Cool things I found on YouTube or other videos...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice idea and execution. A couple of quick observations: There is not much on the vehicle in the way of batteries, so given it is a vertical lift vehicle flight time and range will be quite limited. Also, there is not much between the front blades and the pilot's neck. In the event of spitting a blade things could get messy. I hope they have run an FMEA on that.

1. Fifteen to twenty minutes would be enough to get anywhere in an average city, especially if a parking space is ready. I see this as being useful for certain professionals, or organized tourism, not random people.
2. Seems to me like they thought it through. Easy to deal with.
Props.png

The problem with this is keeping people from crashing into each other. Needs to have ATC guidance which means landing and taking off at a limited number of points, not from the roof of your carport.

Fifteen to twenty minutes would be enough to get anywhere in an average city, especially if a parking space is ready.
I am suspecting it is around half of this, but I could be wrong. There is an enormous amount of power required to get sufficient air mass flow to lift the airframe in this configuration. That's why a many of the proposed designs like this have wings to provide significant lift and increase range and duration.

Here's a recent SpacX video showcasing Starship - has a soundtrack so check volume. The visuals are really stunning.

Tony

I can see where maybe Starship can take people to Mars. But if they land how are they going to get back? Mars only has 38% of the gravity of Earth but they will still need a substantial booster to get into Mars orbit right? Build the booster on Mars? What about the propellant?

I can see where maybe Starship can take people to Mars. But if they land how are they going to get back? Mars only has 38% of the gravity of Earth but they will still need a substantial booster to get into Mars orbit right? Build the booster on Mars? What about the propellant?
I think the plan is multiple flight to orbit to lift the fuel to a tanker, then refuel fully from the tanker for the boost home. Propellant will be made directly on Mars.

I am suspecting it is around half of this, but I could be wrong. There is an enormous amount of power required to get sufficient air mass flow to lift the airframe in this configuration. That's why a many of the proposed designs like this have wings to provide significant lift and increase range and duration.

Found the specs! (20 min) And they're actually selling now.
https://jetsonaero.com

Found the specs! (20 min) And they're actually selling now.
All slots taken for 2022. Three slots available for 2023. Gee, I better hurry up and reserve one. 😬
It says "Start and land anywhere you want".
That sounds kinda questionable.
FAA probably has something to say about that.

I suppose they just sell the product (from Sweden) and then it's "check you local (national) regulations." I'm counting on some company buying a multi-seater version one day and hithing a short ride. 👍🦸‍♂️🛸
Flying electric is definitely on my list one way or another.

Since this a video thread, here's one about the aircraft I never thought was possible until a few months ago.

A 3.6 ton battery to lift is a drag though (a technically bad pun).

I wonder if anyone thought of staging e-planes yet:
- E-plane 1 carrying and releasing E-plane 2 at 40,000 ft and gliding back to home port.
- E-plane 2 cruising at 40,000 ft for a while and gliding to destination.
Virgin and Eviation should have a meeting.

All slots taken for 2022. Three slots available for 2023. Gee, I better hurry up and reserve one. 😬
That sounds kinda questionable.
FAA probably has something to say about that.
Looking at that thing just gives me the willies - those blades are a like a human sized Bass-O-Matic.

Tony

"Wow, that's terrific bass!"

My understanding is that they can take off from Mars without a booster, then refuel in between.

https://www.space.com/spacex-launch-astronauts-mars-2024

Last edited:
Did some digging.
If this qualifies as an ultralight, no certification or pilots license is needed.

I know people who flew ultralights and they still went through lessons. As for noise, it's blades against air, so that's noisy any way you look at it. Think of a normal house fan, but 8 of them and bigger. Actually:

Somewhat like a very large vacuum cleaner.

Just found out this happened in July: United bought one hundred 19-passenger electric airscrafts from Heart Aerospace. I think they're expected to be certified in 2026.

Unlike Eviation's Alice which is for cargo, Heart Aerospace's ES-19 is for passengers. It also promises to be more quiet than present airplanes.

Last edited:
There are many, *many* startups building small VTOL electric aircraft using technology derived from quad-rotor drones. Most seem to be focusing on something like short-range taxi service, so they can hold a few people, fly autonomously. Some have a fixed wing to improve efficiency when cruising (this seems necessary to me, to be honest). Unfortunately I'm having a terrible time either remembering their names or finding them via search... the only one I could drum up as Lillium:
https://lilium.com/jet
The Jetson seem to have taken a very different approach, aiming purely at the recreational market, which is cool.

I don't know how this is all going to shake out but it sure looks like some form of this technology is in our future.

Maybe once autonomous cars take over the highways, people will begin to trust personal flying cars.

I'm pretty sure personal flying cars can never go mainstream. Except for airshows, aircrafts have to fly hundreds of feet apart from each other and 1000 feet above cities, just to keep everyone safe. Flying involve changing winds, a 3rd dimension, and engine failure procedures. Those are not for everyone.

Here's a 3-4 min video of that Lilium jet.

Last edited:
Speaking of electric vehicles, I just read that Hertz is buying a billion + dollars worth of Tesla vehicles to electrify their fleet. This won't cover their whole fleet but it's a start.
And a while back I read that the post office is electrifying their fleet. Probably should have done that a long time ago. Now they have to build the charging stations in their maintenance facilities.
The writing is on the wall. And battery technology is improving every year.
This may be my next (and probably last) car:

in my view, the single most desirable luxury option avaible on a car is a huge battery. The demand is there, it’s worldwide production that is lagging, but it’s also increasing steadily.

I, for one, can't get enough of this:

Death From Above O25000
Acceleration: 71 G's
Thrust-to-Weight at liftoff: 60:1
Operating Cost of Motor: $3846.15/sec

Last edited:
Back