Construction Materials

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blumoon02k

Reaction score
I have built many rockets from scrach (A,B,C-engine powered), starting with just paper, to cardboard and plastix, to now using balsa wood in the nose cone and fins, and a PVC body tube.(all contructed from scratch-nothing commertially bought) Any suggestions for more light-weight stuff? Thanks!!

Price was not mentioned, so I must say that Carbon Fiber would be next, as it is light and strong...at a price of course.

But if your current progression leads you to lighter yet stronger parts, you might check out using small carbon Fiber tubes to build and fly some cool projects obtaining some great altitudes.

Johnnie Paul

For A, B, C powered birds, I'd hunt for free cardboard tubes before moving to PVC. Well, actually I might spring for some 'real' rocket tubes, but that's just me. When I started in rocketry, I used everything from toilet paper (poor quality and short) rolls to X-mas wrap rolls. Making composite tubes from fiberglass, carbon fiber, etc is probably down the road for you a bit. (but I've run into completely nocvice rocketeers who just happen to be aces in composites, wood working, machining etc and thus are more than ready for advanced techniques)

If you talkin a,b,c, motors than
you have used it already (paper cardboard)..If your set on the scratch route,you can roll your own from kraft tape,

how about those paper tubes from fliskits-They must be light, but are they strong enough? I probabliy would prefer a stiffer material...

Fliskits tubes are typical commercial rocket tubes, like the ones used by Estes. These were designed for this class rocket and if you build right (hard not to) they are great. What they give up in strength, they more than make up in weight (your rockets go higher) and looks (smooth finish with little if any spiral lines - less work to get a great looking bird).

(any one want to venture a guess at how many of such tubes have been successfully used thru the years? Maybe the Wizard of NEMROC will conjure up a guess?)

Originally posted by blumoon02k
Thanks a lot for all of these great sites!

Those guys are just scratching the surface too!

Let us know how you progress along in your quest for scratchbuilding. You are more than welcome to start your own thread regarding a project you are working on. Typically, great documentation with *pictures* will land you tons of kudos and overall feedback. But yes, we LOVE us some pictures!

I also wanted to add that since you appear to be content with scratchbuilding, why not submit your design to the FlisKits "Design of the Month" contest? Ever dream of having your rocket design put into mass production by a manufacturer? Estes used to have it back in the day. With this contest, you can win some gift certificates too and actually have a shot at having your design created into a product!

Welcome to the forum. Glad to see so many new faces.

Back