, our club notification of launch cancellations, nothing was ever mentioned, concerning Tripoli or NAR cov 19 launch policy by our Prefect.

Last edited:
All well and good Steve. However, posting the same information to the Membership Forum, if for no other reason than general membership information, would be nice. Should we now consider the Rocketry Forum the best place to get up to date Tripoli general/important information? If I'm missing something, please explain. Other than, our club notification of launch cancellations, nothing was ever mentioned, concerning Tripoli or NAR cov 19 launch policy by our Prefect.
The post I made to the Prefects’ Forum was the official notification to the Prefects. As our official representative, your Prefect should have notified you. You should ask your Prefect what happened.
Posts to other places, such as Facebook otr TRF are done in an effort to reach as many people as possible and usually follow the official notification on the Prefects’ Forum.
I did include an earlier notification in the Members’ Forum on April 17th when I announced that the ban would be lifted on either April 28th or earlier in this thread: https://www.tripoli.org/Forums/aft/561. I should have also posted the actual announcement there after I informed the Prefects. After posting it in numerous other places and fielding questions about it I didn’t realize that I didn’t. Can you ever forgive me?

The post I made to the Prefects’ Forum was the official notification to the Prefects. As our official representative, your Prefect should have notified you. You should ask your Prefect what happened.
Posts to other places, such as Facebook otr TRF are done in an effort to reach as many people as possible and usually follow the official notification on the Prefects’ Forum.
I did include an earlier notification in the Members’ Forum on April 17th when I announced that the ban would be lifted on either April 28th or earlier in this thread: https://www.tripoli.org/Forums/aft/561. I should have also posted the actual announcement there after I informed the Prefects. After posting it in numerous other places and fielding questions about it I didn’t realize that I didn’t. Can you ever forgive me?

I still believe posting to the Tripoli Forum is a good idea that should be a priority over other forums. However, you have done nothing requiring forgiveness... We all do the best we can. I'm sure I'll hear from our Prefect..:)-) BTW, I don't hit the forums every day, sometimes weeks go by--but email I hit daily, sometimes twice or more...

Be safe and secure, as this virus thing is for from over.

I still believe posting to the Tripoli Forum is a good idea that should be a priority over other forums. However, you have done nothing requiring forgiveness... We all do the best we can. I'm sure I'll hear from our Prefect..:)-) BTW, I don't hit the forums every day, sometimes weeks go by--but email I hit daily, sometimes twice or more...

Be safe and secure, as this virus thing is for from over.
I agree. After all the harping I have done to get people to use the Members forum I’m embarrassed that I didn’t. I should have posted it to the members’ forum. I did today.

Back