Copperhead Igniters Re-Useable?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomopbo

Reaction score
I was wondering if copperhead igniters "could" be re-useable.
There is the end with the clips that is fine. There there is the ignition spot that splits after it is burned. Could it be cut off and dipped in "Magnelite Pyrogen" (which I have) and used again?

I was thinking of buying a pack for "G" motors and reusing some for "E" engines. That way they would be long enough if this technique will work.

Well, the question is: Are they usable in the first place :p

I dont think so, because Aerotech uses a pyrogen that lights when it conducts electricity (or that's how I interpret it) and I really don't think a copperhead could be reused... Although I have a question: I once saw some rear windshield heating element repair glue, it was like glue with copper in it or something. I was wondering i this could be used to fix copperheads?

Well, copperheads did not get there nickname for nothing. Using them is what started me down the line of making my own ignitors as they were just to frustrating. :(

The thought of reusing them would be very very frustrating, but try if you must. :confused:

Conductive pyrogen is easy enough to make, just add either carbon or graphite to the mix and test for conductivity.

However, I agree with JCRocket its not worth the trouble.
Firefox has mixes of both Pyrogen and conductive pyrogen. I have not used either and have seen mixed reviews of it but I think that it would be a good place to start. For ignitor wires the wirewrap method outlined on Info-central works great.

Scott

Cool,
Thanks for the info. I have some motors from an online auction but no igniters. I thought I might try to use the resources I had to use the motors without buying any igniters (or buying longer ones). Oh well, doesn't sound worth the trouble though.

Back