Cool Photos of CRASH launch 8-3-14

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the Sumo. Very cool. I only have one question. What are those big green bumpy things in the background of so many of the pictures?
:p

Believe it or not they are rocket eating trees that have made their way all the way from the East Coast and have settled along the man made ditch that brings water to the desert. The cat tails below them actually ate the green and orange Thunderstar I launched in the photos. Why in a big park do rockets have to find these few trees and cat tails?

Sorry if the answer to this question is obvious, but I am new to model rocketry. Pic 77, what is the blue recovery system being used with the Alpha III?

Wish I had something like that happening round here...looks like it would be a blast

Hi there,

That is my wife's Alpha III. :D

She is using a 4"-wide mylar streamer in that picture. We pleated it to make it "grab" the air a little better and give more duration. Both the streamer and the pleating technique can be found at Apogee.

She is working her way through her NARTREK Bronze. One requirement is B Streamer Duration of at least 30 seconds. The Alpha III is a little fat and heavy, but she still got 30.1 seconds on that flight.

By comparison, she got 56.6 seconds on an Estes Yankee, and that was just with a 2"-wide streamer.

There's a guy at CRASH that occasionally uses a 72-foot long streamer on a big rocket. Now that looks cool!

Thanks for the reply tcomfort :D

I am just getting into model rocketry with my sons so it stood out as something different to us. We purchased an Alpha III launch kit to start with so my son was happy to see pictures of someone elses.

Hope that wasn't a rocket that got stuck into the back end of the plane in the last pic. :wink:

Back