Contacting Missile Works for Repair?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wonderboy

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,
I've tried contacting Missile Works multiple times to get instructions on sending in my RTx GPS unit for repair. I've tried:
  1. Their webform
  2. E-mail (using previous correspondence with Jim in my inbox)
  3. The phone number listed on their site (which is now disconnected)
Any other ways to get through? It appears that they are moving, so if the answer is to just be patient, I'm ok with that...

What have peoples experiences been with getting repairs performed? I'm getting "post code 6", which is something to do with the NEMA data.

Hi,
I've tried contacting Missile Works multiple times to get instructions on sending in my RTx GPS unit for repair. I've tried:
  1. Their webform
  2. E-mail (using previous correspondence with Jim in my inbox)
  3. The phone number listed on their site (which is now disconnected)
Any other ways to get through? It appears that they are moving, so if the answer is to just be patient, I'm ok with that...

What have peoples experiences been with getting repairs performed? I'm getting "post code 6", which is something to do with the NEMA data.

Jim is in the middle of a substantial relocation. I am sure he will be back in contact soon, but given the logistics of his current move I'm not surprised that he is kinda off the grid currently.

Thanks, I thought that was the case. I just need to learn to be more patient... :)

Has anyone else had "Post code 6" with their RTx GPS units? I purchased this used and it worked fine on the bench and testing outside in the neighborhood. Then I tucked it away for several months. In the week before I was going to actually use it in flight for the first time (Michiana Mayhem) I charged up the batteries and ground tested everything and that is when I began getting Post Code 6. I haven't even flown the unit, it just sat in the rocket in the house for 6 months. Not sure what happened.

Just out of curiosity, did you check the dip switch settings on the units as described On page 17 of the user manual. Hopefully it is something that easy.

I'm actually getting the error tones during the powerup sequence. I'm getting a "Post Code" of 6, which indicates something is wrong related to the NEMA data (I don't have the manual up and handy, but remember something about this). I've checked that the dip switch settings are configured the way I'm intending to use the unit: the one that is failing is configured as the rocket unit with downlink of RRC3 data enabled.

Now that you've brought it up though, I am going to reconfigure the unit to the various configs (base unit, rocket unit, with and without tethering to the RRC3) and see if I can get a different result.

Thanks for the suggestion!

No joy. I tried configuring as both a base station and as a rocket unit, with and without RRC3 downlink tethering. Same post code. The manual says post code 6 indicates a hardware fault and to contact support for help.

I'll just be patient and wait for them to open back up to get instructions for how to mail it in for repair.

Thanks for the advice though!

I too have placed an order with Missile Works a while back and have heard nothing! I have sent numerous emails and they do not respond whatsoever! My next step is to dispute the payment through PayPal.
I will not be ordering from Missile Works in the future. This is bad for business. Time to start looking at other manufactures for Electronics.

@turk86 as mentioned above, MWC is working hard to get set up. Product is filling the inventory again so I suspect he is making good progress.

Back to the original topic, I am waiting on some repairs also. He asked that I wait until he fill his backlog then he will address my repairs. My altimeters browned out so I want to get everything checked out before I use the interface equipment again. Haven't heard anything since last contact.

Jim, the owner of Missile Works, was in a really bad accident and spent more than a week in hospital along with rehab.

Communication is on the back burner sir and current Inventory is really low compounding delivery issues. Please understand life can get rather rough sometimes and deal a bad hand to a one man shop. It's your right to spend your money as you deem and to trade where you please. He answered a personal email a couple of weeks ago and he hopes to be back to normal early next year. Inventory is a challenge. I'm just a good customer and respect his products and services.

Jim, the owner of Missile Works, was in a really bad accident and spent more than a week in hospital along with rehab.

Communication is on the back burner sir and current Inventory is really low compounding delivery issues. Please understand life can get rather rough sometimes and deal a bad hand to a one man shop. It's your right to spend your money as you deem and to trade where you please. He answered a personal email a couple of weeks ago and he hopes to be back to normal early next year. Inventory is a challenge. I'm just a good customer and respect his products and services.

Thanks for the update, that's good to know, with hopes for a speedy recovery and no lingering quality of life effects.

I'm sure, like the other rocketry electronics providers, the chip shortage hasn't been kind to his production efforts, either.

Yeah, Jim got hurt bad. Like, lucky to be alive bad, so please do understand that while real and frustrating the current delays are not a result of ill intent. Jim is really one of the good guys, I am sure anyone with outstanding orders or repairs will be made whole. That doesn't help if you need a product now, I get that, but don't write off MW in the long term thinking this rough stretch is emblematic of the company or the man behind it.

Thank you for the INFO. I had no idea of his accident. I will continue to wait patiently. I'm praying for a speedy recovery for him. This helps me to understand the lack of response.

Yeah, Jim got hurt bad. Like, lucky to be alive bad, so please do understand that while real and frustrating the current delays are not a result of ill intent. Jim is really one of the good guys, I am sure anyone with outstanding orders or repairs will be made whole. That doesn't help if you need a product now, I get that, but don't write off MW in the long term thinking this rough stretch is emblematic of the company or the man behind it.
Sorry to hear this. I hope and pray that he gets better. Jim was helping me about a month ago. I sent him photo's of possible damage to 2 altimeters. He thought that they would be alright and recommended that I put them in an altitude chamber. I building the chamber now. His response was very prompt at the time.

Thank you EVERYONE for the INFO. I had no idea of his accident. I will continue to wait patiently. I'm praying for a speedy recovery for him. This helps me to understand the lack of response.

Jim actually did e-mail me proactively a month ago or so, to mention his accident. I'd been pestering him about once a month or so. So on top of relocating his entire life from Colorado to Hawaii, he had this accident, which put all other things on hold. I wasn't sure if he wanted it publicly announced, so I didn't post it here. But just to back up what everyone has said, he is a reputable guy, his products are good, and once he's back on his feet I'm sure things will return to normal.

I did find myself getting annoyed and frustrated though until I heard about the accident. It puts things into perspective and I'll admit to feeling pretty guilty for a while for feeling what I felt, given the true circumstances of Jim's situation.

Get well soon Jim!!

10-4 on the good guy post. Jim is a stand up guy! He once rose his horse across a swollen river when he got flooded out a few years ago to get me a couple of prototypes in the mail in time for a PlasterBlaster event. True frickin' story! That IS service and dedication! BTW, his Missile Works T-shirts are awesome! Hope he recovers well.

Back