Competition Rocketry

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozymandias

Reaction score
I'm currently a dyed-in-the-wool high power flyer but I'd like to get into contest rocketry. What's going on with that these days? Is anyone doing anything innovative?

Although I am not a hi-power flyer, I never participated in competition flying until this year.

I have to say that I have found it a satisfying challenge to build competition models. They must be strong, yet very light, and use a variety of techniques.

I am learning a great deal from my local NAR chapter members.

Phred

Originally posted by astronboy
Although I am not a hi-power flyer, I never participated in competition flying until this year.

I have to say that I have found it a satisfying challenge to build competition models. They must be strong, yet very light, and use a variety of techniques.

I am learning a great deal from my local NAR chapter members.

Phred
Great. Maybe I can use some of the composite fabrication techniques I've learned in HPR on some contest rockets.

Our club is in the position of buying/building our own launch equipment this Fall. I will be addressing the members at the next meeting on including one or more launch "towers" to be used in competition events...

As an NAR section...my thinking is that we should also concentrate on competition among students as well as the TARC classes that we are currently involved with....

There's alot more to it than people think...!!!

Originally posted by Ozymandias
Great. Maybe I can use some of the composite fabrication techniques I've learned in HPR on some contest rockets.

That's the way I'm heading. 24mm Mach busters. 5 figure altitudes. There's a whole new century of exotic goodies to be tried and applied to setting new records.

On the other hand, there's always CSXT's altitude record.

Originally posted by Ozymandias
I'm currently a dyed-in-the-wool high power flyer but I'd like to get into contest rocketry. What's going on with that these days? Is anyone doing anything innovative?

I've (re)discovered competition recently, and I have to tell you, it's a hoot.

I thought staging composite motors was challenging, until I tried flying B-streamer and D eggloft altitude competitively (to say nothing of plastic model conversion :)

--tc

COmpetition is incredibly challenging (or *can* be)

I used to compete quite a bit back when I ran the Goddard Society. I started to get away from it when I hit regional meets and it (frankly) got *too* competative... :p

I was in it for fun and it started to not be fun. My 2 cents, have a blast with it, learn and teach. Competition is a great learning experience, beleive me!

jim'

I'm jumping into G altitude competition with a 24mm rocket. Should be awesome. There's little comp. in Canada so acheiving alt. records is easy but I'm going to really try to push the limits

Back