Compressors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QED Rocketry Kit: Bag It or Build It

• It's a Collectible, DO NOT Build It

• Build It, Rocket Kits are Meant to Fly

• It's a Collectible, DO NOT Build It

• Build It, Rocket Kits are Meant to Fly

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hospital_Rocket

Reaction score
I'm getting kind of tired of $11.50 a can for propellant for my airbrush and want to buy a compressor.

Now for the decision:

Should I buy a basic $100 compressor designed for airbrush use, or should I spend a bit more and get a "real" compressor that I could use for things like an airgun and possibly a spray gun (think BIG rockets)

A

Hospital,

I just recently got the Porter & Cable 135PSI compresser & nailer combo kit. It has an adjustable regulator so you can use a large number of different air tools, including hobby airbrush. I bought an adapter kit for it and connected to my older Sears airbrush with no problem.

I voted small shop compressor, you can get one in the 4 to 5 gallon range for around $100,, I have mine run to annother 5 gallon tank that someone was throwing out and can run nail guns , air tools even an air sander! they are not quiet when they are refilling so I wouldn't suggest it, if you are using it in the house.

this is the one I have

https://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=90385

I bought a small one from Wal Mart. I believe the brand name is All Trade. It's a very small one, with a 2 gallon tank, and only cost me about 80 bucks. It's been great to have around the house, but there have been times I've wished I had gotten a bigger one, and would only have spent about 20-30 dollars more.

I agree with Stymye, check out Harbor Freight. From the research I did before buying mine, 90 percent of the compressors on the market are all made by the same company. They just have different color paint, and a different name on the stickers.

For about $100 you can get a CO2 tank setup which will last a long long time, refills are pretty cheap too.

Quiet and dependable.

compare that to an 8 gall compressor for $110......with an unlimited supply that can be used for all sorts of things including larger spray guns.... theres always pros and cons,, if you can find an excellent deal on a co2 set up and just want to do mainly detail stuff and only use it for that ...go for it.

but I guarentee it wont out perform a small shop compresor in versatility or price.

I suppose it's up to what you want to use it for

Anyone tried using a Hermetic compressor orf a domestic fridge?

If so what comments/tips have you got.

Anyone tried using a Hermetic compressor orf a domestic fridge?

Yes, I have seen that work but it does require some modification to work properly. (fitting etc.)

Best part is the price...usually free!

A couple of years ago I bought a basic kit from a car accessory shop. It had a full size spray gun and a tyre inflater/pressure gauge. I gave it a lot of use as I had a RAV4 with porous alloys that needed topping up every few days to 30 psi (don't ask why I didn't get it sorted - it's a long story) . The compressor didn't have a reservoir tank and I burnt out the motor trying to inflate my mountain bike tyres to 50 psi. Never did get to use the spray gun.

I'll get a better one next time, any that are suitable for air tools should have all the capacity I need.

If you've got the space and place to mitigate the noise (e.g. garage or basement), one generally never regrets buying a larger, more general-purpose compressor. Air tools are very handy devices and they find utility way beyond rocketry. A small, airbrush specific compressor is pretty much a one-trick pony.

Originally posted by stymye
compare that to an 8 gall compressor for $110......with an unlimited supply that can be used for all sorts of things including larger spray guns.... theres always pros and cons,, if you can find an excellent deal on a co2 set up and just want to do mainly detail stuff and only use it for that ...go for it.

but I guarentee it wont out perform a small shop compresor in versatility or price.

I suppose it's up to what you want to use it for

>>>>> My 2Cents worth. I have an 8 gal commerical compressor, a 4gal Shop compessor and a couple of the portable diafram air bursh comperssors. Styme is right on! for most model rocketeers and hobbiest the 4gal compressor is tops. Being able to requlate the perssure between 22 and 120psi with a small reserve tank will give airbursh and sprayguns plenty of versitility while still being able to fill the family SUV tires if needed:D

Originally posted by Micromeister
>>>>> My 2Cents worth. I have an 8 gal commerical compressor, a 4gal Shop compessor and a couple of the portable diafram air bursh comperssors. Styme is right on! for most model rocketeers and hobbiest the 4gal compressor is tops. Being able to requlate the perssure between 22 and 120psi with a small reserve tank will give airbursh and sprayguns plenty of versitility while still being able to fill the family SUV tires if needed:D

How about noise? Even with the 4 gallon res does it run all the time or will it shut down occasionally?

Back