3D Printing Complete Newb Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fenbay

Reaction score
I'm just getting back into rocketry thanks to my 10yo son's interest after I used to build them with my father when I was a kid (I'm 46).

I always loved the plastic rockets that were sturdy compared to the balsa and cardboard more common rockets. I fondly recall an X-15 plastic model I had that lasted a very long time.

All this said, if one invests in a decent 3D printer and spends the time learning the ins-and outs, can you build entire rockets out of plastic (I think I saw something about ordering acrylic tubes) rather than being forced to use some cardboard parts and still use standard LPR engines successfully? I know weight is a major issue, but I wouldn't be looking to set any altitude records.

Thanks, and apologies if this questions doesn't really belong here.

Hi, welcome..

Yes. that's the short answer. yes, you can get a 3D printer, and print off a complete rocket. There are a few files out there, as well as some rocketry components.

Now, having said that, it isn't as robust as you might expect. The plastic is typically a plant based plastic: PLA. You can get other plastics (such as ABS) but they are a little more finicky to get printing right. And there's the additional cost & such. PLA is what everyone typically starts out with.

Depending, there will be some assembly; be it parts that needs to be assembled due to the limitations of the printer (like printing a long tube..) So, some assembly of plastic parts, or of wood & paper, there is some similarities.

Now, the PLA plastic is hard to glue. The print may take hours (I mean a half or whole day, just printing parts) and the parts will have a texture to them; don't expect smooth & shiny parts!) And, as you mentioned, will weigh a bit more than their traditional counterparts. The parts aren't any stronger than the traditional wood or paper

The wood & cardboard models can be stronger than you may think.. Many of us have pushed wood & paper with some pretty big motors.

I bet I could build a traditional Estes Alpha 3 in about the same time (or less!) that it takes to print out the parts / print out the model of an Alpha 3..

I know you mentioned plastic, 3d printing, and acrylic -- one thing you might not be aware of is that there are vendors of thin-wall filament-reinforced plastic ( commonly called fiberglass ) which should fit your sturdiness requirement while still being in the low-to-mid power ranges.

I do a lot of print with ABS, ASA, and PETG that has carbon fiber as an additive. The stuff is darn tough.

Back