Cool things I found on YouTube or other videos...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is Hawaii big or is the rest of the world small?

View attachment 483612

Ahh... well, you see ... 1933 ... that was during the depression, before satellites, before pearl harbor, before more sea level rise, before many more volcanic releases, before many telescopes were built, before much more tourism, it's become a state, it's seen a few flashes of radiation. I dunno but with all that, I'd say there's enough reasons to keep a lower profile today. 😁 :dontknow:

While on the subject, here's Hawaii surfing as shot by Thomas Edison in 1906.

When landing in a crosswind with passengers, the game is to face the wind on descent, touch down on 1 gear, and pivot to align with the runway, before the 2nd gear touches. 3rd gear (nose) touches down last.

A tiny snip from one of my favourite Australian movies, 'Stone' 1974.

Full movie (NSFW) can be found on YouTube.

Wow! "Bullit" on bikes! I guess if you can't get to Mount Panorama you just make your own, but with traffic! 🤪

Not familiar with that movie, but I'm going to look it up for sure. Those old biker flicks are awesome! Sometimes their only redeeming quality is seeing all the old bikes, but there have been a few gems.

Remind me never to fly into that airport.

For a pilot, landing always involves the same basic maneouvers, but when the wind is stronger and at a bigger angle, so are the inputs. It makes for a more spectacular sight from outside the plane. It's about weather of course and indirectly, location.

An interesting model rocket malfunction:

Last edited:
Death by paper. Talk about shifting CG...

Ahh... well, you see ... 1933 ... that was during the depression, before satellites, before pearl harbor, before more sea level rise, before many more volcanic releases, before many telescopes were built, before much more tourism, it's become a state, it's seen a few flashes of radiation. I dunno but with all that, I'd say there's enough reasons to keep a lower profile today. 😁 :dontknow:

While on the subject, here's Hawaii surfing as shot by Thomas Edison in 1906.

Da Hui...

When landing in a crosswind with passengers, the game is to face the wind on descent, touch down on 1 gear, and pivot to align with the runway, before the 2nd gear touches. 3rd gear (nose) touches down last.

It can be that way landing in Maui (Kahalui). The pilots need to be certified to land there.

Last edited:
I hate to say, but I often find the videos I find on YouTube aren't real or are lightly based on real events. If this one is true, it is a great story. If not, I guess I got scammed. . .

Sandy.

I hate to say, but I often find the videos I find on YouTube aren't real or are lightly based on real events. If this one is true, it is a great story. If not, I guess I got scammed. . .

Lots of nutty stuff on the internet, not just YT. But good stuff too. Finding reliability is almost an art.

Here's one I believe in. I can get over the few mistakes ("length of time"?, "rate of speed"? m'eh)

I don't see city skies openning up to delivery drones anytime soon, but sending paramedics this way once in a while might make a lot of sense.

For a pilot, landing always involves the same basic maneouvers, but when the wind is stronger and at a bigger angle, so are the inputs. It makes for a more spectacular sight from outside the plane. It's about weather of course and indirectly, location.

An interesting model rocket malfunction:

I made this motor, nothing to do with the airframe.
1000 lbs thrust for 14 seconds.
”Motor worked"

I made this motor, nothing to do with the airframe.
1000 lbs thrust for 14 seconds.
”Motor worked"

I suspected someone here knew more about that flight. I'm still a long way from that kind of HPR. Counts as a cool video though! I had to chuckle seeing the two chilling at the end as if nothing happened.

With daily volcano news lately (Canary Islands and Hawaii), I've been travelling back to the Hadean eon and realized that the heat source at the center of the Earth is exactly the same as heat from a nail getting struck repeatedly by a hammer (+ some radioactive decay). Rocks falling and colliding into each other 4.5B years ago while building the Earth is what caused the heat pushing up volcanoes through the Earth's space-frozen crust.

Same thing with the Moon. It's all just heating from collisions and freezing again:

My point:
Volcano energy is leftover from those rock collisions (kinetic energy) that built the Earth 4.5B years ago. 🌋

Last edited:
For carrying skydivers, towing gliders, training, and local flight seeing, you don’t need range. Can’t wait to see electric planes take off.

My point:
Volcano energy is leftover from those rock collisions (kinetic energy) that built the Earth 4.5B years ago. 🌋

Here’s Hank Green confirming what I was blabbering about on where volcano heat (and overall Earth radiation) comes from.

Planetary science rocks!

Move over Snoopy. Who knew videos of this existed. And that someone would bother to colorize them.

Manufacturer call this an electric VTOL aircraft.
I call it a big drone with the controls onboard instead of remote.
Cool nonetheless. Probably a lot of red tape to legally fly this in an air corridor.

Pretty sure some of these people-carrying drones will go mainstream somehow. It's just a matter of which design and what for exactly.

Until then, here's what a physicist looks like when simulating travel in space and time. It may be the first video of him in color (recently colorized with artificial intelligence software).

Manufacturer call this an electric VTOL aircraft.
I call it a big drone with the controls onboard instead of remote.
Cool nonetheless. Probably a lot of red tape to legally fly this in an air corridor.
Here's George Jetson..........

Nice idea and execution. A couple of quick observations: There is not much on the vehicle in the way of batteries, so given it is a vertical lift vehicle flight time and range will be quite limited. Also, there is not much between the front blades and the pilot's neck. In the event of spitting a blade things could get messy. I hope they have run an FMEA on that.

Back