Completed Estes Pro Series Patriot

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowspawn

Reaction score
Today I completed my Estes Pro Series Patriot Missile (issued in the 90’s). I began construction and nearly completed it ‘98; finally got around to installing the fins in summer 2021. I guess it’s okay to say (with a wink) that it took me 23 years to build it. Take a look at the hollow-frame fins and 4-motor cluster of this original design. There have been many clones since, but as far as I know, they’re all single motor versions with basswood fins.

Attachments

• 777A4E2C-8354-450F-92B5-F3F1664F7889.jpeg
    777A4E2C-8354-450F-92B5-F3F1664F7889.jpeg
    65.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 4EF2BDEC-0BB4-40B0-A45F-5E01F65889B4.jpeg
    4EF2BDEC-0BB4-40B0-A45F-5E01F65889B4.jpeg
    59.4 KB · Views: 55
  • C2370D3C-25F1-4573-A7C0-BFD9F4BF3731.jpeg
    C2370D3C-25F1-4573-A7C0-BFD9F4BF3731.jpeg
    63.5 KB · Views: 54
  • E1ABD628-83FF-4D55-AD9F-80973437DF9D.jpeg
    E1ABD628-83FF-4D55-AD9F-80973437DF9D.jpeg
    65 KB · Views: 58
  • 4F26395E-01FE-4987-9557-AE221F9F87DF.jpeg
    4F26395E-01FE-4987-9557-AE221F9F87DF.jpeg
    53.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 5432C2A1-217A-4299-BA55-92B433E7A27F.jpeg
    5432C2A1-217A-4299-BA55-92B433E7A27F.jpeg
    62.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 05DB5648-DC99-4BFA-9D95-638B54E9B472.jpeg
    05DB5648-DC99-4BFA-9D95-638B54E9B472.jpeg
    64.9 KB · Views: 63
Nice work, that was a sweet kit. The 4" diameter North Coast by Estes that came after this was discontinued had plywood fins, but no boat-tail or diamond profile. Bigger, but much more sport-scale, and 2-3x heavier.

That is just a beauty! Very nice build with great details. Well done!

Are you going to launch it? :questions:

That is just a beauty! Very nice build with great details. Well done!

Are you going to launch it? :questions:
Well, that’s the plan… I kinda feel like I HAVE to launch it at least once. They were made to fly and I can’t chicken out now. It’s a risk/reward thing, I guess. If things go wrong - heartbreak. But, if all goes right, well, then, you’ve slayed the dragon and you can retire it! 😄

These are great fliers on Estes D12-5s. Do not try D12-3s...way too early ejection resulting in a zipper. Don't ask me how I know. :oops:
Whoa! I’m so glad you said that; I was just speculating last evening that I would go with 3’s owing to apparent weight. Thank you for saving me from myself. Sorry you found out the hard way. That would be heartbreaking. 💔

Funny you should be talking about this- I'm actually trying to REMOVE the engine mount on mine and replace it with a 29mm single mount instead.
So I see what happens when your initial build job is TOO good! Any more comments and I'll make my own post for it. :D

Every time I see one I want to build a 29mm clone. Last time I was deciding what to build next I did a poll and it was one of the possibilities. Replies ranged from "it's a 4FNC" rocket to "everyone should have one".

Your rocket looks so totally awesome I am thinking about building one again. It just looks so good... The cluster looks cool too. I just wonder what would happen with some Quest motors. I typically like altitudes of 1,000 to 1,500 feet...

I am feeling inspired again :)

-Bob

Funny you should be talking about this- I'm actually trying to REMOVE the engine mount on mine and replace it with a 29mm single mount instead.

I'm a bit surprised no one had said anything, but just fyi, from what I've read on this forum, this is generally looked down upon considering the rarity/induced value of the kit, as well as the availability of similar, 29mm mount Patriot options from other manufacturers. Obviously, it's your kit to do as you please, so this was simply food for thought!

Every time I see one I want to build a 29mm clone. Last time I was deciding what to build next I did a poll and it was one of the possibilities. Replies ranged from "it's a 4FNC" rocket to "everyone should have one".

Your rocket looks so totally awesome I am thinking about building one again. It just looks so good... The cluster looks cool too. I just wonder what would happen with some Quest motors. I typically like altitudes of 1,000 to 1,500 feet...

I am feeling inspired again :)

-Bob
Thanks. Back in the day, I liked the feeling that it was a complex rocket that would be both challenging to build and tricky to fly (cluster ignition). I hope your new build will be as satisfying as this one was to me.

I'm a bit surprised no one had said anything, but just fyi, from what I've read on this forum, this is generally looked down upon considering the rarity/induced value of the kit, as well as the availability of similar, 29mm mount Patriot options from other manufacturers. Obviously, it's your kit to do as you please, so this was simply food for thought!
I’m puzzled about the value of the kit. Not only is it OOB, it’s been flown so YMMV.

From an economical view, 4 D12 are about $23 and produce 68Ns. One F15 is $12 and produces 49Ns. If going for broke, I’d go with two 29mm.

I’m puzzled about the value of the kit. Not only is it OOB, it’s been flown so YMMV.

From an economical view, 4 D12 are about $23 and produce 68Ns. One F15 is $12 and produces 49Ns. If going for broke, I’d go with two 29mm.
My sense is that among adult rocketry enthusiasts (especially BAR’s) project pursuits and nostalgia builds are never really about practical economics (money), or performance efficiency, it’s about bringing a celebrated old bird back to life, flying it, recovering it… and doing it the hard, challenging, inefficient way just like the original design and instructions called for. 😄

My sense is that among adult rocketry enthusiasts (especially BAR’s) project pursuits and nostalgia builds are never really about practical economics (money), or performance efficiency, it’s about bringing a celebrated old bird back to life, flying it, recovering it… and doing it the hard, challenging, inefficient way just like the original design and instructions called for. 😄
I guess I would be more nostalgic for the rocket if it was NIB, or at least never flown. That would be a shame. Rockets are meant to fly...

I guess I would be more nostalgic for the rocket if it was NIB, or at least never flown. That would be a shame. Rockets are meant to fly...
Mine was NIB in the 90’s, I began and nearly completed it back then, but it was put in storage for 23 years awaiting me to attach the fins. It has never flown, but is now ready for the pad, in the original configuration as designed.

Mine was NIB in the 90’s, I began and nearly completed it back then, but it was put in storage for 23 years awaiting me to attach the fins. It has never flown, but is now ready for the pad, in the original configuration as designed.
Clusters are their own challenge. If all we were after was performance (outside of helicopters and gliders), we’d likely never fly anything but 3FNC minimum diameter single motor designs. Nothing wrong with those, but many of us have walked outside the lines a bit, some more than others!

have a great flight!

I was referencing the poster who wanted to replace the 4 cluster with the 29mm. I say go for it, or better yet, 2x29.

This is one of Estes' first classic Pro type rockets. My first flight with the D12-3s was a complete disappointment but was easily repaired and has had MANY memorable fantastic flights since with the 4 D12-5s. It gets great height and is always a fun challenge prepping with the 4 motors. I use the command control power pad that came out at the time the Pro Patriot model was introduced. It's always cool to listen for the 4 ejection charges as the rocket is nearly out of sight! I would love to find another model and build exactly as Estes proposed!

I'll be honest, I'm not quite sure what you mean with this reply. I was trying to say that since there are currently 29mm Patriot kits in production today, it seems frowned upon to modify the out-of-production Estes 4-motor cluster version to something you can still purchase today.

Not everything has to be about maximum performance or value. Or else we wouldn't even fly rockets, since we're literally burning money whenever a motor ignites!

"as well as the availability of similar, 29mm mount Patriot options from other manufacturers"

There's other kits, but coming from a scale view this one is pretty close to scale. Sure, the fins are over sized but most other kits don't even have the boat tail

"From an economical view, 4 D12 are about $23 and produce 68Ns. One F15 is $12 and produces 49Ns."

D12-5 at HL are 7.99 a pair so 16 bucks a launch. E12-6 are 15.99 for three so a little over 21 bucks a launch. F15's might be cheaper, but definitely not cooler. BTW, who makes the F15? I couldn't find it at buyrocketmotors.com or balsamachining.com

Prices are kinda crazy for originals. I did see someone was selling clone kits on eBay though.

Recently finish another "gotta have one" rocket, a upscaled Goblin . Might be time for this "got to have one" rocket :)

-Bob

I haven't clustered yet but thinking about it. Seems like it fails about half the time. A 4 cluster is definitely awesome but more likely to fail than a single or 2 cluster rocket. I'm watching Everyday Astronauts video with Elon talking about minimizing design for the greatest thrust so has me thinking. Don't mind me...

I guess you also have to add hazmat to the economics. Not needed for the D's...

https://www.apogeerockets.com/Rocket_Motors/Estes_Motors/29mm_Motors/Estes_Motors_F15-4?cPath=7_265&

This is one of Estes' first classic Pro type rockets. My first flight with the D12-3s was a complete disappointment but was easily repaired and has had MANY memorable fantastic flights since with the 4 D12-5s. It gets great height and is always a fun challenge prepping with the 4 motors. I use the command control power pad that came out at the time the Pro Patriot model was introduced. It's always cool to listen for the 4 ejection charges as the rocket is nearly out of sight! I would love to find another model and build exactly as Estes proposed!
Debe ser una locura un lanzamiento con 4 motores!!!!!!!

Back