Cool tribute to Carl Sagan...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sagan is an under appreciated hero and role model.
He stood for respect, truth, beauty, reason and understanding....
His passing was a great loss for our species.

Cool video!

Weird how we grow to respect a person after they pass..I can recall from my youth that the few times his name came up in science class that the general consensus was that he was 'kind of out there' and not in the nicest of ways..I was a minority in that opinion.

I think it is way cool that The Science Channel is airing the Cosmos programs!:headbang:

Cool video!

Weird how we grow to respect a person after they pass..I can recall from my youth that the few times his name came up in science class that the general consensus was that he was 'kind of out there' and not in the nicest of ways..I was a minority in that opinion.

I think it is way cool that The Science Channel is airing the Cosmos programs!:headbang:

Really?
Where I went to high school he was considered a Science God. He was the reason I pursued the sciences.

I think Sagan was a great man. When I was a kid I wrote to him, and he wrote back with an invitation to be a charter member of the Planetary Society. I think I was their youngest member at the time.

As to the video, I don't really like this trend of taking other people's work and re-editing it as one's own. Even if they give credit, it just seems like kind of a rip-off. Make your new stuff or leave the original alone!

I think Sagan was a great man. When I was a kid I wrote to him, and he wrote back with an invitation to be a charter member of the Planetary Society. I think I was their youngest member at the time.

As to the video, I don't really like this trend of taking other people's work and re-editing it as one's own. Even if they give credit, it just seems like kind of a rip-off. Make your new stuff or leave the original alone!

You do have a point, although I think that the person who did the mix here was both very respectful and made a beautiful piece. I wonder if there was any copyright violation or if permission was given to use the clips from Cosmos and from Hawking's program. Anyhow, I thought that it was a nicely put together tribute and beautifully done.

I saw this video today and thought the other space buffs here might like it too...hope you enjoy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSgiXGELjbc&feature=player_embedded

Nice, I miss Carl. When I was a child, he was one of the people who influenced me to study Astronomy and Physics. The other was Dr. Edwin Krupp then and still current director of the Griffith Observatory in Los Angeles.

Met both of them in person and I really miss trully intelligent people. I run into a lot of people who think they are genius, but I seldom run across people who are of their caliber.

I need to find my Cosmos soundtrack CD. I loved the music as you would travel along with Carl to see star clusters and nebula ... there is nothing like it on TV today. Oh, I watch 'The Planets' and some of the science shows on Discovery Science and History Channel; Dr. Fillppenko was one of my instructors while I was at Berkeley (you see him on many of the programs these days), but NONE of these shows affect me in the way Cosmos and Dr. Krupp's TV shows did.

Jonathan

Back