Converting Bitumen into Carbon Fiber

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigMacDaddy

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am mentoring an entrepreneurial team out of Canada that is working to find commercial applications for carbon fiber that can be made from waste oil. They are part of a program run by Avatar that brings in employees from the energy industry and teaches them entrepreneurial approaches, design thinking, business model innovation, etc...

https://www.compositesworld.com/new...ilsands-bitumen-into-high-value-carbon-fibers
In selecting market applications it turns out that the carbon fiber that is produced is not quite as strong as traditional CF but it can be MUCH cheaper (like 1/6th the cost). Sadly, I need to guide them towards larger markets -- like building materials / products -- but in the back of my mind I am thinking of cheap and good enough carbon fiber tubes and sheets for MPR/HPR rockets...

I am mentoring an entrepreneurial team out of Canada that is working to find commercial applications for carbon fiber that can be made from waste oil. They are part of a program run by Avatar that brings in employees from the energy industry and teaches them entrepreneurial approaches, design thinking, business model innovation, etc...

https://www.compositesworld.com/new...ilsands-bitumen-into-high-value-carbon-fibers
In selecting market applications it turns out that the carbon fiber that is produced is not quite as strong as traditional CF but it can be MUCH cheaper (like 1/6th the cost). Sadly, I need to guide them towards larger markets -- like building materials / products -- but in the back of my mind I am thinking of cheap and good enough carbon fiber tubes and sheets for MPR/HPR rockets...

When I was working for a professor in Chem. Engr. at OU, we were investigating electrospinning of asphalt. Our apparatus was a small drill press from Harbor Freight bolted to the wall, sideways (we needed an inexpensive variable-speed drive). This was 15 years or so ago. I guess not a whole lot has come of it. Somewhere I've got a zip lock bag of carbon nanotubes we made. Another "Big Thing" that's fallen quietly be the way.

Last edited:
When I was working for a professor in Chem. Engr. at OU, we were investigating electrospinning of asphault. Our apparatus was a small drill press from Harbor Freight bolted to the wall, sideways (we needed an inexpensive variable-speed drive). This was 15 years or so ago. I guess not a whole lot has come of it. Somewhere I've got a zip lock bag of carbon nanotubes we made. Another "Big Thing" that's fallen quietly be the way.

That is really interesting...

It is difficult to make the economics work. In this case the CF they can make is way cheaper than traditional CF but it is weaker so their real competition is not other CF it is fiberglass and other materials. The CF is stronger -- for example, could likely make roof tiles that would hold up longer -- but it is difficult to drive adoption and change.

it is sad when technologies get stuck in the lab and never have an impact. That is one of the things that I have spent a good amount of time on -- training scientists how to commercialize technologies.

That is really interesting...

It is difficult to make the economics work. In this case the CF they can make is way cheaper than traditional CF but it is weaker so their real competition is not other CF it is fiberglass and other materials. The CF is stronger -- for example, could likely make roof tiles that would hold up longer -- but it is difficult to drive adoption and change.

it is sad when technologies get stuck in the lab and never have an impact. That is one of the things that I have spent a good amount of time on -- training scientists how to commercialize technologies.
Possibly consider other interesting properties of CF. I think it can act like electrical shielding, may have other interesting thermal properties and isn't only interesting because of strength (even that's why we think about it most of the time).

I'll be interested in what kinds of things they come up with.

Sandy.

Back