Competition Streamer question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just thought I'd give an update of our contest - We did fly the 1/8A Streamer Duration event but I didn't try anything too unconventional. I built two models - a taper paper made from 24# computer paper going up to a 13mm Apogee vac form nose (I was going to use vellum, but I just couldn't get it to roll right) and a 10.5mm straight 3FN with a boat tail. I didn't get the best times because I had trouble with the streamer not wanting to unroll all the way both times, but I did get a deploy, and the combined score was good enough to get me second in the event. Most of the members were glad it was over (most of them hated it), but I thought it was a fun and different event.

BTW - I got my first ever first place finish there in B Egg Loft Duration using a Gassaway Two Minute Egg design. Didn't quite get the two minutes out of it - only 1 minute 40 seconds, but still a respectable time for a newby like myself! :D

Congrats on the wins Greg! nice going!
If you don't mind can you tell me why most of the other folks flying 1/8A SD "Hated it"? Was it because they were facing a new challenge or just because it was micro motored?

Congrats on the wins Greg! nice going!
If you don't mind can you tell me why most of the other folks flying 1/8A SD "Hated it"? Was it because they were facing a new challenge or just because it was micro motored?

I wish I knew. I think it might be a bit of both. One of the competitors was complaining that both his models didn't completely spit out its streamer - it hung at the top of the body tube. This was chalked up to the "anemic" ejection charge. Another fellow was so concerned about this that he added a bit of black powder to his motors to "beef up" the ejection. Mind you, I didn't have any trouble getting the laundry out, so I'm not sure what they were doing to get such dismal results.

Of course, as I said before, I've gotten a bit of a reputation in the club for flying the weirder stuff, so making my models out of a single layer of 24# computer paper was nothing new to me. The nearly universal comment after the contest was over was "Thank God that one's over and we don't have to fly 1/8A again!" And they were really not happy with my suggestion that I wanted to try 1/8A BG next! ;)

For sure!
Try to get them to include at least one 1/8A event at your contests or at very least every other meet:)
I didn't attend our clubs planning meeting last year and we only had two 1/8A events included in our entire year. I'm hoping to do better for next year;) Not that I fly most contest anymore anyway, but I always try to fly the events when they include an 1/8A event.
Suggest 1/8A HD; It's gotta be the KEWLest of the 1/8A events. 1/8A PD is also a trip.

Also remind your folks 1/8A events are an excellent way to get new folks started. doesn't take all that much time or money investment and they less stressful then most of the other motor classes. It's also something new to "test" those darn BTC's who always win LOL!!!!

Might I suggest trying hi rag content tracing vellum rather then 24lb computer paper. Not only is it considerably stronger while being lighter, it takes the heat of ejection better, which can extend the useful life of the model beyond 6 flights;)

I found a couple neat color vellums at micheals that allowed for printing the patterns as well as nar numbers and such without having to used magic markers or printer ink to color the paper, making them lighter yet:) super for SD, PD and Altitude models.
Hope this helps.

Edit: One more thing! Adding bp to the motor is a volation of the pink book rules. Anyone who did should have been DQ'ed and reported.

Attachments

• MM 216a4-sm_a-f Taper&Doubletaper PD's_8-30-04.jpg
    MM 216a4-sm_a-f Taper&Doubletaper PD's_8-30-04.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 0
I wish I knew. I think it might be a bit of both. One of the competitors was complaining that both his models didn't completely spit out its streamer - it hung at the top of the body tube. This was chalked up to the "anemic" ejection charge. Another fellow was so concerned about this that he added a bit of black powder to his motors to "beef up" the ejection. Mind you, I didn't have any trouble getting the laundry out, so I'm not sure what they were doing to get such dismal results.

Of course, as I said before, I've gotten a bit of a reputation in the club for flying the weirder stuff, so making my models out of a single layer of 24# computer paper was nothing new to me. The nearly universal comment after the contest was over was "Thank God that one's over and we don't have to fly 1/8A again!" And they were really not happy with my suggestion that I wanted to try 1/8A BG next! ;)

1/8A SD was merely an annoying distraction from the main event for me which was D BG. Congrats on beating Chad in eggloft!

1/8A BG?? I only have one thing to say about that: Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rocketbiker

Well done, Greg!

Are you going to keep the egg as a trophy? :D

For sure!
Try to get them to include at least one 1/8A event at your contests or at very least every other meet:)
I didn't attend our clubs planning meeting last year and we only had two 1/8A events included in our entire year. I'm hoping to do better for next year;) Not that I fly most contest anymore anyway, but I always try to fly the events when they include an 1/8A event.
Suggest 1/8A HD; It's gotta be the KEWLest of the 1/8A events. 1/8A PD is also a trip.

Also remind your folks 1/8A events are an excellent way to get new folks started. doesn't take all that much time or money investment and they less stressful then most of the other motor classes. It's also something new to "test" those darn BTC's who always win LOL!!!!

Might I suggest trying hi rag content tracing vellum rather then 24lb computer paper. Not only is it considerably stronger while being lighter, it takes the heat of ejection better, which can extend the useful life of the model beyond 6 flights;)

I found a couple neat color vellums at micheals that allowed for printing the patterns as well as nar numbers and such without having to used magic markers or printer ink to color the paper, making them lighter yet:) super for SD, PD and Altitude models.
Hope this helps.

Edit: One more thing! Adding bp to the motor is a volation of the pink book rules. Anyone who did should have been DQ'ed and reported.

First, congrats to Greg for a good egg showing. Anyone who steals points from Chad is OK in my book ;).

As for hatred of 1/8A SD, I've been mixing in 3-4 events like this in our contest schedule myself, and while I won't go so far as to describe the reception as hatred, I'd say it's at least gruding tolerance at best. Common points of resistance I've heard:

1) Motors are hard to come find (unless you buy online)
2) Requires special/non-standard ground support. Tiny rods, funky standoffs/deflectors, etc.
3) Ignitors are poopy compared to Estes solars--may even require crackin open the plastic case and reworking on your own.
4) Some techniques/materials are a littel tricky to downscale. Our club held 1/8A BG, for instance, and a few guys were scratching their heads over pod design. I built a Nanite. When they say "but an RG is not competitive versus a BG, since you have to carry the motor/tube", I laugh and ask them how much their pod weighs versus that massive MMX motor casing. It's a completely different mindset...

I'm not saying any/all of these aren't easilly overcome, just that for most LPR flyers, the transition to MMX is almost as tricky as transition to HPR--you need to build differently, use different gear, and expect different performance/results. Some old dogs are more open to new tricks than others.

In the end, competition is most fun when you can't just reach box full 'o models and fly, but instead are faced with something new/different that challenges you and makes you learn something. From what I read in this thread, Greg tried at least a couple new/different things, so on that front he already "won". The fact that he also took first on B-ELD is icing on the cake.

We don't add it to the motor, we add it to the model, you know sort of like the high power guys do to get their chutes out?

Last I heard that was NARA legal.

Rocketbiker

We don't add it to the motor, we add it to the model, you know sort of like the high power guys do to get their chutes out?

Last I heard that was NARA legal.

Rocketbiker

Oh Good Grief: That is NO more "legal" then adding a bit of BP to your piston launcher, If you get caught it's a DQ and cause for ejection from the contest....In short it's Cheating! In competition anything added to the motor or ejection charge is a violation plain and simple.... but then again Launch Crew has a well known reptutation for doing stuff like this thats decades old. HPR guys are not in competition they are sport flying, what they do has NO bearing whatsoever during a competition event.
Last you heard from who...Chad Ring? If you don't have a copy of the pink book, it's on-line, its a good read ya might want to check it out.

Now, why would that be considered cheating?

- It does not add any impulse to the motor
- Assuing the rocket is already at (or beyond) optimum weight, it does not help the rocket get one inch higher (and the added weight might just cause a lower altitude)
- The point could be made that using a small BP deployment charge is not "adding" anything at all to the motor; rather, the motor's ejection charge is simply initiating an external ejection charge, which would be the same type of non-motor ejection charge as used in many other NAR-approved rocket designs.
- If it is otherwise considered safe for deploying recovery systems in sport fliers, why would it suddenly become dangerous for competition rockets?
- If the NAR has already given their safety approval for this technique (and even a local club should have secured this, in official form, before allowing even limited use), why would it suddenly become dis-allowed?

We need to hear from the NAR safety guys. We need to see a well thought-out answer to this issue. Passionate opinions don't help answer the question.

How about it, NARprez?

It's not the call of the NAR prez. It's the call of the competition chairman Tom Lyon. He's not a forum troller, so you'd have to email him at [email protected].

The relevant rule is:

4.5 Alterations
A model rocket motor shall not be altered in any manner that changes its dimensions and/or its performance characteristics. No material shall be affixed to the motor in a permanent fashion (e.g., via glues or epoxies).

The addition of black powder, as described, would not in MY OPINION be considered a violation of 4.5, though one could potentially argue it alters the performance characteristics by increasing the ejection force and enabling larger recovery devices to be deployed. Black powder has consistently been approved in the use of cluster spiders, despite the fact that that practice adds a slight amount of impulse.

If possible, could we stick to the topic and leave the allegations of cheating/poor sportsmanship outside? I've flown with these guys several times, and seen nothing but excellent sportsmanship, and I think direct experience trumps rumors.

It's not the call of the NAR prez. It's the call of the competition chairman Tom Lyon. He's not a forum troller, so you'd have to email him at [email protected].

The relevant rule is:

4.5 Alterations
A model rocket motor shall not be altered in any manner that changes its dimensions and/or its performance characteristics. No material shall be affixed to the motor in a permanent fashion (e.g., via glues or epoxies).

The addition of black powder, as described, would not in MY OPINION be considered a violation of 4.5, though one could potentially argue it alters the performance characteristics by increasing the ejection force and enabling larger recovery devices to be deployed. Black powder has consistently been approved in the use of cluster spiders, despite the fact that that practice adds a slight amount of impulse.

Precisely Chan!
Saved me some typing :)

Oh Good Grief:

<snip>

If you don't have a copy of the pink book, it's on-line, its a good read ya might want to check it out.

Oh Good Grief yourself. Please quote the applicable section of the Pink book that prohibits this practice. If 1/8A whatever is run at a NARAM someday, I can guarantee this will be done.

Rocketbiker

Already been quoted:

But it doesn't take more than half a brain to understand you can't alter the output of any part of the motor during competition. is their No sense of fairplay in the midwest?

Micro motors and Models have already been flown at Naram's without adding bp. If I catch or suspect anyone doing so, you can count on being challanged directly and/or be ejected.

If you can't deploy your recovery system with the ejection gas provided by the motor manufacture, that's your problem.

Lots of NAR sections have been flying competition Micro Models in club and regional events for more than 4 year now. You folks are the first i've heard of needing help to deploy chutes and streamers.
Personally have no trouble successfully deploying 24" chutes and 5" and 6" x 60" streamers using only the manufacturers supplied ejection charge. I've have seen any number of 30" chutes used tho they haven't fully blossom under the minimal mass of the model bodies.

One more "Fairness sidenote to consider:
Not everyone at NAR competitions has or wants a LEUP to be carring loose BP, so that's yet another reason to understand it's NOT in keeping with the spirit of a fair level playing field. Adding loose BP in anyway, shape or form is not in keeping with the spirit of good sportsmanship.

It is not at all "clear" that a LEUP would be required for BP ejection charges.

Use of BP is exempt from regulation if it is provided with a motor for use as an ejection charge, which is exactly what we are talking about here. There is no restriction in the wording of the statutes that requires the BP to be used only in the motor it was packaged with; the law does not include any restrictions about using it as an ejection charge with any other motor. So one possible means of legally accomplishing this would be to simply use some left-over BP from another motor. No rules broken, no laws broken.

Use of BP is exempt from regulation if it is made by the user, for use only by the user, and not for sale or transfer to any other users. There is no legal reason (other than non-optimum performance of the BP) that a user cannot mix, on site, a small quantity of A, B, and C, to create his own BP ejection charge. So another possible means of legally accomplishing this would be to simply mix a fraction of a gram of BP, as needed, for the ejection charge. No rules broken, no laws broken.

Use of BP as an ejection charge external to the motor is already allowed under NAR rules. Several folks right here on this forum have already posted recommendations to use electronic systems to trigger such charges in low-power model rockets. What's the difference in using a pyrotechnic ignition of the external ejection charge? (I can find no restriction on how the ejection charge is ignited.) So you would simply install the BP, possibly wrapped in a small ball of thin tissue, in a coupler-reinforced bay immediately in front of the thrust ring. The external BP is outside the motor--no motor mods. The ejection charge inside the motor simply functions as a pyrotechnic ignition mechanism for the external ejection charge. No rules broken, no laws broken.

Why are we even fussing about not allowing this?

Very Good points Powder:
I'll have to rethink my objection. However I'm still pretty sure carring a can of bp to the field requires a LEUP.

I've already posted an e-mail to Tom Lyon about this issue. I'll report whatever response I recieve.

I'm still pretty sure carring a can of bp to the field requires a LEUP.
And I'm pretty sure you are correct. If you have bulk BP in your possession (whether you purchased it, or it was given to you) and you are not using it in a blackpowder firearm, I read the fed's rules to say that you need a LEUP. This is the case (legally speaking) whether you are toting a 50 lb can or one grain (0.000143 lbs). (No, this policy makes absolutely no sense to me either, but hey, it came from our elected geniuses in D.C. Maybe you could reach across the street and slap some sense into their heads? )

The downside of mixing your own, as you need it, is that you would end up with "green" BP. That stuff performs miserably compared to factory-made (finely milled) BP in terms of speed of combustion and quantity of gas produced. For use as an ejection charge, you might as well not bother.

My thoughts on use of BP:

As for allowing its use as an ejection charge enhancer:

I don't think that is altering the "performance" characteristics of a model rocket motor; ejection charge performance or lack thereof isn't a measured criteria on model rocket motors.

I suppose if I looked hard enough I might be able to find a violation in either the NARMRSC or NFPA 1122, but I think its something the CB Chairman should probably rule on.

Remem that NARMRSC and NFPA 1122 take precedence over NAR Pink Book.

I think allowing the use of anything other than a simple Estes/Quest igniter would violate the pink book rule of a launcher not being able to impart any additional force to a model rocket.

And I base that ban on the following:

5.5 Momentum
A launcher must not impart to the model any velocity or change of momentum except that caused by the model rocket motor(s) contained in the model.

When you use anything that produces gases in a confined space, such as a piston, you are creating and adding momentum and its being transferred to the model. Both homemade igniters in general and any combustable powder that generates gas should be banned, if using a piston launcher.

If the USA FAI guys want to use BP with their launchers in FAI competition then thats okay with me, ; as for its use in NAR competition, I think it should be completely banned.

I would also ban the use of BP "igniters", spiders or crimson powder or orange powder or for that matter any powder or custom igniter that produces gases, in which altitude is a component of an event., when used with a piston launcher ONLY.

Unless somebody could come up with some way to control and manage its use among contestants.

and perhaps there is a way to manage this:

9.5 Safety Check
Each entry shall pass a safety inspection given by the Safety Check Officer before each flight to ascertain that it meets the standards of this Sporting Code, and that it will be reasonably safe in its operation, in accordance with Rule 5.3.

This inspection shall include any launching device and auxiliary equipment provided by the contestant to assist the launch.

Perhaps Safety Check should start handing out Estes/Quest igniters just prior to launch?

The ONLY LEGAL personal use for BP is for antique firearms. If you are lying about its intended use when purchasing it, and diverting some it for use in rocketry related activities, then you are violating federal law.

YMMV

terry dean

I don't think that is altering the "performance" characteristics of a model rocket motor; ejection charge performance or lack thereof isn't a measured criteria on model rocket motors.

For what it's worth, I have a thought here. (About time, no?) I'll first admit that I have not yet been a competitor in an NAR event. But I had a situation in which this could have been pertinent.

I recently launched a pretty darn small rocket (an Estes Hi-Flyer) for NARTREK Bronze purposes, and I had loaded a chute in it to get the 60 second PD requirement done. The chute seemed to be packed badly - it was pretty tight, and the voice in the back of my head told me to reconsider what I was about to do, but I launched it anyway. Sure enough, the chute didn't deploy, and the predictable result, well, resulted.

Now, if I had added BP - all applicable laws aside - I'd argue that it would have materially altered the ability of the motor to eject the parachute.

By extension, what would prevent someone from loading additional BP into some very thin-airframed rocket, like a paper taper or the like, with an obscenely large chute with little chance to deploy under normal circumstances, for a PD event with the intention of compromising or bursting the airframe to let the chute out? (Yes, I know, the RSO or inspector would be the last person to serve as the safeguard for this, but the possibility does exist.) Again, I plead a little bit of ignorance about the rules.

Am I nuts, naive, or hasn't this possibilty occurred to anyone else?

I think allowing the use of anything other than a simple Estes/Quest igniter would violate the pink book rule of a launcher not being able to impart any additional force to a model rocket.

And I base that ban on the following:

5.5 Momentum
A launcher must not impart to the model any velocity or change of momentum except that caused by the model rocket motor(s) contained in the model.

When you use anything that produces gases in a confined space, such as a piston, you are creating and adding momentum and its being transferred to the model. Both homemade igniters in general and any combustable powder that generates gas should be banned, if using a piston launcher.

Shockie--OK, let's conduct a little experiment to verify that momentum is, in fact, imparted by the "launcher" and not by the motor. Insert a model with a dead/used motor onto a piston and light an Estes igniter. Better buy an expensive super-fast video camera to capture that instant burst of momentum and velocity you'll see as the rocket goes soaring skyward. If you prepped everything right, the rocket didn't budge, because proper use of a piston also includes friction fitting the motor into the piston tube. My high school physics would suggest that the friction imparted easily trumps the pent-up energy of the igniter gas, as is evidenced by the fact that the rocket didn't move. The NET effect of the launcher, in this case, is negative.

Now replace the dead motor with a good motor. Repeat experiment. Notice slight change in performance--this time the rocket shoots away. To what do we attribute the change in performance--a "hot" igniter or the addition of a motor? It's the MOTOR that enables the piston to transfer energy to the rocket.

If you want to limit or ban them, by the way, why arbitrarily pick on just altitude events? Pistons offer a performance advantage in practically every event, including duration and the various scale/PMC events.

Dave--As for BP, as has been stated, ejection charge is not a performance characteristic of the motor. Otherwise, use of any electronic-based ejections would be banned. Now try applying some of this angst to building and flying an actual competition model--MMRR '08 is but a week away, and I can even fly your model proxy for you if you don't want to drive up there.

--Chan Stevens

Shockie--OK, let's conduct a little experiment to verify that momentum is, in fact, imparted by the "launcher" and not by the motor. Insert a model with a dead/used motor onto a piston and light an Estes igniter. Better buy an expensive super-fast video camera to capture that instant burst of momentum and velocity you'll see as the rocket goes soaring skyward. If you prepped everything right, the rocket didn't budge, because proper use of a piston also includes friction fitting the motor into the piston tube. My high school physics would suggest that the friction imparted easily trumps the pent-up energy of the igniter gas, as is evidenced by the fact that the rocket didn't move. The NET effect of the launcher, in this case, is negative.

Now replace the dead motor with a good motor. Repeat experiment. Notice slight change in performance--this time the rocket shoots away. To what do we attribute the change in performance--a "hot" igniter or the addition of a motor? It's the MOTOR that enables the piston to transfer energy to the rocket.

If you want to limit or ban them, by the way, why arbitrarily pick on just altitude events? Pistons offer a performance advantage in practically every event, including duration and the various scale/PMC events.

--Chan Stevens

Chan:

Talking about engines:

Engines are not part of the "launcher", therefore if all you do is use a piston with an engine and a typical igniter then there is not momentum being added to the model by the launcher; its all coming from the engine itself(plus a minute amount from the igniter)

On the other hand, if you place an "additive" gaseous producing substance, whether it be BP, a custom igniter made from BP, a custom igniter using pyrogen, or any other gas producing powder in the piston launcher itself, then it becomes part of the "launcher" and confined gases under pressure will produce additional momentum and impart it to the model.

This is basic gas dynamics and physics. Did you see my earlier post on BP gas generation? Did you see the formula?

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=45000&highlight=BP+gas+generation

On my other post I needed to make 2 clarifications:

1. A spider should be allowed to be used in NAR competition, as it is not typically enclosed, therefore it will not impart any additional momentum to the model.

1a. A "single-shot" type or form of "spider" built into the piston head using a custom igniter or BP should be banned from NAR competition based on 5.5

Igniters and Pistons

https://www.nakka-rocketry.net/igniter.html

Chan, what I said was that competitors would be limited to typical commercial igniter's like Estes/Quest; If you were to repeat your igniter experiment with some custom igniters, I'm sure that you would notice some movement in the piston that exceeded the friction.

And I know that if you placed as little as 0.1 g of BP or any other combustable powder in a piston you would see movement; friction normally in a well designed piston is minimal if designed correctly.

I used a piston head that had been wet sanded from 320 to 1000 grit sandpaper and it had a mirror smooth finish to it, used piston tubes that had been impregnated with epoxy resin while curing on an internal teflon rod to get a uniform internal wall.

Before use I either used a spray graphite or a spray teflon: the result was near frictionless surface, with the spray graphite/teflon acting as a sealing O ring between the piston tube wall and the piston head itself. It literally floats through the piston tube.

Chan, I also said they would be banned in those events where ALTITUDE plays a role in that specific competition event. I didn't say, just altitude events.

2. I had forgotten that the NAR will now start to allow some FAI competition events in NAR competition; I support this, so I will allow pistons with BP,etc for use in these competitions only. My reasoning here is that the NAR FAI competition events are designed to give NAR people exposure to and practice in real time FAI events; therefore thye use of BP,etc in pistons is appropriate as the rest of the world allows it .

The fact that the FAI sporting Code has the same momentum code as the pink book, but allows it, just goes to show me that in the rest of the world, at least in the world of FAI competition, basic gas dynamics and physics do not apply.

terry dean

Oh Good Grief: but then again Launch Crew has a well known reptutation for doing stuff like this thats decades old. HPR guys are not in competition they are sport flying, what they do has NO bearing whatsoever during a competition event.
Last you heard from who...Chad Ring? If you don't have a copy of the pink book, it's on-line, its a good read ya might want to check it out.

First, it's Launch Crue, get it right if you're gonna slander it. I CHALLENGE YOU to bring any facts to this 'whole cheating thing' you claim. As Chan and others have said who have ACTUALLY ATTENDED ONE OF OUR MEETS, they are competitve meets, and run 100% by the book. Got it? Period. Nothing more, nothing less. Why don't you come to one and find out?

Maybe you should say 'thank you' to our club for hosting 65 regional meets and two national meets. We have provided a place to compete and lanunch, and have helped get more folks into competition...and in years past, MANY of those were A and B divisioners. How many A and B's have you encouraged to try and get involved in NARcomp?

I've emailed you privately, but you don't have the guts to respond to that; I understand you even more now. I have no interest in this turning into a pissing match; I know the facts, you don't. Please don't disrespect me or my club for things that are totally bogus and you can't back up.

Thank you.

Chad Ring

I've already posted an e-mail to Tom Lyon about this issue. I'll report whatever response I recieve.

Well, since Mr. McCoy has chosen not to post a response from Tom Lyon on this (could it be because he got shot down?), I'll do it for him. No motor modifications were made at this or any other contest our club has hosted. And the CB Chair has agreed that nothing was done illegally, because no motors were modified in any way. Their dimension, shape, and performance of motor as tested was used correctly. A separate onboard ejection charge is no different if it is ignited by the motors charge (i.e., the motor is DONE with it's performance at that exact point), or if it is ignited via ematch thru an onboard timer/altimeter. RSO technically should approve any 'release mechanisms' like these or other such instances.

Thanks for you concern. :)

chad

Well, since Mr. McCoy has chosen not to post a response from Tom Lyon on this (could it be because he got shot down?), I'll do it for him. No motor modifications were made at this or any other contest our club has hosted. And the CB Chair has agreed that nothing was done illegally, because no motors were modified in any way. Their dimension, shape, and performance of motor as tested was used correctly. A separate onboard ejection charge is no different if it is ignited by the motors charge (i.e., the motor is DONE with it's performance at that exact point), or if it is ignited via ematch thru an onboard timer/altimeter. RSO technically should approve any 'release mechanisms' like these or other such instances.

Thanks for you concern. :)

chad

Mr. Ring:
Hadn't been back to this thread as I was waiting to hear from Mr Lyon:
I did in fact get a response mid last week and he(Tom Lyon) did indeed agree there is no "technical" modification by adding extra bp to the model/motor combination. While I still don't agree with this entirely, I must stand by his ruling.
He also agrees with my assertion; that the USE of loose BP on any NAR range REQUIRES anyone doing so to have a valid LEUP at the time of the flight.
Since that is the case: As a fairness issue, the practice shouldn't be allowed at all: Many competitiors at NAR competitions do not want or have LEUP'S, if its not legal for everyone on the field it shouldn't be allowed for anyone.
Tom has ask that I write an RCP on this matter. I'm now considering the wording for such a change, as well as additional change request(s), looking at the addition of BP for this purpose and/or at least limits on the amounts added.

Personally My feeling is: if one can't get the laundry out of a competition model with the ejection charge provided by the manufacturer, you've got bigger insight problems, that shouldn't allow such a person to handle let alone use explosives!

Perhaps the issue would be more easily solved by requiring auxiliary ejection systems require electronic ignition only. which should close the loophole used to do this in the first place.

As for the many other well established bending of the rules, You and I both know exactly what your club is infamous for... and how the NAR and most other sections have, shall we say worked around those attempts.
I've seen no Private e-mails from you or I'd have answered. We'll see who has the guts next time we meet, (Saturday Naram-50 most likely) I'll be quite happy to repeat what most of us non-BTC's consider unsportsmanlike conduct...ie trying to cheat. You can do with it whatever you think you're man enough to try.....I'll look forward to it.

Mr. Ring:
Hadn't been back to this thread as I was waiting to hear from Mr Lyon:
I did in fact get a response mid last week and he(Tom Lyon) did indeed agree there is no "technical" modification by adding extra bp to the model/motor combination. While I still don't agree with this entirely, I must stand by his ruling.
He also agrees with my assertion; that the USE of loose BP on any NAR range REQUIRES anyone doing so to have a valid LEUP at the time of the flight.
Since that is the case: As a fairness issue, the practice shouldn't be allowed at all: Many competitiors at NAR competitions do not want or have LEUP'S, if its not legal for everyone on the field it shouldn't be allowed for anyone.
Tom has ask that I write an RCP on this matter. I'm now considering the wording for such a change, as well as additional change request(s), looking at the addition of BP for this purpose and/or at least limits on the amounts added.

Personally My feeling is: if one can't get the laundry out of a competition model with the ejection charge provided by the manufacturer, you've got bigger insight problems, that shouldn't allow such a person to handle let alone use explosives!

Perhaps the issue would be more easily solved by requiring auxiliary ejection systems require electronic ignition only. which should close the loophole used to do this in the first place.

As for the many other well established bending of the rules, You and I both know exactly what your club is infamous for... and how the NAR and most other sections have, shall we say worked around those attempts.
I've seen no Private e-mails from you or I'd have answered. We'll see who has the guts next time we meet, (Saturday Naram-50 most likely) I'll be quite happy to repeat what most of us non-BTC's consider unsportsmanlike conduct...ie trying to cheat. You can do with it whatever you think you're man enough to try.....I'll look forward to it.

So now we have NAR contest chair weighing in on BATFE regulatory issues? That's way beyond the scope of USMRSC/pink book. Good luck with that RCP, especially if you don't want to ban all composite reloads in the process, since they have loose black powder that must be manually transferred to the case. I sure hope I'm not breaking any laws by flying hobby motor RMS's without LEUP...

I'm less worried about the dangers of loose powder on the range than the volatile/inflammatory road this thread is heading down. How 'bout everyone leave the trash talk at the door, or take personal issues offline? Personal slander, accusations of cheating, etc. don't belong here, and none of this is worth threatening bodily harm over, for Pete's sake.

Would this logic also apply to banning Walston or Busy Bee retrieval systems, since they require ham radio license to operate, and therefore would not be legal for everyone on the field to use? Might also need to ban use of automobiles to drive after long runners, since those aren't legal for everyone either, though it does seem like having access to a car is a given for flying these days...

I think there are also some fairly common ignitors that might now need to be banned as well, though I'm not sure if the dust has settled yet on that issue. I know I recently tried to pick up some First Fires at a launch and the dealer said he either needed my LEUP (which I don't have) or I had to fire them all at that launch.

--Chan Stevens

So now we have NAR contest chair weighing in on BATFE regulatory issues? That's way beyond the scope of USMRSC/pink book. Good luck with that RCP, especially if you don't want to ban all composite reloads in the process, since they have loose black powder that must be manually transferred to the case. I sure hope I'm not breaking any laws by flying hobby motor RMS's without LEUP...

I'm less worried about the dangers of loose powder on the range than the volatile/inflammatory road this thread is heading down. How 'bout everyone leave the trash talk at the door, or take personal issues offline? Personal slander, accusations of cheating, etc. don't belong here, and none of this is worth threatening bodily harm over, for Pete's sake.

Chan:
Since I don't fly APCP unless absolutely forced, I don't know that much about RMS Reloads; Aren't the loose bp charges premeasured and included with RMS reload packs as part of the kit? If so they can't be really considered as Loose BP, Unless of coarse one is intentionally MISUSING the product. Either way that's sitll a far cry from dumping loose BP into a model body to increase ejection pressure.....It's just not the issue, further I can't see where RMS reloads would come into play much outside a couple very limited events like Scale, RCRG and maybe some PMC's, talk about self penalizing. RMS motors is one of the issues mentioned but has little to do with the concern about loose BP or pyrodex powders being used on our competition ranges, without proper permitting. As I've mentioned before I haven't seen a single muzzleloader or BP pistol on any Model rocket range I've ever attended.
We don't allow alcohol or fireworks or evern fuses on the field either, why should controlled substances be any different?
Sport flyers and HPR flyers have the proper paperwork, and are welcome do use these items to those ends. Loose BP just isn't part of the competative range, Except to derive an unfair covert advantage.
BP use laws are pretty darn clear. I can't for the life of me see how some feel they can violate these rules...just cause they "think" they have the right. If We're supposed to be semi self-regulating then HOW the heck can anyone precieve this type of abuse as being OK.

I'm all ears if folks have possible input on writing this RCP.

This.

>>> I did in fact get a response mid last week and he(Tom Lyon) did indeed agree there is no "technical" modification by adding extra bp to the model/motor combination. While I still don't agree with this entirely, I must stand by his ruling. <<<

Bingo. I was right, you were wrong. Yeah, you deserve this comment because of your slander of me and my club. Say it again, "we were right, you were wrong."

>>> He also agrees with my assertion; that the USE of loose BP on any NAR range REQUIRES anyone doing so to have a valid LEUP at the time of the flight. <<<

NOT true. I will agree with this if it's not selectively enforced. Admit it, you want to ban ALL reloadable motors. Period. That powder is not 'packed' it is loose. There is also a second way to possess it.

>>>Since that is the case: As a fairness issue, the practice shouldn't be allowed at all: Many competitiors at NAR competitions do not want or have LEUP'S, if its not legal for everyone on the field it shouldn't be allowed for anyone. <<<

Ok, I want to see YOU at NARAM-50 making sure all those that have FRS/GMRS radios that are running on the GMRS bad to have licenses. I wanna see it.

>>> Tom has ask that I write an RCP on this matter. I'm now considering the wording for such a change, as well as additional change request(s), looking at the addition of BP for this purpose and/or at least limits on the amounts added. <<<

Aren't you also the guy that want to take high power motors away from evenyone? Let's have a long talk at NARAM on what I think of people who force their opinions on others....

>>>Personally My feeling is: if one can't get the laundry out of a competition model with the ejection charge provided by the manufacturer, you've got bigger insight problems, that shouldn't allow such a person to handle let alone use explosives! <<<

Agin with getting rid of high power motors...

>>> As for the many other well established bending of the rules, You and I both know exactly what your club is infamous for... and how the NAR and most other sections have, shall we say worked around those attempts. <<<

Please define what those are.

And on the infamous stuff....well, since you brought it up, I guess I'll lay out the facts. I know where this came from. It started as a unbased rumor in July 1993. And who's to blame....one person in particular...Bob Alway. Yup, I like Bob, but in essence it's it his doing that started this crap. He was Midwest Chair that year, and didn't do anything to send in results from the entire year until about two weeks before NARAM. So when LC went from zero to 1st on the section points list (about 2 weeks prior to NARAM), there were some that cried foul, said we held 'basement regionals', etc. Dave Woebkenberg was the CD for all four of our regionals, and I GUARANTEE ALL results were sent to Bob within the two week period after the contest. GUARANTEED. Why Bob didn't send them in, I don't know, but that's not our club's fault. There were several in NOVAAR specifically that made snide comments towards us about this, one in particular I remember was Ken Brown. Again, he wasn't aware what happened. NOVAAR was upset, as they were in the running for a championship with us. Seemed that instance got us dubbed as the infamous LC. Oh well, anyone that knows us knows better, and anyone that's been out to one of our 66 regionals knows all too well how things are ran and done. Go ahead, ask anyone of them. Need a list of folks to contact; I'll provide you with one...

>>>I've seen no Private e-mails from you or I'd have answered. We'll see who has the guts next time we meet, (Saturday Naram-50 most likely) I'll be quite happy to repeat what most of us non-BTC's consider unsportsmanlike conduct...ie trying to cheat. You can do with it whatever you think you're man enough to try.....I'll look forward to it.<<<

I really don't care, but I certainly won't back down from the likes of you. Get you facts straight first. I don't mind having a discussion, but in the hopes of comming to some resolution, I agree to stick only to the facts. Please do the same.

Thanks,

chad

Back