Cool rocket on display at a local hobby shop

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fore Check

Reaction score
So I was in Arlington, TX yesterday on business. Naturally, I took the chance to visit a few hobby shops to see if there was anything I "needed." ;)

Anyway, so I went into the HobbyTown USA shop (at Cooper and I-20, right next to Hobby Lobby) and hanging in the window was a giant upscale of the Estes Pegasus

est0806@.gif

It was HUGE and impressive.

I asked the guys working there some details, and it is a true upscale that is BT80 based with an interchangeable 3 x 24mm motor mount and 38mm HPR motor mount. It really looked fantastic! It was minus a few decals, but the *wow* factor still applied. One of their customers built it, flew it a couple of times, and then gave it to them for display purposes.

Worth the trip for all you Dallas folks just to check it out! Hangs in the front window, right next to all the rocket stuff.

They had a ton of stuff for sale too - much more than most places. A tad on the pricey side, though...

For just about anything I am looking for, hobby or work or home, Arlington seems to be consistently higher on their prices. But then again, at least they carry a few rocketry things in that store. Most of the stores in FW don't have squat (if it isn't a skill level 1 kit in a bag).

What gets me the most is when the local HobbyTownUSA manager gripes about low sales in the rocketry department. Then you look over to the R/C aisle and there are TONS of car body shells, planes, or other build models hanging. All I can do is roll my eyes... :rolleyes: I almost wish he'd offer me the kit to build. I'd be more than happy to so long as more marketing/advertising in-store is done for the rocket section.

I've seen some good displays and I've also seen none. It's good when the manager or owner spreads the wealth around the store and has representation for all the products. I tell you what, there may not be as many rocketeers as R/C people, but a BIG rocket on display sure draws A LOT of attention!

Originally posted by eugenefl
. I tell you what, there may not be as many rocketeers as R/C people, but a BIG rocket on display sure draws A LOT of attention!

This is true, but it also misses one major point of marketing: how many kids (or kids at heart) walking through a store will see something and say "WOW! I want one of THOSE!" and buy it, thus being introduced to the hobby? So having nicely built rockets that draw attention will 1) Generate more sales for the store; 2) Get more people interested in the hobby as a whole, which will then 3) Generate more sales for the store!

You should approach that store manager with this logic, and he may just go for it!

WW

Originally posted by powderburner
For just about anything I am looking for, hobby or work or home, Arlington seems to be consistently higher on their prices. But then again, at least they carry a few rocketry things in that store. Most of the stores in FW don't have squat (if it isn't a skill level 1 kit in a bag).

Incidentally, I found all the stuff I was looking for (Microscale decal film, nose cones, a payload section, large sheets of fin stock, some specific spray paint colors) at Wild Bill's hobbies on Shady Grove about a mile west of where it hits Loop 12. I think that's technically in Irving...... Just cruise over I-30 towards Dallas, take Loop 12 north a short distance, exit Shady Grove and turn left (west.) About a mile or so down on the right.

He also had two or three Estes NCR rockets on the shelf (big ones!) and about 5 different Launch Pad kits. His Launch pad kits were at a very competitive price (compared to what I've seen on the web) but I just wasn't in the mood or market for one. My budget was already cashed in.

Thanks for the tip, Fore Check!
If I get over to that part of town anytime soon I will make sure to check him out.
One of these days we are gonna have to set up a north Texas launch?

North Texas Launch?

ABSOLUTELY!

I'm just itching to get out and burn some BP. Maybe things will dry up and the wind will lie down next weekend. Wait a minute - my folks are coming in from St. Louis on the 13th and 14th. Maybe the weekend after that..... :kill:

Originally posted by eugenefl
I tell you what, there may not be as many rocketeers as R/C people, but a BIG rocket on display sure draws A LOT of attention!
Like this?

front2.JPG

or this?

rockets.JPG

This is Adventure Hobbies. It's where I picked up my Mercury Atlas last week. Great store. It's also where I got my idea for the rocket racks I built. that second pic is ALL rockets, and the largest display rocket is not in the picture. It is a 12"-ish dia bird about 8-10 ft long hanging from the ceiling above the Redstone.

www.adventurehobbies.com

We don't have the hobby lobby chain here, but with Adventure, Lee Piester's Hobby Bench, and a couple of good Hobbytowns, We're pretty well taken care of in Phoenix.

I would almost pay monthly dues to be able to live near a hobby store like that! It looks pretty awesome. :D

Now THAT is a rocketry-friendly store. Most hobby stores around here have lots of RC cars and planes for sale, and only a couple have any rockets at all. And the only places I can find anything other than Estes and Quest is the local vendor who comes out to our launches.

WW

All I can say about Adventure Hobbies is -
drool.jpg

You are VERY fortunate to have such a rocketry friendly hobbyshop nearby. We used to have two in Tampa that sold LOC kits, parts, and other misc HPR components. Unfortunately, both their shops went out of business. What I would give to be able to browse the HPR components section of a hobby shop. :(

Originally posted by flying_silverad
I would almost pay monthly dues to be able to live near a hobby store like that! It looks pretty awesome. :D

Here is a suggestion to get your local hobby store to stock more stuff:

Get everyone in your club to make a wish list (and promise to buy it from the store). Show the list to the owner. We did this a few years ago, and made a vow not to do mail order. If your store stocks stuff, and you (or a good chunk of your club) does not support them, they'll lose interest really fast.

Have a club project to build a big, beautifully finished rocket, or a big Estes kit like a Saturn V. Ask the owner to hang it in the store.

Try to see if owner will let you use their backroom or employee lounge for meetings. Then, after the meeting, get folks to buy something.

Give the store an award after receiving the support you want. I went into our local HobbyTown, and saw the award I made them about 6 years ago. It is now back on display above the rockets (I'm guessing it got lost in the shuffle when they moved awhile ago, but it is now proudly displayed again).

Make up a flyer hyping your local store, and have them available at your launches. Show the owner what you are doing to promote his store.

It takes awhile, but the dividends will pay off.

We don't have the hobby lobby chain here, but with Adventure, Lee Piester's Hobby Bench

Man, I would try to get Mr. Priester to autograph all of my Centuri clones

And all of my SEMROC kits!

Does Hobby Bench carry SEMROC kit?

He should...Carl, are you listening???:D

Now that would be good advertising, Carl, get some pictures of Lee Piester with some of your kits.

sandman

Back