Composite tubing: finally

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DynaSoar

Reaction score
Most carbon composite tubing I found was unsuitable due to being exactly 1.5" ID, too tight a fit.

Maclean has some that's perfect for 38mm minimum diameter airframes:

Item #35072, 1.53" ID, 1.63" OD, weight 0.167 lbs/ft
You can order any length, up to 14 foot max, for $17.55/ft, no minimum order.

Size comparison: 38mm tubes from Balsa Machining and LOC/Precision are both 1.525 ID, 1.635 OD, and phenolic from PML is 1.525 ID, 1.65 OD.

Acme fin cans can fit any OD up to 1.67. I suppose one can assume that any motor retainers that fit the above tubes will fit these.

To order call Adam Weeks at 801-565-8003 ext 124

how about the spiral wound construction of that particular tube, is it suitable?

i have a couple dollars freed up on my credit card..
let us know hyow it works!
:D

Originally posted by Elapid
how about the spiral wound construction of that particular tube, is it suitable?

i have a couple dollars freed up on my credit card..
let us know hyow it works!
:D

Winding won't matter much. I'm sure it's plenty strong. It was intended as bicycle frame. The outer surface is smooth and that's most important.

I already have all the parts except tube for a 38mm minimum diameter bird on the way. I'll need to enlist the help of someone with Rocsim to tell me the max engine size this thing will stay stable with if it's only 3 feet long.

i'd be happy to model it for you.

that stuff should be plenty strong enough for a rocket which has no torsional stresses like a bike does.

Hmmmm...I have been wanting to do something similar to this for a while...looks like my LOC nosecone that I have had laying around will fit nicely.

It's too bad Carbon fiber is so expensive...it's cool looking and lite.

If you could settle for fiberglass, Performance Rocketry has 38mm fiberglass tubing for $9 a foot. They also have carbon tubing at $19 a foot. Not too bad, and perfect spec. for commercial nosecones.

This is something to consider in the future for me, we'll see. Thanks for digging this up for us!

Back