Contacting CTI

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrkennedy2

Reaction score
I know CTI is still very busy after recent events but I am wondering how to contact them regarding the motor starters for the K-160 long burn motor? It is not the standard issue CTI starter and my motor vendor does not stock starters. I tried the "leave a message" link on the web site but have not received a response. I also have looked in the "junk" email folder but have not found anything from pro38. Anyone else out there sell the long burn motor starters? They look like they have pyrogen covering about the last 1.5"...

...I guess I could try to make my own.

:confused:

Much thanks!

Correction,

A normal lighter WILL work fine. I have used Wildman big-en's in K300's
K160's
And plan to next week in a J140

Much thanks to all.! I have a bunch of new places to get 'em.

I tend to get single minded, as in I get them here and if here no longer has them it never dawns on me there are other places. I just sort of get stuck. As in, "stuck in my tracks like a streetcar...

No, worse

An original Paul Robinson J370 Green Gorilla and a M1850 Green Gorilla. I doubt you could light either with an acetylene torch.

No, worse

An original Paul Robinson J370 Green Gorilla and a M1850 Green Gorilla. I doubt you could light either with an acetylene torch.

Try some black propellant slivers. They have a long burn and will work on them. You also need to sand the cores and grain faces, leaving the dust on them, and secure the igniters to the top of the motor with a stick.

I've tried thermite, dipped igniters, slivers of Joel Roger's suicide propellant, and dual Quickburst Fatboys dipped in Hellfire Pyrogen mix. These things are rocks. Basically I've been told that it is the severe hygroscopic quality of the barium compounds that, over time, absorbs so much water that they essentially become inert. But what the heck, what have I got to lose?

Yeah, a local member brought some original AMW Green Gorilla J reloads to a launch a couple of years ago. I'm not sure how many times he tried to get one to light but it was a bunch; no less than 6 let's call it. Anyway, he started with a beefy igniter which didn't work, then added more beef and didn't work, repeat, repeat. He finally went all in with a "Light Dirt" igniter. It failed too. He did manage to get our hopes up on a couple occasions where the motor offered a chuff or two but that was about it. Was really looking forward to it but wasn't to be :(.

I am still using those starters/matches that Crazy Jim was selling a while back (chinese ??)

Used them reliably on ejection charges, and starting motors from H thru to an Research M (well, the M was two twisted together).

Very happy with them.

And plan to next week in a J140

What is that going in, Punisher?

Mine went poorly, horizontal after about 150 feet, but one at LDRS flew well enough. I think it is on the edge, and the few extra ounces mine carries made the difference.

No, worse

Ironically, I flew both of those motors at the spring 2 day Three Oaks, MI launch. The J370 took 3 tries to light but finally did. The M1850 took 2 tries but did. The Pyrodex pellets didn't work as well as propellant slivers augmenting big ol' igniters. I'm a big fan of ridiculous igniters augmented to get things going quickly, so 3 misfires on 2 motors is a good indicator of just how tough they were to light. Chris's advice is great; there's still a glimmer of hope!

There aren't many bigger fans of AMW than me out there, but darn I'm getting tired of trying to get the old Green Gorillas lit! Red Rhino's are a close second on the difficult to light spectrum; all the rest seem to age just fine!

-Eric-

I've tried thermite, dipped igniters, slivers of Joel Roger's suicide propellant, and dual Quickburst Fatboys dipped in Hellfire Pyrogen mix. These things are rocks. Basically I've been told that it is the severe hygroscopic quality of the barium compounds that, over time, absorbs so much water that they essentially become inert. But what the heck, what have I got to lose?

I'd recommend sanding the grains, but be careful with that nasty Barium. I'd also recommend augmenting your igniter with propellant that has a significant aluminum content. Make sure that the propellant sliver has no way to fall out of the motor until it's consumed.

This is my Proteus on a 98-4G White at URRF3. The grains were straight off the mandrel with mold release still in the core. Igniter was a home dipped "Plain Jane" of my making with a 0.75" diameter x 1.25" long "Plain Jane" propellant grain with a 1/4" core. Grain was held on a dowel with tape and ignited at the top so it would burn top down. As you can see, it got the motor going really quickly.

[YOUTUBE]aBzchMBIs2M[/YOUTUBE]

What is that going in, Punisher?

Mine went poorly, horizontal after about 150 feet, but one at LDRS flew well enough. I think it is on the edge, and the few extra ounces mine carries made the difference.

Top Secret.

(Not really)....PML Tiny Pterodactyl drag race at Airfest. It weighs just over a pound. I think I'm ok as far as weight goes.

Ironically, I flew both of those motors at the spring 2 day Three Oaks, MI launch. The J370 took 3 tries to light but finally did. The M1850 took 2 tries but did. The Pyrodex pellets didn't work as well as propellant slivers augmenting big ol' igniters. I'm a big fan of ridiculous igniters augmented to get things going quickly, so 3 misfires on 2 motors is a good indicator of just how tough they were to light. Chris's advice is great; there's still a glimmer of hope!

There aren't many bigger fans of AMW than me out there...besides Preston, darn I'm getting tired of trying to get the old Green Gorillas lit! Red Rhino's are a close second on the difficult to light spectrum; all the rest seem to age just fine!

-Eric-

Fixed it

[video=youtube;eeF_DvkMZjo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeF_DvkMZjo[/video]

Classic Green motor, love how it starts a K, and by the time it actually lights you can hear Neil say its down to a J, then I, then H, etc.........

Back