Cool things I found on YouTube or other videos...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting that I commented on another thread that they could try airbrakes to hit their target altitude. I wonder if the airbrake on the 300 SLR was manual or automatic. High tech for 55.

The first SR-71 I saw was an air refueling over Mountain Home Idaho. The next time I saw one, I was at the base gas station at RAF Lakenheath. I heard a plane ,looked up and there it was. They were at RAF Mildenhall just a few miles from Lakenheath. They were a common sight. I used to play golf with some of the Lockheed guys. Every year at the air show one would be flying. It's a shame they were retired from active service. I wonder what replaced it, besides satellites. Now their job might be done by the X-37. But what about the interim.

Last edited:
Interesting that I commented on another thread that they could try airbrakes to hit their target altitude. I wonder if the airbrake on the 300 SLR was manual or automatic. High tech for 55.

Two versions - one was manually operated by the driver, in the other the airbrake actuator was controlled by switches in the gear lever gate.

Airbrakes are cool. ;)

:facepalm: I heard that! 🤖 😆

Little known fact: There have been no EV crash tests performed in Australia.

"WHAT EV CRASH TESTING HAS BEEN DONE?

ANCAP has not tested a Tesla ever. They've copied the Euro results for the Model S, the Model 3 and the Model X. ANCAP has not published any Tesla results since 2019.

All ratings they do have (Model S, X and 3), they're all five stars, but the model S is from 2015 and the other X and 3 are from 2019.

So you absolutely cannot and should not compare them. They're all five stars but they're all tested to different protocols. None of them were tested in Australia.

Even Nissan Leaf’s ANCAP score, it's also a cut and paste job from EuroNCAP for ANCAP.

No news on Leaf’s safety update since 2018 from ANCAP, and that information is nearly four years old. In 2018, a completely different testing protocol pertained. It’s not relevant today.

But it’s still on sale with five stars."

https://autoexpert.com.au/posts/how-safe-are-electric-cars-in-a-crash
I've voiced concerns about EV fires in the past. Firefighting in different countries is not the same due to factors such as geographic isolation and asset risk, including native vegetation and wildlife as assets.

I'm not anti EV. I just want people to have a realistic viewpoint rather than blindly accepting the incredible greenwashing that our governments and EV advocates make.

As ever, YMMV.

Oh I didn’t go into it blindly and both EV and ICE fires are well documented. I for one have made my choice! (after years of scrutiny)

No opportunity yet to ride hands free but the warnings I get in my current car are a good sign. 🖖

Oh I didn’t go into it blindly and both EV and ICE fires are well documented. I for one have made my choice! (after years of scrutiny)

No opportunity yet to ride hands free but the warnings I get in my current car are a good sign. 🖖

nice video, but they are expensive cars

I never got involved in Star Trek myself, but this is legendary.

:startrek1:🖖:startrekspock:

Reading and northern railroad, Pennsylvania.

Sorry, if you don't like steam maybe we can't be friends...

Very cool. Because they're so old, very expensive to maintain since they tend to explode so they have to rebuild the boiler to meet strict regulations. If the water level gets too low and the too hot, the steam explodes. Not something you want on a family excursion.

Very cool. Because they're so old, very expensive to maintain since they tend to explode so they have to rebuild the boiler to meet strict regulations. If the water level gets too low and the too hot, the steam explodes. Not something you want on a family excursion.

Most steam engines are paying for their own maintenance these days. Very popular with the elderly folk, like me. We pay good money for a ride <insert one liner here>.

Back