Convert PML Tethy's to dual deply

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

askrob

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm working on converting my PML Tethy's to a Dual deploy. I built it with the piston ejection. Any advice where to put the charge for the drogue shoot? Should I try to remove the piston? Should I keep the charge at the bulkhead, or figure out a way to get it below the piston? How would you convert a piston ejection to dual deploy?

I built a PML Endeavor to dual deploy. I have a Tethys, but kept it stock. For the Endeavor, I figured out what the longest motor I would fly in it and split the body tube such that it would fit. I built the fincan using zipperless design. The piston takes too much space, especially in the Thethys, so remove it. Buy a coupler and bulkheads for the electronics bay. Model it in Rocksim or the like to see if everything will fit. You might need to get a longer chunk of body tube to fit your main chute+deployment harness stuff. It's going to be tight with the Tethys.

Chuck

Thanks. I'll cut the piston out and attach the shock cord to the strap that's attached to the motor mount.

I built a dual deploy tethys and did not use the piston.

I nearly doubled the total length of the rocket as well. - called it the "Stretch Tethys". I used it for my level 2 certification (many years ago).

Just another data point to confirm your decision...

I'm working on converting my PML Tethy's to a Dual deploy. I built it with the piston ejection. Any advice where to put the charge for the drogue shoot? Should I try to remove the piston? Should I keep the charge at the bulkhead, or figure out a way to get it below the piston? How would you convert a piston ejection to dual deploy?
PML had instructions (even kits) for how to convert their kits to dual deployment using their CPR (close proximity recovery) system.

All, thanks for the help. My Tethy's is shorter due to a crash a few years ago, but I have successfully converted it to dual deploy. It's got a 3.18 calibration empty on OpenRocket. It has a 3d printed nose cone with a metal tip that comes from one of my Wildman kits. So, it's head-end deploy. It's got dual deployment, so two separate altimeters (eggtimer proton and eggtimer quark) and GPS (eggfinder mini).

IMG_9949.jpg

Back