Cool New Features in this Forum

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

neil_w

Hunkered down and slowly going crazy
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
OK, thank Neil. But I still don't understand what they are.. are they more of a "phone thing" or are they a PC thing?

Is "pushing a notification" making a notification appear in the [useless & misunderstood why] "notification center" on Win10?
They are for PC *and* phone (well, Android at least). Easiest thing to do is just try. Go into your preferences and enable Push Notifications, make sure plenty of "Push" boxes are checked below, and see what happens. If you don't like them then turn them off, or else prune down the list of events that cause you to receive them (by unchecking the unwanted "Push" boxes).

Usually the browser will also ask you if you want it to allow the site to give notifications. You need to say "yes". If you've already said no, then... well somewhere in the browser there are preferences to allow you to change your answer to "yes", but I don't know where that is off the top of my head, and it's different for different browsers. If you get there let us know and we'll sort that out.

CalebJ

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
WTF? A feature was added that makes notifications quick and convenient, Your response is 'seems like a way to placate the needy'?

How about just saying thanks?
Or saying nothing at all if you don't have a use for the feature?

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
Sorry all, just feeling "old", and I guess that came thru too well. I apologize.

Just trying to understand some new terminology & features.. A lot has changed since the old windows 7 days, and a lot of new terms & methods are popping up. I'm finding it difficult (and frustrating) trying to keep up.

"I need to know who said what to whom about what and when" just seems needy to me. The little bell at the top of the page seems to work fine.. for me at least..

CalebJ

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Fair enough. You don't have to use them though. The same things that you've used in the past are still there. This is just an alternative that doesn't require you going to the forum to check (or receiving an email). Just a quick notification on the phone or PC that something happened on a thread you're watching.

neil_w

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The control over notifications is very fine-grained. It is easy to restrict it to only "important" things (relatively speaking), like when you have a new message in a conversation. No different from getting an email or text notification.

(I think CalebJ and I are running in sync on this one. :))

BEC

Reaction score
I just verified that iPhones do not support push notifications.
Well....they do, but apparently not in a way compatible with the XenForo software’s version of pushing them. I think I’ll survive 😃 Some push notifications can be kind of useful, but in general I’m not a fan.

As of just a moment ago, all the devices I might use to access to TRF can now see the new one. My iPhone was the last one to get there without changing DNS settings on a given device.

Rocketjunkie

Addicted to APCP
Reaction score
When I click into a thread it automatically loads at the first unread post. I wonder what's different...
Sometimes. Even with the previous TRF, this was the case. Inconsistency started with Win 10 :mad: The new TRF has the same problem. Clicking the dot ALWAYS went to the first new post. I'll try clicking the date/time.
I have other consistency problems with Win 10 such as searching from File Explorer.

Rocketjunkie

Addicted to APCP
Reaction score
Don't like push notifications so turned them off (left alerts on). Now TRF complains but it at least had a 'never ask again' option.

CalebJ

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've never liked the new W10 search engine. Maybe there are ways to use it better, but it's definitely given me some headache.

Clicking the link has always taken me to the newest unread post, however. Haven't noticed any examples of it failing.

neil_w

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Sad and angry give no reaction points
Looks like "Wow" gives no reaction points either. These appear to be the default Xenforo settings for reactions.

Hey, I was curious, so sue me.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Looks like "Wow" gives no reaction points either. These appear to be the default Xenforo settings for reactions.

Hey, I was curious, so sue me.
You were absolutely correct when you wrote that. I just looked as on other places Wow is a +1.
I messed around and found that I could change it's point value, so it is now a +1 also.
See what your curiosity did, it kicked of my curiosity.

Rocketjunkie

Addicted to APCP
Reaction score
I tried clicking on the date/time several times. Usually it goes to first unread, but the last time it went to the last post which is what the previous version did. There was a whole page of new posts.

mbeels

Yes balsa
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Just a big thank you to Angie (and any other administrators involved in the upgrade). I'm sure it was a lot of work, and I, for one, am glad you did it.

o1d_dude

'I battle gravity'
Reaction score
Hmm, well that is certainly interesting. I'm still getting the new icon.
Tried creating a new bookmark and the old xenforo icon showed up again. No big. Just one of those things that makes you say Hmmmm.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Tried creating a new bookmark and the old xenforo icon showed up again. No big. Just one of those things that makes you say Hmmmm.
Have you cleared any history or cookies?

Rocketjunkie

Addicted to APCP
Reaction score
Clicked on the date/time on the right. Again, it took me to the last post instead of first unread. Clicking on the thread title sometimes takes me to first unread and other times takes me to first post. I am not a fan of the upgrade. Win 10, desktop and laptop PCs. I do not even attempt to read forums on a phone. The previous version was consistent.

neil_w

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Clicked on the date/time on the right. Again, it took me to the last post instead of first unread.
That should always be the case, on the old and new version. The date on the right is a link to the most recent post.

Clicking on the thread title sometimes takes me to first unread and other times takes me to first post.
What I have found is that if there are unread articles, the entry is boldfaced and it links to first unread. If there are no unread articles in the thread, it goes to first post. I do find this behavior to be a bit annoying, but it's not a big deal (to me at least).

I do not even attempt to read forums on a phone.
The new version works pretty well on smartphones.

o1d_dude

'I battle gravity'
Reaction score
Have you cleared any history or cookies?
On an iPad running Safari, clearing the cache is an all or nothing proposition. No way to limit the scope just to TRF.

iPadOS is pretty much designed as a closed solution for folks who just want it to work and never mind the technical details.

EDIT: After rummaging around in the “Obvious” (hidden) features and deciphering the Apple Fanboy alternate terminology, I determined that searching through “Website Objects” and left sliding the entry for Rocketryfoum.com, I was able to delete it. Upon calling up Rocketryforum.com once again, I was prompted to log in which I did.

So far so good.

EDIT the Second: No joy. Still seeing the old xenforo icon when I create a bookmark.

No big. If others are experiencing the same peculiar behavior then maybe go ahead and look into it.

Last edited:

jqavins

Joseph Avins
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Only four of the "advanced" emojis work on my laptop (Win 10, Chrome) but that's the same as the last version, and it's a work laptop, so it's probably just me. I only bring it up in case anybody else has the same issue, not because I expect it.

Rocketjunkie

Addicted to APCP
Reaction score
Here we go again... :mad: Clicked on thread title on the Camden launch schedule thread and ended up at post #1 :mad:. Just clicked on thread title here and it went to first unread :)

CalebJ

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Here we go again... :mad: Clicked on thread title on the Camden launch schedule thread and ended up at post #1 :mad:. Just clicked on thread title here and it went to first unread :)
Had you previously read the other thread?

Last edited:

neil_w

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
What I have found is that if there are unread articles, the entry is boldfaced and it links to first unread. If there are no unread articles in the thread, it goes to first post. I do find this behavior to be a bit annoying, but it's not a big deal (to me at least).
Does this agree with the behavior you're seeing?

Rocketjunkie

Addicted to APCP
Reaction score
Had you previously read the other thread?
Yes. I've also tried clicking on the date/time of the last post and it sometimes goes to first unread and other times goes to last post like it's supposed to. (Win 10, Firefox) Bring back the dot like the previous version! Jump to new works but it's only at the top of the page and have to scroll up to it:(

CalebJ

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
If you had previously read all of the new posts in the other thread, you're describing expected behavior.

jqavins

Joseph Avins
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Bring back the dot like the previous version! Jump to new works but it's only at the top of the page and have to scroll up to it:(
I have to agree. It's a minor thing and tolerable, but the dot was unquestionably superior.

On the good stuff side, I like that the Preview button is not available without going through the "More Options" step.

neil_w

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Yes. I've also tried clicking on the date/time of the last post and it sometimes goes to first unread and other times goes to last post like it's supposed to. (Win 10, Firefox) Bring back the dot like the previous version! Jump to new works but it's only at the top of the page and have to scroll up to it:(
Note that when you start scrolling, a little up arrow will appear in the lower right corner that'll take you all the way to the top (or use the home key). I understand that's still an extra step, but it's better than scroll-wheeling all the way, just in case you're doing that.