Computer illiterate old man

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KILTED COWBOY

Reaction score
I am not very good with computer programs.
But would really like to learn to use Rocksim or OpenRocket.
Does anyone make a book or something like OpenRocket for Dummies?
Which one has the the easiest learning curve.

I personally find OpenRocket easiest to use and it’s free too. I don’t know of any books, but it is pretty easy to pick up and use. Give it a shot and I think the website has a tutorial. If you need any help, feel free to PM me.

What often works well is finding a premade model and tweaking the setting to what you need.

Me too . If it has nuts and bolts and grease, I can do it. OR would not work on mmmy laptop, too old. So I got Rocksim. Have called Apogee many times for helpp and have always had great service.

As I recall Rocsim comes with a manual, but you need to buy the computer code. I think the best way to learn Rocsim or to set up a new model is simply find an old model, look at it and see how things are done, and simply start modifying the old model. Things go pretty fast that way. In essence Rocsim uses a parts-tree starting from the front end or the nose cone with subsequent parts owning the parts below them and branching out.

Apogee also has a series of video tutorials for Rocsim here:
https://www.apogeerockets.com/RockSim/RockSim_Video_Tutorials?pg=education
They really support their products.
Plus they have a cool animated flight profile that OR doesn't.:D
OR is free and it's a good simulator, but the tutorial wiki doesn't load the pictures, so it's worthless.
If the text refers to a picture, and the picture doesn't load, what's the point?
I'm learning it by clicking and doing.
I would say that Rocsim has more features and because it is better supported, has the easier learning curve.
Downside is the cost. So you will have to make a personal decision.
Laters.

Back