Completely Green

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carson

Reaction score
I've never owned a rocket or even seen one launched.
I'm very interested in getting into the hobby. Were do I start???
A good starter rocket and some informational site to research and learn the ins and outs of the hobby.

Hi Carson,

A good place to start would be the National Association of Rocketry (NAR) https://www.nar.org/index.html

The Tripoli Rocketry Association is an excellent group for high power rocketry (TRA). https://www.tripoli.org/

For your first rocket I would go down to a local hobby shop and buy a starter kit. It will come with an easy to assemble rocket and should also come with a launch pad, launch controller, some motors, and everything else you need to get started.

After that you'll be able to build larger and more complex rockets. Just make sure that you choose a large enough field to fly in as they tend to drift somewhat on the way back down.

Here are some good sites from around the web...

MaxThrust Rocketry news and info.

LOC/Precision Body tubes, parachutes, and kits. Everything you need to custom build any rocket.

Public Missiles More rocket materials and hardware for custom building.

Rocketry.org Lots of general info.

Canadian Association of Rocketry (CAR) If you ever find yourself flying north of the border.

And of course The Rocketry Forum!!

There are many more sites out there. Hope this helps. :D

Welcome Carson!

Probably your best bet to get started will be an Estes starter kit. Not because the rockets in those kits are good (most rockets in an Estes starter package these days are plastic ready-to-fly birds, and you will get bored quickly with it). The reason to get a starter kit is the other stuff.

A starter kit should include the launch pad and launch rod, an electrical ignition system, one or two rockets, and a couple motors. Check the package labeling to make sure you are getting all this stuff. You will need to buy batteries for the ignition system. The Estes launch pad comes apart for storage which is a pretty handy feature. The two-piece launch rod that comes with the starter special is junk. You can get a 36 inch long, 1/8 inch diameter steel rod at your hobby shop or hardware store for about a buck-n-a-half.

You can get one of these starter sets at W-mart for around $16-18, or you can wait for Hobby Lobby to run a half-price sale (might be a long wait, their rocket sales don't always include starter sets). If you have a Michaels MJ Design near you, check to see if they stock model rockets or starter sets----Michaels also has 40 percent-off coupons in the Sunday paper every weekend.

Once you get going, about the cheapest local place to buy motors will be your W-mart (I can't believe I am recommending that place). They sell a three-pack of motors (with igniters and ejection wadding) for $5, for 18mm A-B-C-class motors. A four-pack of 13mm motors also costs $5 there.

When you begin to get bored with the plastic Estes rocket, check out FlisKits for some really good-quality kits. They have actual balsa wood parts that need some honest-to-goodness craft skills. And there are lots of other vendors with good stuff, just ask here on TRF about the kind of designs you are interested in and you'll get lots of advice and help!

Welcome to TRF Carson!

As these guys said, a starter kit is the way to go. Check out the NAR or Tripoli websites and see if there are any organized launches close to you. If there are, go to one and see what it's all about! Make sure you bring a camera and take pics! ;)

Rocketeers are the best bunch of people around!

Welcome to the forum and to the sport, Carson.

First of all, the starter kit is a great idea. Read the package carefully and get and extra pack of motors that matches the ones inside, because two won't be enough!
Where you go from there is up to you. What is your level of experience in general modelling? Have you used hobby knives, adhesives, sandpaper and other hobby tools before? If not, then it will be wise to follow the skill level ratings of the kits pretty closely. Build several skill level 1 kits before attempting a level 2, and so on.

If you want to get your feet wet without feeling like you have to make a huge commitment, don't be afraid to launch on your own for a while if you have a good field available. Groups of experienced people can be intimidating for a new guy. Of course, they can offer lots of help and great advise also! It is not absolutely necessary to join a club or group to be a rocketeer, though there are advantages, especially if you don't have a good field yourself. Come here and ask lots of questions. There will usually be an answer within an hour or two.

Carson,

As others have suggested, your best bet is to attend a local club launch if there's one in your area. I know there's an NAR section in Shampoo-Banana (that's Champaign-Urbana for you non-Illini)...don't know how close you are to CU. Check the NAR website for other sections if you're closer to MO or IN. If you're more interested in high-power you'll want to check out the Tripoli website.

You should have no lack of wide open spaces for launching in Southern Illinois, so if none of these is convenient pick up a starter set and give it a go on your own.

welcome to the forum and the hobby! :)

You've come to a forum made up of many old salts in the hobby as well as many new to the sport, as yourself. So you are in very good company.

This hobby has a way of getting its hooks into you, so be prepared to have your place start to look like a gary larson version of NASA... :p

Definitely go for a starter set to get all the materials you need. The set should also provide some basic literature *about* model rocketry that will be very helpful to you as a beginner to this hobby.

This forum (TRF) will be your best overall resource. Please don't hesitate to ask questions, learn and even teach. Yea, teach. Think about it, in probably 2 weeks *you* will probably have a launch under your belt, then someone else like you will come into this forum and you will be able to share your experiences as a beginner. And that's what it's all about.

Have fun and thanx for inviting us to share you introduction to rocketry!

I'm pretty handy with wood tools, I've been building cabinets for many years and learned alot about working with small projects building and playing with fast electric radio control boats.
But I watched a couple of shows about rocketry on discovery channel, that has sparked an interest.
It looks like I'll be doing some site reading.
Thanks

A great new place to start is www.flyrockets.com. Check out the "Rocket Challenge" three-hour show on Discovery Channel this week too, if you want to see how far this hobby can take you.

Welcome aboard!

The best recommendation I have for any beginner is to buy an ESTES Alpha III Starter set. These are carried by Michael's Craft shops and they had a 50% coupon in last sunday's paper for use today and tomorrow. Using the coupon when buying the ALPHA III starter set, you get a porta pad launcher, an electron beam launch controller, a couple of engines, and a rocket all for about $10.00. You just cannot beat that.

I use a porta pad launcher and an electron beam controller for all of my models up to 'D' engines. These two items will last you a lifetime if you do not abuse them.

I would suggest this starter set even if you are interested in mid and high power rockets, so you can obtain the needed background and experience is a relatively short time, for a minimal amount of money.

I am not knocking High Power in any way, but I have a blast with my 'regular' model rockets using ESTES and QUEST motors that are available just about everywhere and are inexpensive to boot.

Welcome to the hobby, and remember.

We are here to have Fun!!! :)

Welcome to the forum!!! I think you may be seeing a trend. Ask one question and get 1000 answers. :) Seriously, there are a million options to getting started but I would like to echo the previous statements. Start with an Estes kit. They are fun to build and fun to launch. And if your first rocket lasts through many launches, be proud and happy. Course, if your luck is like mine, you will burn many rockets on their first launch: Lost in trees or slamming into the ground. If that happens, don't worry or get discouraged, that is just an excuse to get more rockets. :)

I would also suggest going to visit one of the club launches. You will find some amazing things going on. Just make sure you hold on to your wallet real tight cause this hobby tends to suck the green stuff right out. :)

I agree with PGerringer. When I got started, I went to www.launchpad2000.com and ordered an Alpha III starter set, a Big Bertha, Big Daddy, and a Fatboy. On my first launch, I lost the Big Bertha on it's first flight. I lost the Big Daddy, on it's third launch. That didn't slow me down at all. I bought another Big Daddy and kept on going.

For a starter set, I recommend the Super Shot starter set. It's the one with 2 rockets. I think they are called the Super Shot and the Twister. You can usually find it in WalMart. After that, check out www.fliskits.com Great kits and super customer service.:)

Originally posted by Rocketman248
For a starter set, I recommend the Super Shot starter set.

LOL, I lost my glassed Super Shot on an F. Lost a reusable motor casing too. :D Great kit though.

Carson,

Stay here pretty much...do some searches, look at the pictures, read the advice. bookmark the links everybody here will post.

You really don't need to go anywhere else.

Read, read, read...enjoy!

And welcome aboard!

sandman

Originally posted by sandman
Carson,

Stay here pretty much...do some searches, look at the pictures, read the advice. bookmark the links everybody here will post.

You really don't need to go anywhere else.

Read, read, read...enjoy!

And welcome aboard!

sandman

I agree. Although I must suggest that you venture elsewhere for a while so that you *really* get a true appreciation for this forum. I have pretty much exhausted all efforts to participate elsewhere. This is a no hassle, no frustration, political-free environment to talk about ANY project you are involved in.

WELCOME TO TRF! Welcome to Rocketry. I hope you find everything you need. Be sure to post some follow-ups and pictures on your adventures in the hobby.

Read Harry Stine's "Handbook for Model Rocketry"

It is a thorough and clear explaination of nearly all the components of model rocketry.

I re-read it every year.....as well as lurk here. :D

Bob

Carson,

While it is certainly true that rockets do, on occasion, fly away, it is also possible to keep the same rocket and fly it dozens of times (until you are sick of it).

The trick is, you have to find a flying field big enough, without lots of trees or elevated wires, and don't use a motor too big. For field size, the NAR website has some recommendations at the end of the Safety Code--- until you have more experience, use these as a MINIMUM. I have had good luck with looking for school playgrounds in the city, and sometimes local parks will have a big unobstructed area.

Don't be too proud to make your first flights with 1/2A and A power, especially the first one or two flights of the day. Often times you will find out that the wind direction 'up there' is different than the apparent wind conditions at ground level. It is a good habit to make your first few flights with a trusted design, to check out how severe the wind drift problem is. Then you can go 'Tim Allen' and go for more power.

Another idea: you are free to substitute a streamer for whatever parachute comes with your rocket kit. Streamer-recovery-rockets will descend much faster, minimizing any wind drift problems. If you make your attachments with the tiny swivel-clips like fishermen use, it still gives you the flexibility to remove the streamer and add a parachute when the winds die down, or when you find a really big flying field.

Welcome, welcome! I enterd the hobby when I was 10, and I am now ALMOST 13, and i have flown almost 200 motors and used my first HPR a week and a half ago. Look to Hobbylinc for good prices and quick delivery, but stay well away from Discount Hobby Center. They are horrible. They take about 8 months to get your order to you, if they get it to you at all. My first model was the Estes Gnome. and a bulk pack of engines. You should make sure you have a room in your house you can devote to rockets. You will be at the point where you are out of room in about 6 months, if you are only using a shelf or small baby-room for storage.... As you have proabably guessed, I am obbsessive. And I am not the only one, though my mom would like to think so...;) My mom is yellin her head off for me to ride my bike over and return a movie. but it is 35 degrees out..... cmon mom..... darn. See yah!

Awrighty,,,, Im back. Watch some vidios from Dougs Website . That should give you the feel for it. Then find yerself a local club. There are 3 in Illiniois. Heres the NAR listing . Thats pretty much it. Welcome to rocketry! you will be having a lot of fun.....

I can't beleive the support and advice you get from 1 post here.
And in less than a day.
Thanks for the advice and I think I've got lots of home work to do.
I'll let you know when I buy my starter kit and make my first launch.
I've posted on several RC boat sites and didn't get this much response.
Thanks

Welcome, Carson. It can be quite astounding the number of responses you can get with one question. BUT this forum is alot more helpful, and friendly (I've only seen 1 flame in the year I've been here!), than your average forum. :)

One thing people have neglected to inform you of (very slack, you lot! ;) ), is that we like pictures! :D TRF is hosted on a server in Milo's house, so space isn't of such a premium here; so get a digital camera, and get uploading rocket photos. It would be cool to see some shots of your 1st launch. :D

Apart from that, do what everybody else is telling you: get an Estes starter kit, fly that a couple of times & you'll be addicted (its like Crack this hobby ;) ), than get yourself over to Fliskits. I've just built a Battle Axe by Rockethead Rockets. Its very streightforward to build, and would be very suitable for a 2nd or 3rd rocket to attempt.

We have given you a few days, you should have at least one rocket by now, right? RIGHT?

You have lots of options to choose from, even if the kits are not carried by any retailers near you. Check out JimZ's huge library of old Estes and Centuri model rocket plans (and lots of others). These are mostly low-power stuff, and all are proven designs that build well, are stable in flight, and perform well. When you find one that strikes your fancy, you can probably find the parts online, there are lots of places to shop.

For body tubes: Totally Tubular, Apogee Components, Fliskits, lots of others.
https://www.buyrockets.com/buyrockets/tt.html
https://www.apogeerockets.com/index.asp
https://www.fliskits.com

For nose cones: Balsa Machining Service, Fliskits, or spell out what shape you want and our Sandman will spin one for you.
https://www.balsamachining.com
https://www.fliskits.com

For balsa sheet fin stock: check your local hobby and craft shops.

For parachutes: Thrustline, BMS, Fliskits, Totally Tubular
https://www.thrustaero.com
https://www.balsamachining.com

For engine thrust rings, motor mount tubes, centering rings, launch lugs, and all the other stuff: Fliskits, Totally Tubular . .

I think you'll catch on fast

I wanna know what your getting, or got. I bet you telling us will spark 100 more posts. So please tell us. BTW Pix can't hurt either.

I have not bought one yet but I've been to about 6 stores in the area that sell them. Estes kits seem to be what everyone carries around here. I found the biggest sellection last night at a Hobby Lobby in my area. If the forecast hadn't been rain for the next several days, I would have bought one then. :D Like with most hobbies I get into, once I start, I get alittle out of controle. much to the dismay of my wife.

Like with most hobbies I get into, once I start, I get alittle out of controle. much to the dismay of my wife.

Gee, you're kind of unusual!...nobody here ever does that!

We're all perfectly normal!

sandman

Gee, my wife NEVER nags me about the bujillion kits I have, boxed up and stacked up and falling out of the closet. Or all the half-finished construction projects laying around. Or that big box (full of motors) with the 'No Smoking-Explosives Storage' sign on it that I keep under the bed.

And my wife NEVER bugs me about the 4ft stack of Alpha starter kits from 1972-1986 in the back bedroom, or the rocket books all over the house, or the paint smells from the basement, or the 'mystery packages' that arrive from Fliskits, BMS, or ebay...or even for the many other things I could be doing around the house other than rockets......

:rolleyes:

Carson, I just realized where you were from. The last time I went to Carbondale, the Hobby Lobby there had a decent supply of Estes stuff. I assume that's the HL location you speak of. The one in Paducah, KY has a good supply also, along with a full line of Estes Motors. It's been quite some time since I've visited the one in Cape Girardeau, MO, but, they didn't have much on my last visit. What area of Southern IL are you from? Also, what other stores in your area carry rockets (for the next time I'm up that way)?

Welcome to the forum! I have been here since June and I can't begin to count all the tips/tricks I have found since joining.

Hey Astronboy.....

It's those "mystery packages" that get me in trouble too. My wife just rolls her eyes without comment now. ;)

Back