Conical rocket with first stage parachute recovery build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AstroNom

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it belongs in this forum....
I started to build 2 stage rocket with the first stage parachute recovery. First idea was to use a spring to open the hatch when the second stage separates. However during the build I realized that the stage becomes too heavy and one motor will never lift...:cry: so I cut in 2 more - now its a cluster of 3 Ds. And the ejection from these 2 additional will be used to deploy parachute. I took the first stage shape from N1 Lunar rocket.
First stage - there would be a more pronounced conical skirt around the bottom:
IMG_7403 (533x800).jpg
First stage - parachute compartment:
IMG_7410 (533x800).jpg
Core motor tube is attached. Launch lug fit and holes for exhaust tubes (so 2nd stage will not be pushed out before ignition):
IMG_7430 (533x800).jpg
Fit of the cover for lug/exhaust section:
IMG_7433 (533x800).jpg

Now working on the parachute container itself.

Almost done with the first stage - exhaust side:
IMG_7438 (533x800).jpg
Parachute container side:
IMG_7439 (533x800).jpg
Parachute container itself, there is a spring clip from drywall bolt to throw the container away from the stage - it will come down on it's own streamer:
IMG_7442 (800x533).jpg
This is how this madness will look like at the end (at least for now):
IMG_7434 (533x800).jpg

Yes, it goes little by little, gluing together pieces that were stacked together on the last picture.
The blue skirt is a plastic plate that I trimmed down the bottom to size, however was too heavy - 60 gm, so I tried to trim it from the top as well, but botched it:(, now there is a styrene take out plate at the bottom of the rocket.
The top stage is almost done - no paper skin until it flies at least once, but when I tried to spin it around to determine how stable it is it always flies sideways however I load the nose cone...

Back