Cool things I found on YouTube or other videos...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<simplified> Crankshaft bolts to the firewall. The entire engine spins to assist with cooling. So, what we call a 'rotary' engine (like an RX-7) should more correctly be called a Wankel. </>
In WWI many airplane engines seemed to work like that. I never understood why, it would seem that cooling is not that important. Between airplane forward motion and propeller wash you would think that there would be plenty of airflow. By WWII those engines had all become stationary with the crankshaft rotating and they have sufficient cooling, at least the ones with only a few rows of cylinders. These were called radial engines, I don't know if that term still applies to the WWI engines.

I was in the Denver Wings over the Rockies museum with my daughter and they had one of the fixed crankshaft engines on display. I was asking the mechanics there if they knew why the engines were one way then the other and they didn't know.

Interesting fact: The Gnome used "blip" throttle control. Instead of regulating how much fuel went to the engine, you turned the engine off and on to regulate speed.

I was going to post something but changed my mind.
Changed my mind again:

Things I could say but holding back are gold but hey I'm in a sweet kind of a mood 😇

Edit: Also:

Last edited:
Okay, this may be a bit of self promotion, but, at the same time, there might be some here who find this interesting.

A couple of weeks ago, I visited Israel. While there, three of us walked the length of Hezekiah's tunnel, a channel hewn through solid rock underneath Jerusalem sometime around 800 BCE (presumably on the order of King Hezekiah) in order to access all the water of the Gihon spring inside the walls of the city of Jerusalem and deny access to any of that water to Assyrians who would soon besiege the city.

When I went through the tunnel, I carried a GoPro. When I got home, I edited the raw video and added commentary.

You can find that video here:

There are a lot of misinformed karens in this world.
Can’t go wrong with posting reliable information in a thread that doesn’t hijack others. At this point, I haven’t seen a new argument against EVs in well over a year (maybe 2). Everything I see is a rerun that was covered years ago.

The Porsche Mission X video doesn't mention that it's an electric drive hypercar.
https://www.porsche.com/usa/mission-x/
First paragraph of that link:

“Many Porsche vehicles have created history. The Mission X is about to create the future – the spectacular reinterpretation of a lightweight hypercar with Le-Mans-style doors and high-performance electric drive is an innovative vision of the future.”

Last edited:
Okay, this may be a bit of self promotion, but, at the same time, there might be some here who find this interesting.

A couple of weeks ago, I visited Israel. While there, three of us walked the length of Hezekiah's tunnel, a channel hewn through solid rock underneath Jerusalem sometime around 800 BCE (presumably on the order of King Hezekiah) in order to access all the water of the Gihon spring inside the walls of the city of Jerusalem and deny access to any of that water to Assyrians who would soon besiege the city.

When I went through the tunnel, I carried a GoPro. When I got home, I edited the raw video and added commentary.

You can find that video here:

Cool. No golems?

Back