Cormoran MK1, my firts rocket and design.

Discussion in 'Plans' started by Nacho, Jan 12, 2019.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Jan 12, 2019 #1

Nacho

Nacho

Nacho

Hi,
    Today I would like to share with you my first ever rocket:

Cormoran MK1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Specs:
    • Length: 370mm
    • Body diameter: 32mm
    • Propulsion: C6-3
    • Mass with motors:124g
    • Expected apogee: 150m (~495ft)
    • Build material: PLA

About it:
    I have been interested in rocketry for a long time. For one reason or the other I really never got into it. I recently purchased a 3D printer and I thought I would give a try at designing my own model rocket!
    I started by printing some test parts: body tubes, parts with holes, nose cones etc. After having a better idea of the weights and dimensions I jumped to OpenRocket and made the rocket design:

[​IMG]
    From here, I started designing the actual components using Fusion360. It took me a few weeks to learn the tool and also perfect the measurement of parts that had to fit together.

Up-coming flight:
    At this time, the rocket is finished and I am running some simulations to make sure it will fly safely. I am also finishing my chute assembly. This week I will start the works on the launch pad. I am expecting to be ready to go in about 2-3 weeks.

The first flight will be performed using a smaller engine (B4) and the apogee should be at around 50m (~170ft). I think this is a good idea as I have never launched a rocket before :p.

Once I confirm all the parts are working nominally, I will proceed to launch with the C engine.

OpenRocket Files:

You can download the plans for this rocket in the attachments section.
    At some point, I would like to release the actual component parts, however, I would prefer to first test this design and make sure it actually flies!

Thanks a lot for reading, wish you clear skies!
    ~Nacho.

Attached Files:

2. Jan 12, 2019 #2

mccordmw

mccordmw

mccordmw

Did you physically measure the CG? Or are you relying on OpenRocket to calculate it? If it's programmatically derived, you might want to double check it since I don't see fin roots or centering rings in your snapshot above.

3. Jan 12, 2019 #3

Nacho

Nacho

Nacho

Yeah, I double checked it once I got the motors and it is pretty close to the simulated CG!

4. Jan 12, 2019 #4

Zeus-cat

Zeus-cat

Zeus-cat

What brand motors are you using? I hope they aren't Quest! Those suckers burn hot. If you are using Klima motors you should ask people how hot they get. We don't have them over here in the colonies so most people on the forum have no experience with them.

Is your motor mount plastic or does the motor slide into a paper tube (or liner)? I know people that have 3-D printed rockets and plastic motor mounts are questionable as the heat from the motor can damage them. I believe they recommend keeping the motor in the mount until it has cooled. That way the spent motor keeps the mount from warping as everything cools. Still, you may want to build our next rocket with a paper motor mount to reduce the heat and warping issue.

Cool looking rocket.

5. Jan 12, 2019 #5

Nacho

Nacho

Nacho

Hi Zeus, I'm using ESTES motors. And yes, I did 3D print the mount. I'm a bit concerned about how will the mount react to the heat of the motor. However, the burn time is quite short so I hope it will keep its integrity during flight.

For my next project, I will replace the body material for cardboard and I would like to experiment with ABS for the mount (this material has a higher glass transition temperature).

Thanks for your feedback :)

6. Jan 13, 2019 #6

mccordmw

mccordmw

mccordmw

Estes don't burn very hot until you get up to E or F. The F15 gets really toasty.

7. Jan 13, 2019 #7

Nacho

Nacho

Nacho

Good to know! There is some way to go before I fire an F motor :D

8. Jan 15, 2019 at 5:20 PM #8

Nytrunner

Nytrunner

Nytrunner

Master of Rivets

If you can get it, try PETG as a filament.

We have a club member that prints it for 29mm motor mounts (metal case reload motors) and it hasn't seemed to be a problem yet.

9. Jan 15, 2019 at 8:18 PM #9

Nacho

Nacho

Nacho

That's a good choice, I will consider using it in future builds.

These last few days I've been working on my chute assembly:

[​IMG]

I will be redoing my CG tests as I had to add a few parts to hold the shock cord.

~Nacho.