Controller stand (+ controller!)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug Holverson

Reaction score
Not much of an invention, I doubt if I'm even first, but I made a stand for my launch controller. It's a little 79¢ basket from Super Saver screwed down on top of a $1.99 electric fence pole from Bomgaars. Since then, I bent one of the clips to almost horizontal to hold a roll of masking tape. I may design and print a couple of little drawers to hold sand paper, stand offs, etc.

Old guy pushing 60 gets tried of bending down to pick up the controller about over an hour in. Although I could do it all day long without thinking about it from a kid into my 30s-40s.

BTW, that controller uses a quad comparator to tell the difference between open, shorted, and good ignitors. It's right a whole lot more than my intuition. this was a proof of concept for a Fun Rockets project that got lost in the limbo. I need to shake loose the schematics or reverse engineer the thing.

launcherstand.jpg

That controller was handy yesterday in immediately sensing a shorted and an open ignitor. I've stopped second guessing it. It even squeezed off an igniter for an Aerotech D21-4 despite having only six wimpy AA batteries.

I use an old camera tripod. Drill and tap a 1/4-20 hole in the bottom of your controller and wa-la!

My dad asked me to bring a folding chair for him to our last hour+ launch, this makes me think I should build the electronics right into the arm rests for him.

Back