Computer doesn't see my EasyMega on its USB port.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnmiller

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
On my desktop, AltOS recognizes my EasyMega just fine but AltOS on my laptop doesn't find it at all. I've tried different USB ports and cables.
Ideas?

Which OS are the two running?

Does the AltOS get power from the USB port?
If yes, then does the laptop have power on its UBS port (can you charge your cell phone)?

Which OS are the two running?

Does the AltOS get power from the USB port?
If yes, then does the laptop have power on its UBS port (can you charge your cell phone)?

The Altimeter is plugged into a USB port on the laptop that is capable also of charging. The Altimeter is also
connected to a Lipo and is turned on, as per the directions.

I am using Windows 10 on the laptop, same OS as on my desktop where everything works properly.

What shows up in 'Device Manager" on each Win10 when you plug in the AltOS?

Hi Waltr

It says "AltusMetrum28" under "modem" in Device manager in both the desktop and laptop
and strangely enough, when I tried it just now, it works just fine on the laptop. Thanks for your help though!
Computers, go figure!

Question for ya...
This is my first time using AltOS to configure an Altus Metrum product.
For my backup main, I want to deploy at 500'. Is it as simple
as setting 'height above pad' to 500 and 'ascent rate less than' to 0 ?

Good it now works for whatever reason.

I've never used an AltOS so would need to read the manual.
Getting things to connect under windows I have done a lot of.

Good it now works for whatever reason.

I've never used an AltOS so would need to read the manual.
Getting things to connect under windows I have done a lot of.

Just FYI, I discovered the reason it did not work on the laptop at first. This was really bugging me because
I knew there had to be a logical reason.

It seems the EasyMega won't be seen by the computer if its vertical (ready mode). It has to be horizontal (idle mode).

Problem solved!

So it's documented in firmware modes, but is documented in the place you would actually look for it if you were trying to get the USB link to connect. This is like the HHGTTG. We filed plans for the demolition of Earth on Alpha Centauri 100 years ago. If this is catching people out, it should be highlighted where it's going to trip you up. Or maybe Bdale and Keith could make the manual a Wiki. So we can update it ourselves.
Firmware modes is NOT a logical place to have this. Base station setup would be as this has caused a base station functionality issue by failing to identify the flight computer because it doesn't open id itself if it's vertical.
Basic functionality issues shouldn't have to be found out about in firmware links........

So it's documented in firmware modes, but is documented in the place you would actually look for it if you were trying to get the USB link to connect. This is like the HHGTTG. We filed plans for the demolition of Earth on Alpha Centauri 100 years ago. If this is catching people out, it should be highlighted where it's going to trip you up. Or maybe Bdale and Keith could make the manual a Wiki. So we can update it ourselves.
Firmware modes is NOT a logical place to have this. Base station setup would be as this has caused a base station functionality issue by failing to identify the flight computer because it doesn't open id itself if it's vertical.
Basic functionality issues shouldn't have to be found out about in firmware links........
The manual is 128 pages long, 50 of which are Firmware revision release notes, which can be skipped. I'll be the first to admit that the documentation could be organised better, but if people can't work through 78 pages (realistically even less given the sections for each device) to familiarise themselves with a device that most likely cost over $100 I'm not sure what to say. It amazes me how many people will spend the equivalent of days building a rocket only to show up for a launch without having integrated their electronics, much less test it beforehand, or even read the manual.

The manual is 128 pages long, 50 of which are Firmware revision release notes, which can be skipped. I'll be the first to admit that the documentation could be organised better, but if people can't work through 78 pages (realistically even less given the sections for each device) to familiarise themselves with a device that most likely cost over $100 I'm not sure what to say. It amazes me how many people will spend the equivalent of days building a rocket only to show up for a launch without having integrated their electronics, much less test it beforehand, or even read the manual.
Just to be clear here Andrew, you're suggesting that reading 78 pages to get your transmitter recognised is appropriate? I'm going to respectfully dissagree. Basic functionality should not require reading and fully absorbing the minutae of 78 pages.
Detailed operation maybe, but not basic operation. That would be bad........

It seems the EasyMega won't be seen by the computer if its vertical (ready mode). It has to be horizontal (idle mode).

That is a terrible design choice, unexpected misfeature. They should be ashamed about it and should have fixed it long ago.

Just to be clear here Andrew, you're suggesting that reading 78 pages to get your transmitter recognised is appropriate? I'm going to respectfully dissagree. Basic functionality should not require reading and fully absorbing the minutae of 78 pages.
Detailed operation maybe, but not basic operation. That would be bad........
If it's not working, and you paid hundreds of dollars for the privilege, yes. I would read the manual. And have.
The main issue with the manual is that it's a 'one document for all devices' which makes organising the content challenging. And while I agree that for the EasyMega it's not a great feature, the ability to boot radio enabled Altus FCs in Idle mode for the purposes of testing (say, for ejection charge testing without having to modify your vehicle to have USB cables hanging out) is a definite value add.

Last edited:
@bdale Looks like Andrew is well versed in this manual issue and might be able to assist fixing up the documentation.
I'd like to think you'd check with me before offering me up to do work for free Norm, but I guess that's expecting too much. Funnily enough ages ago I did consider writing a User Guide for Altus products but once I realised I'd be opening myself up to a bunch of unreasonable complaints from many a rocket enthusiast who couldn't RTFM I decided my sanity was more valuable.
The website in your signature is down fyi.

I'd like to think you'd check with me before offering me up to do work for free Norm, but I guess that's expecting too much. Funnily enough ages ago I did consider writing a User Guide for Altus products but once I realised I'd be opening myself up to a bunch of unreasonable complaints from many a rocket enthusiast who couldn't RTFM I decided my sanity was more valuable.
The website in your signature is down fyi.
Looks like its ok on HTTPS. Probably a browser issue. Working for me, but I've updated the link. Says it's up below. Thanks for advising.
1654066748871.png

I get it that taking this on would be a PITA....... I personally think that a single manual for all products is not useful. Just because the base software is across them all.
I own 2 Telemetrum2's and an Easy Mini. It seems like every time I go to use them there is a new software or firmware revision that needs applying but can't be without the board clip USB update tool...... Hey Ho...
Anyway.... seems to be working for the OP. My easiest solution would be for me to write my own manual for me, distilled from the melange....
Norm

Looks like its ok on HTTPS. Probably a browser issue. Working for me, but I've updated the link. Says it's up below. Thanks for advising.
View attachment 521226

I get it that taking this on would be a PITA....... I personally think that a single manual for all products is not useful. Just because the base software is across them all.
I own 2 Telemetrum2's and an Easy Mini. It seems like every time I go to use them there is a new software or firmware revision that needs applying but can't be without the board clip USB update tool...... Hey Ho...
Anyway.... seems to be working for the OP. My easiest solution would be for me to write my own manual for me, distilled from the melange....
Norm
Yea, it is ok over HTTPS. But if you attempt to hit it over port 80 you get a blank page and a scam pop up window.

1654070810510.png

Writing the documentation would be the easy part, the harder part would be dealing with people reading it.

Just FYI, I discovered the reason it did not work on the laptop at first. This was really bugging me because
I knew there had to be a logical reason.

Problem solved!
Thank you for this thread, problem solved. First time using EasyMega.

Back