Cool New Features in this Forum

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

BEC

Reaction score
If you take an image with the iPhone in portrait orientation, such images look fine on the phone, but when uploaded here or other fora, they often come in sideways (turned to landscape). This is not an issue with the update, its more general than that. I find I often have to edit the image on my phone (or wherever - even here on the Mac), rotate it then rotate it back and save it before uploading to get forum software to not rotate it on me.

Charles, the server-side resizing has been here for a bit.

Unrelated to images: I'm still having trouble accessing TRF. Right now it is working here on my Mac (it's been off an on today, and for a time worked in Firefox but not Safari). But I can't get here on my iPhone (either browser) or my iPad pro (either browser). I also can't get to TRF from either Windows box in the house (Opera or Firefox). Actually what I get is the "we'll be back", two ads and, from Firefox, an invitation to sign up. But no new forum.

All of these devices are behind the same router, so I really don't know why I can see it here and nowhere else.

My phone doesn't get the new forum if I turn off WiFi and use AT&T rather than Centurylink as the ISP....

I suppose patience is advised.

On the good news side of the ledger, I didn't even know that that ad-filled "sidebar" could be turned off until I read this thread. I love that I CAN turn it off!

Added: So, of course I went to test what I wrote above, and somewhere between my iPhone, my Mac and TRF, it proved me wrong. The image on the left was not edited in any way, the one on the right was rotated, saved, rotated back and saved again. And both the right and the left seem to be fine here. I did not do anything here to resize any of them. Oh well.....

IMG_2681.JPGIMG_2682.JPGIMG_2683.jpg

Last edited:

jd2cylman

Still not Carl... ;-)
Reaction score
And I figured out why I wasn't getting rid of the side bar. Turns out I have to READ... Check to box to get rid of the side bar. Not uncheck... ;)
Oh gosh... The smiles possibilities... 🤪🤓

o1d_dude

'I battle gravity'
Reaction score
Dunno if Angie fixed the sidebar issue but when I turned it off, it stayed off.

Safari on iPad.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
@BEC You are having issues with the forum as it changed IP addresses due to server change during the upgrade. I'm tricking my cable internet as it is refusing to give me the new version, but my phone and my hotspot is giving me the version of the forum. So, at this time that's how I'm accessing to get here.

You can clear cookies for the site, and that most of the time helps to
1. clear cookies
2. refresh screen
3. type in forum address
4. Try logging in.

You are in the new version if you see your member name where the little man icon was in the upper right side.

Also, reboot your laptop. That helps.

Clearing forum history helps and if nothing else does it, clear cache, but that clears more than just this.

Also, usually a day or two and the new IP overwrites the old address on cable access, etc.

BEC

Reaction score
Thanks, Angie. I tried just clearing TRF's cookies on my phone but that didn't do it. I think I'll try to be patient. It IS working from here (Mac) now.

Added: Tried clearing cookies in a couple of other places. No good. However, I did find an option in the Opera browser to use alternate DNS services....and selecting that got my take-it-to-the-field little Lenovo Windows laptop to see the new forum version.

Capture.PNG

Now here's the odd thing: I went to my Mac to write this post - and it's seeing the old forum again, not the new one. So this is written from the little Lenovo. Ah, the workings of the interwebs are mysterious.... :rolleyes::)

Last edited:

neil_w

Hunkered down and slowly going crazy
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Back on topic... YOUTUBE EMBEDS WITH SPECIFIED PLAYBACK TIME

I tried this just a few days ago on the old forum and it didn't work. Now it does!

If, when playing a Youtube video, you right click on the transport control bar at the bottom, you get an option to "Copy video URL at current time". The forum will now honor that when embedding. For instance, here's the Thunda 2019 video, queued up to the fireworks at 15:46:

Greg Furtman

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This is the first time (and post) in 2 days that I have been able to access TRF again. I tried 2 different Windows laptops & 5 different browsers. I flushed browser caches, flushed my DNS cache, etc. I have no clue as to why it is working for me now other than if the IP address of this site changed then it took a long time for it to get changed on the public DNS servers.

I'm glad to be back! Missed you guys! ;)

jqavins

Joseph Avins
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
There use to be a small blue dot to the very left of a thread that would indicate new posts. That may be what he is mentioning.
It was more than an indicator; you could click it and jump directly from the thread list, i.e. the sub-forum, to the first unread post. Now it seems one has to open the thread, scroll up a little from the first post to the actual top of the page, and click there. That's a little unfortunate, but certainly tolerable.

neil_w

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
It was more than an indicator; you could click it and jump directly from the thread list, i.e. the sub-forum, to the first unread post. Now it seems one has to open the thread, scroll up a little from the first post to the actual top of the page, and click there. That's a little unfortunate, but certainly tolerable.
I never used that, although I probably should have. Equivalent functionality is to click on the date of the most recent post on the right, e.g.:
1587646648773.png

CalebJ

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
When I click into a thread it automatically loads at the first unread post. I wonder what's different...

neil_w

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
When I click into a thread it automatically loads at the first unread post. I wonder what's different...
Hey you're right! Did it work that way before?

CalebJ

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
No, I believe this was just added. It was available in another forum I belong to so I checked it after the new update.

CalebJ

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Scratch that, I thought I was responding to a different feature discussion.

The jump to first unread has worked for me in the past. I only joined in January as I recall, but I think it's worked that whole time.

CalebJ

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Try inserting a link to it using the media option (drop down menu next to the emoji on the controls).

neil_w

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Works, but much less appealing than pasting in (can't adjust size, for one thing). Oh well, can't win 'em all.

neil_w

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Everybody sing along!

🎶 Four of these things belong together, four of these things are kind of the same... 🎶
1587649413910.png1587649443251.png1587649233613.png1587649283430.png1587649124219.png

@Angie can we do something about that red, it's kind of hideous.

CalebJ

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Push notifications work for me on android with the new update. Someone ran into an issue on an iPhone yesterday indicating it wasn't supported, not sure if there was a fix for that.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
any word on"push" and "notifications"?
I'm asking to see if there is something can be done, or if it's a iPhone issue.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Push notifications come as little notes from the side when an alert happens. On my phone I get a little alert bell icon that I can click on to see new posts on a forum, or new conversation, etc. Give it a try. Go to your Member name in the upper right corner and click on it. Then to Preferences, and down to Push notifications. If you don't like them you can go back and turn them off. Most people are liking them.

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
I am on Chrome on laptop and the push notifications come from the right side lower part of page as a small box describing the notification I am receiving. I have push turned on for a variety of forums I admin, and maybe looking at TRF and home posts something on XYZ and I get a box from the right telling me the post/reply/conversation/like happened on XYZ forum. I can click on it and go directly to the notification.

On my android phone I get a small bell icon that I can swipe down to see what it and other bells are. They will show me which forum and what type of alert it is.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
I just verified that iPhones do not support push notifications.