Cool test that could have bad results

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shrox

Reaction score
I have been thinking about taking one of my prototype SHX-15Bs, making the motor eject out the back and see if she glides. It just seems that it wants to fly back down rather that parachute...could be a suicide mission though. When it gets to apogee it seems like it points it's nose at the horizon rather than back down.

The plain SHX15 also likes to point sideways as it slows and approaches apogee. That's one thing that makes it look so cool. My Deuce-XL5 kitbash does the same. What's everyone's experiences with other 'plane-like' rockets (non-gliders that is)?

Originally posted by shrox
I have been thinking about taking one of my prototype SHX-15Bs, making the motor eject out the back and see if she glides. It just seems that it wants to fly back down rather that parachute...could be a suicide mission though. When it gets to apogee it seems like it points it's nose at the horizon rather than back down.

Want a beta tester? I'll try it. Might need to eject more than the motor though. Like maybe motor, tube and recovery hardware, and possibly shift some internal weight in the process. Send me plans and cutting patterns and I'll put one together from the outside in, and see what it can and can't carry in glide mode.

Based on my model airplane and model glider experience, if you eject the engine it's only going to push the CG farther forward. So if it's stable on the way up, I don't see how it's going to go into a glide without either shifting the CG rearward or actuating some kind of elevator/ elevon.

Just my opinion.

Based on my model airplane and model glider experience, if you eject the engine it's only going to push the CG farther forward. So if it's stable on the way up, I don't see how it's going to go into a glide without either shifting the CG rearward or actuating some kind of elevator/ elevon.

Just my opinion.

Originally posted by BobH48

Just my opinion.

Yes, I know, that is why I am curious as to why the SHX-15B does that? It shouldn't by conventinal wisdom.

OBTW, I really like the SHX-15B :D :D

On your web site it didn't say how much they are going to be.

Back