Computer help please!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlennW

Reaction score
OK I have one that's stumping me so I figured someone here might have a better clue than me. When I try to open an email attachment with a PPT or PPS extension, I get a popup box saying it can't be opened because there is no program associated with the file and that I should go into Folder Options and create an association. When I go into folder options though, the correct associations are there. Someone had suggested changing the association and then changing it back but that did not work. The only way I was able to get it to work was to save the attachment to my hard drive and then go into it and open it with the appropriate program but I would like not to have to do that every time. Odd that it works that way but I can't simply open it from the email. I am running Windows XP on a Dell pc.

So, any ideas? Anything to lead me in the right direction would be appreciated!

Glenn

There might be an option in your e-mail client that is preventing you from opening attachments with out first saving the file to hard disk. If you can open the file correctly after saving it just by double clicking on the file then I would think that that is where the problem may be. What e-mail program are you using? I use Mozilla Thunderbird, but I hardly get any attachmwnts, so I haven't 'tinkered' with it..

If you are using a browser based email system like within Firefox you would have to set it up in a panel that would look like the attached picture. Some of the older mail apps that where not browser based needed this as well.

If you are using Outlook or Windows Mail it should be using the default application links.

App_Setup.JPG

I am running Windows XP on a Dell pc.

What email client are you using? Are you reading email locally via an application such as Eudora or Outlook, or are you reading it via a web browser?

-Kevin

Sorry, I forgot to mention I am using Microsoft Outlook. It used to work right, I can't figure out why it won't now.

Thanks,
Glenn

Appears to be a reasonably common problem. Look [link=https://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00355.htm]here[/link] for some suggestions on fixing this.

-Kevin

Back