Cooling motor casing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aw, he admitted we called his bluff and flounced. I was hoping for the "I can't tell you because of ITAR" card.

He wasn't as fun as I thought.

wow-very-cry-so-drama-much-flounce.jpg
Had to go look up "flounce", that's freakin hilarious!

This thread was good for laughs. Afadeev had me rolling earlier.

This weekend, somewhere in America, an angry retiree will be in a field trying to figure out how to fasten a Stay Cool diaper to his rocket.

I'm not so sure that wasn't a student trying to get TRF to design his project for him

Plug the nozzle and immerse the assembled motor in liquid nitrogen, immediately before launch. Watch it "shatter like glass" at ignition.

Seriously, actively-cooling a motor casing is highly impractical. Second, if burn-through is going to occur, no usable cooling method will prevent that . . . Slow it down, maybe ?

Dave F.

And l have my answer thank you guys very much. This wasn't about active cooling of a motor casing it was about the mentality of the rocketry collective. I have been out of the hobby a very long time and now I'm retired and wanted to get back in. My first thought was to join a club but l don't like...well basically the arrogance I've encountered here. I wanted to know if I'd have a good time working and most of all learning from people who have been in the hobby a long time. Again you answered that. And I'm grateful l found out now. I'll get back in and just build and fly on my own like l use to. I'll build some crazy crap and I'll bury a few and RUD a few but that's ok. It will be fun and l won't be around a bunch of people like this. Ya'll have a great day and don't take yourself to seriously.

In other words..."I'm going to outright lie about a rather ridiculous scenario (which I KNOW to be ridiculous) to a group and then act indignant when they call me out on said ridiculousness."

Wow.

Anti-social much?

Seriously, you set this little test up for failure right from the start. Not a fair assessment at all. I don't think I have ever suggested this in my life but yeah, you are probably much better off flying by yourself. And by the way, pretty sure the common denominator in your problem is not other fliers or the people in this forum.

I gave you the option to join the group when I asked you "what motor"& what type "hard work" you had done.
Totally ignored both requests so i suspected a troll or another 16 year old newbie, wanting to fly something to orbit.

Certainly not an adult who now retired, must have had meaningful interactions with other adults in life. But then you outright lied to us, and should know better.
Too bad ...like many other have found out , we have a great bunch here & we have a lot of fun while learning from each other.

Come back when reality sets in or you can take a bit of ribbing about stuff, like the rest of us.
Of course you can always join the team at "Burger King" where you can always have it "your way".
Thank YOU...I now have MY answer about who you are! LOL

I am surprised that folks did not come to the obvious answer. Liquid cooling of rocket nozzles is standard practice for liquid motors. I quick look at the amount of heat transfer involved shows how hard a problem it is [and why pretty much nobody attempts it on a hobby rocket]. David Crisali's graduate project is a fine example of an amateur effort. There should be something in Rocket Propulsion Elements or Liquid Propellant Rocket Engines (sp) on the principles. A survey of AIAA papers will probably turn up some things, as most things have been tried in the early years.

Who has done the hard work? Richard Nakka has I think the most extensive documentation that I have found so far regarding the magnitude of the problem.

I think we all sometimes make the mistake of answering the question we think it should be, rather than answering the question that was asked. If we are proud of discouraging someone, is that really in our best interest?

br/

Tony

I am surprised that folks did not come to the obvious answer. Liquid cooling of rocket nozzles is standard practice for liquid motors. I quick look at the amount of heat transfer involved shows how hard a problem it is [and why pretty much nobody attempts it on a hobby rocket]. David Crisali's graduate project is a fine example of an amateur effort. There should be something in Rocket Propulsion Elements or Liquid Propellant Rocket Engines (sp) on the principles. A survey of AIAA papers will probably turn up some things, as most things have been tried in the early years.

Who has done the hard work? Richard Nakka has I think the most extensive documentation that I have found so far regarding the magnitude of the problem.

I think we all sometimes make the mistake of answering the question we think it should be, rather than answering the question that was asked. If we are proud of discouraging someone, is that really in our best interest?

br/

Tony

Not at all what happened here. This was a rouse from start to finish. Even after Jim asked some legitimate questions in the beginning and got nothing for an answer it was pretty obvious this was a troll or something along those lines. Play dumb games, win stupid prizes.

So to answer your question, the answer is yes, we are discouraging people from LYING to us and I don't feel a single bit guilty for doing so.

-Dave

br/

Tony

We're not obligated to help someone just because they kick in the TRF door and demand answers.

We're not required to help kids who want to make sugar motors just because they hold themselves hostage and tell us they'll do it without our help

Vendors aren't obligated to comply with customer's unreasonable demands.

I'll help, but you gotta ask without being rude.

Could you imagine driving a couple hours to spend a day next to nutty? Life is just too short.

We're not obligated to help someone just because they kick in the TRF door and demand answers.

We're not required to help kids who want to make sugar motors just because they hold themselves hostage and tell us they'll do it without our help

Vendors aren't obligated to comply with customer's unreasonable demands.

I'll help, but you gotta ask without being rude.

Could you imagine driving a couple hours to spend a day next to nutty? Life is just too short.

Well said.

We've had a fair share of weird posts from newbies lately. Nutty named himself well.

I've taken the time to read back over the OP and associated posts by the author in this thread. I went back reading over my responses as well.

I found my responses short and to the point, and they could be read as being abrasive as I didn't bother with any pleasantries just got to the point. I've a background in science and engineering so I answered pretty much as I would to any other researcher. I don't consider feelings very much when discussing facts and methods. I tend not to have a lot of extra time available to add fluff. I apologize if this came off wrong. It's harder to read people and responses on the web than in person.

But on the flip side, I do a LOT of free engineering for many projects, as well as actually working for a living. I took time off to answer the OP question under the assumption that it was a real question. Since the OP mentioned "hard work" I assumed the person had done at least some research on the subject of the post, but had perhaps missed all the important parts. That happens sometimes. Google, for instance, isn't what it used to be. Also some don't have the background to approach rocket science problems so sometimes the responses provide alternaitve areas to research and learn.

I do consider my time as having some value. I do not appreciated wasting it on what was apparently essentially a childish stunt.

An unknown person who posts on this forum with technical questions should understand that we can only get an understanding of the person based on the impression the person makes in the posts.

We get people coming in from third world countries who just want to make a weapon. We get people coming in trying to trick us into saying something quotable. We get people coming in who are pyro nutjobs. We get people coming in who want to play, regardless of consequences.

Rocketry is inherently dangerous. Make a mistake and people can die. Those with experience will bend over backwards to help those who need it and will profit from it. You deal with us straight, we'll deal with you straight.

As a field, Rocketry doesn't suffer fools gladly. Neither do I.

Gerald

I've taken the time to read back over the OP and associated posts by the author in this thread. I went back reading over my responses as well.

I found my responses short and to the point, and they could be read as being abrasive as I didn't bother with any pleasantries just got to the point. I've a background in science and engineering so I answered pretty much as I would to any other researcher. I don't consider feelings very much when discussing facts and methods. I tend not to have a lot of extra time available to add fluff. I apologize if this came off wrong. It's harder to read people and responses on the web than in person.

But on the flip side, I do a LOT of free engineering for many projects, as well as actually working for a living. I took time off to answer the OP question under the assumption that it was a real question. Since the OP mentioned "hard work" I assumed the person had done at least some research on the subject of the post, but had perhaps missed all the important parts. That happens sometimes. Google, for instance, isn't what it used to be. Also some don't have the background to approach rocket science problems so sometimes the responses provide alternaitve areas to research and learn.

I do consider my time as having some value. I do not appreciated wasting it on what was apparently essentially a childish stunt.

An unknown person who posts on this forum with technical questions should understand that we can only get an understanding of the person based on the impression the person makes in the posts.

We get people coming in from third world countries who just want to make a weapon. We get people coming in trying to trick us into saying something quotable. We get people coming in who are pyro nutjobs. We get people coming in who want to play, regardless of consequences.

Rocketry is inherently dangerous. Make a mistake and people can die. Those with experience will bend over backwards to help those who need it and will profit from it. You deal with us straight, we'll deal with you straight.

As a field, Rocketry doesn't suffer fools gladly. Neither do I.

Gerald

tumblr_m572sshVeG1rv5j9yo1_250.gif

I had his sh*t figured out on post #9.

Nutty, here's one for the books, the only thing worse then a troll is a self- righteous troll

Or, go read Matthew 7:1-5 and pull the beam out of your eye....perhaps somewhere else as well.

Fair-the well...you won't be missed, at least not by me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back