Controlling fingerprinting on silver paint?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cussler08

Reaction score
I have a couple of models with silver paint and they seem to fingerprint easily. Does future floor wax keep them from fingerprinting? What's the best solution/technique?

Thanks.

My experience with silver paint is to not use a paint can/brush/spray at all. I've found good success with using a craft-type metallic paint pen. It dries quickly, thinly, and doesn't rub off very easily. But it sounds like it may be too late for that for your birds...

WW

Originally posted by cussler08
I have a couple of models with silver paint and they seem to fingerprint easily. Does future floor wax keep them from fingerprinting? What's the best solution/technique?

Thanks.

I've not done this myself, but it seems like it would work. A clear coat is often used on brass and stainless surfaces to help hide fingerprints - seems to make sense that it'd work on metallic painted surfaces, too. Future is just a clear coat. Do be aware that Future makes for a glossy surface, so if you're after a matte finish, you'll need to use something else. In any case, it's certainly easy enough to test on some scrap before doing it on an actual rocket.

Use automotive silver paint like Duplicolor. Meijer and Wal-Mart have 'em for about $4 a can.

They don't " fingerprint" and they are designed to take clear coats.

Man, can you imagine if auto motive paint "fingerprinted'! Wow would you be mad then!

ive never had the plastic stick silver krylon fingerprint...

anyways my theory is you cant see a finger print 2600 feet up there...

Latest posts

Back