Competition Streamer question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would this logic also apply to banning Walston or Busy Bee retrieval systems, since they require ham radio license to operate, and therefore would not be legal for everyone on the field to use? Might also need to ban use of automobiles to drive after long runners, since those aren't legal for everyone either, though it does seem like having access to a car is a given for flying these days...

I think there are also some fairly common ignitors that might now need to be banned as well, though I'm not sure if the dust has settled yet on that issue. I know I recently tried to pick up some First Fires at a launch and the dealer said he either needed my LEUP (which I don't have) or I had to fire them all at that launch.

--Chan Stevens

Let's take this to a higher ridiculous level. I wanna see a range duty for checking all FRS/GMRS radios, to make sure they are not broadcasting on GMRS without a license. And let's getting totally stupid here. We need to ban the NAR from giving out those three $800 travel vouchers to first time B divisioners. Thats not fair to the other B divisioners who might not be able to afford to come.

I'm not serious, but good god, this kinda crap is the most ridiculous stuff I've heard in years.

chad

>>>with the concern about loose BP or pyrodex powders being used on our competition ranges, without proper permitting. As I've mentioned before I haven't seen a single muzzleloader or BP pistol on any Model rocket range I've ever attended. <<<

And I'll say it again, you've never been to a LC meet now have you. Should I send you photos??

>>>We don't allow alcohol or fireworks or evern fuses on the field either, why should controlled substances be any different? <<<

Who is "we"? Please reference some written rule (not just pertaining to ONE flying site) about the alcohol restriction on the field, or the fireworks on the field, or fuses on the field. Where can I find this info? I need to be able to find this info in some manual....oh wait, it's like a "Code Red" right? You gonna tell me where the mess hall is too? :)

chad

Just want to say hello and welcome to Chad Ring. My only connection to NARcomp is through Sport Rocketry and my fav issue is always the one that covers what went down at NARAM. Been reading about Chad and his fellow Launch Crue members for years, very competitive club.:)

Just want to say hello and welcome to Chad Ring. My only connection to NARcomp is through Sport Rocketry and my fav issue is always the one that covers what went down at NARAM. Been reading about Chad and his fellow Launch Crue members for years, very competitive club.:)

Hi Jay,

Thanks for the kudos. Gonna make it to NARAM this year?

Yeah, we've been doing a fair share of competition now for almost 2 decades. We do other aspects as well like high power, RC rocket gliders, lots of sport flying and several kids outreach stuff each year like scout build sessions and 4-H workshops. Years ago we got a good amount of local kids into flying rockets and competition as well. In the past 5 years or so it seems like pulling teeth to get kids involvled. We might get them to come out to fly once, but after that, it seems they've moved onto something else. I hope other NAR section are having better luck at keeping these newbies interest, because we're all getting older, and there's gotta be new blood or we'll end up like the AMA free flight guys....no one hardly under 70 does that hobby....:(

chad

Won't be making it this year Chad.:( I don't want to hijack this thread but, I was a little disappointed with the lack of pics/writeup/coverage of your science fiction/future scale ARES V in the NARAM-48 Sport Rocketry, especially since it took first in C division. I'm a huge scale fan, any pics?

Won't be making it this year Chad.:( I don't want to hijack this thread but, I was a little disappointed with the lack of pics/writeup/coverage of your science fiction/future scale ARES V in the NARAM-48 Sport Rocketry, especially since it took first in C division. I'm a huge scale fan, any pics?

Chris Taylor has some great shots here:

https://www.nerys.com/naramlive06/naramlive/07thursday/scale2.html

Chris NEVER gets the true credit he deserves for all the photo shooting and daily results, etc. he does at NARAM. Thank you Chris. I appreciate and enjoy it, and many of my club members do as well, because they couldn't make it that year, but get to feel a little like they are there thru the daily info and photos.

As far as my model....I'll admit it. I wasn't looking forward to FFSC that year. But once I got working on the Ares V, I really enjoyed building that model, and it turned out better than I thought it might. I remember starting to work on all those color bands on the SRB's around 1am one night, and working thru to about 8am to finish it. Alot of remove and redo, repeat, take a 10 minute break so I didn't throw the thing across the room from frustration etc... :) The first flight crashed (I almost hit Tom Lyon) due to not all the motors lighting, but the second worked great for me.

chad

Beautiful job Chad! Wow! Seven motors! Great, clean looking build, nice sharp paint! Fantastic!:cool:

Beautiful job Chad! Wow! Seven motors! Great, clean looking build, nice sharp paint! Fantastic!:cool:

Thanks Jay, I appreciate it. It had its minor flaws, there was a slight orange peel on the upper ET and if you notice, the interstage corrugations aren't vertical. I simply used a piece of corrugated plastic, and when cut and wrapped, it won't work. The only way to do it right is to indivually lay each stringer one at a time and either do that every time you build that model, or make a mold to cast it after the first one is made up. But since FFSC is judged under SPSC rules, it works out ok to do it that way...not to mention I had all the other events to build as well!

chad

Back