Cornered - A NewWay Rocketry Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdjsky01

Kim's Rocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Back months before my entire existence CATO'd in my face, I had a dollar or three from a sale of an eyepiece. I ordered a NewWay Cornered. As I finished building the @Cape Byron Two Up, it's being painted, I pulled the Cornered from the build pile about 7 days or so ago. I needed something, anything, to numb my mind from the self-pity party (see "What I did INSTEAD of rocketry).

I could have sworn I did a parts image... but alas... my mind is still pretty messed up... The kit is SUPER complete. Down to giving you sandpaper and q-tips. I'd prefer $3 off the price and use what I have, but hey, if you are a newbie, you almost need nothing but glue and paint.

Cornered-00001.JPG

So by this image as you can see, I'd done the motor mount and some Elmer's FnF. The 'spirals' in the square tubing are deep. But the do fill easily. The tubing when sanded gets pretty 'hairy'. There is no glassine which is fine by me. However sanding the filler with 150 grit produced a rougher surface that a tube might have.

Cornered-00002.JPG

Cornered-00006.JPG

Last edited:
I simply could not bring myself to have no payload section when AFAICT they supplied one. So I cut some scrap basswood and added a scrap reinforcement where the screw eye will go.
Cornered-00005.JPG

Which then begged the question, nice going idiot! Where are you gonna anchor the piece of Kevlar shock cord???? Looking down the motor mount, well it became obvious.

Cornered-00007.JPG

I ran the cord down a small gap in the motor mount as shown above.

As shown next, I need to make sure it stays out of the way of the fin slot - show IN the fin slot for clarity.

Cornered-00008.JPG

I then tied a loop around both motor tubes, squirted some glue down there and sealed those corners.

Cornered-00009.JPG

I have quite a few NewWay kits. Rick designs and manufactures great kits.

I tried to create an OpenRocket file. Of course I had to use a BT55 tube and another hack. But NewWay included like 10 tons of washers. The, admittedly approximate, sim shows that is just not needed. If you have an OR or RS sim that you believe approximates the Cornered, pls attach it here. I'll be honest, I am a low and slow guy even with clusters. But it 'SEEMS' Cornered is pretty darn stable. Is it because of the square tubing? The square rings on the fins would only make it MORE stable right? They are drag. Like a cone.

Thoughts ?

Got some primer on the Cornered. Really really fuzzy at the moment. Far more so than most tube rockets. All from sanding the tube after the Fill n Finish.

That MindSims extremely stable. Plus the tubing is much heavier than cylindrical tubing, so the the rocket body itself adds a lot to stability. The fins stick out pretty far too, so they don’t need to be that big. Does it come with a square chute?

That MindSims extremely stable. Plus the tubing is much heavier than cylindrical tubing, so the the rocket body itself adds a lot to stability. The fins stick out pretty far too, so they don’t need to be that big. Does it come with a square chute?
Honestly I did not unpack the chute as I have a zillion of them already from 9 to 96 inches. :)
Certainly a sim using BT55 shows it really quite stable even with C6-5s. But newway included these extra washers as an addendum. So there must be a reason. Is this Rich guy on TRF?

Honestly I did not unpack the chute as I have a zillion of them already from 9 to 96 inches. :)
Certainly a sim using BT55 shows it really quite stable even with C6-5s. But newway included these extra washers as an addendum. So there must be a reason. Is this Rich guy on TRF?
Rick Randol is @Bluegrass Rocket on TRF.

I'm 67 years old and have never heard the word "greeble" before :questions:
I think I heard Adam Savage use it once and explain where it came from, but I had forgotten about it until I heard it on here again a while back. Then I went to label a small container with the word and had forgotten it again. Maybe this time it will stick

Back