Cool New Features in this Forum

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

neil_w

Hunkered down and slowly going crazy
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Thought I'd get a thread going to catalog all the good new stuff in the updated forum. The organization of the links up top is very different and will take some getting used to, but overall this looks like a very good update.

neil_w

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
iOS HOMESCREEN ICON

On iOS, if you create a homescreen shortcut for the TRF website, you now a proper TRF icon, rather than the old generic Xenforo icon:
Icon.jpg

neil_w

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
IMAGE INSERTION

If this was there before I never noticed it: now, when inserting an image, you have pretty good control over its appearance:
1587560663172.png

If you click once on the image to select it, you can resize it using the grab handles in the corner, or adjust a few other things using the little pop-up tool bar that appears below. Nice!

neil_w

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
EMOJI

The standard smiley images are now more traditional emoji. Plus, if you scroll below the additional "special" images that Angie added a while back, there's now a full emoji selector, with search:
1587560997439.png

neil_w

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
REACTIONS

Looks like you can long press the like button now for multiple reaction options.
Beat me to it! On desktop you just need to hover over the Like button to get additional reaction options:
1587561391049.png

This opens the can'o'worms that is the "negative" reactions on the right, should be interesting to see how that goes. 🤷‍♂️

neil_w

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
IGNORE THREADS AND FORUMS

This one makes me so, so happy. You can now ignore threads and/or forums to basically hide them from your view unless you specifically go there to look.

First, you can ignore a thread with the button at the top right of the thread:
1587561748279.png

A similar toolbar is at the top of each forum listing:
1587561820123.png

If you want the list of what you've ignored (maybe you've changed your mind, or just want to check on them occasionally), either use the pull-down menu next to "Forums" at the top of the page:
1587561929120.png

Or, if you're already viewing forums, that menu will be displayed as a tab sub-bar:
1587561995456.png

And of course, much like unwatching a thread or forum, you can always go back and un-ignore.

Last edited:

neil_w

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
MOBILE: "WHAT'S NEW" SHORTCUT

On my phone, I noticed this icon in the upper right:
Whatsnew.png
That is a shortcut to the "What's New" page. You can also get this to show up on your web browser if you make your window really really narrow. In general, this version of Xenforo seems to have a pretty well-implemented responsive design.

neil_w

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
PUSH NOTIFICATIONS

Push notifications are now supported. You can enable them (or not) in your preferences:
1587562891087.png

Doesn't seem to work for me on iOS (says "push notifications not supported")

neil_w

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
NAVBAR ALWAYS VISIBLE

I'm pretty sure this didn't use to be the case: the main navigation bar up top is now always visible, even when you scroll down:
1587563253957.png

crossfire

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
How do I do a search if date is not known fo the post?

CalebJ

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Now you've got me curious - where were you clicking before you found the normal search?

BDB

Absent Minded Professor
Reaction score
For some reason, I can access the forum from my iPhone, but not from my Mac (Safari or Firefox). Am I the only person having this issue?

CalebJ

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've had some bizarre issues intermittently since the upgrade. This morning I could get to it on my phone but not any PC at my house or office. That eventually resolved itself. On the ones that weren't working, I'd get the maintenance notification from yesterday. Didn't seem to matter if I cleared cache out, etc. At first I thought it was DNS related but I dumped the DNS data as well without any effect.

Either way - it seems to be working out. Maybe try again in an hour?

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
I'm on my small laptop as my big one does not get the site yet. There was a server change and the new IP address takes a little while to overwrite the old IP pathway.
And thank you for the what's good thread. It really means a lot, usually I only see what's wrong and how to do I do this now posts.

Also, on the search, you can narrow the search by using the Advanced Search features.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Also, if you check preferences you can turn off or on the "Yesterday's Forum Activity" email.

Nytrunner

Pop lugs, not drugs
Reaction score
All the reactions Except for Wow increase a profile's reaction score. (i'm not really mad at you Neil, just verifying)

Nytrunner

Pop lugs, not drugs
Reaction score
Hmm, you appear to be right. I tried testing them on Neil, but I may have just coincided my refreshes with others liking his posts

BDB

Absent Minded Professor
Reaction score
Sorry; I didn’t mean to rain on a positive thread.

Great update. Thanks.

jd2cylman

Still not Carl... ;-)
Reaction score
How do you get rid of the recent post sidebar on the right? I've got old eyes, I like full screen for the posts.
Great minds think alike...

neil_w

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Good question. I have the sidebar disabled in my preferences, but it's showing there anyway.

It'll disappear automatically if you resize your browser window narrow than roughly 1000 pixels wide, but I'm guessing that's not the answer you're looking for. :)

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Go to upper right and click on your name. From the list shown go to Preferences. Click on it and it opens up. Look down and click on the box to opt out of sidebar. Remember to save.

Latest posts