Compatibility: Createx and Tamiya vs. Acryli-Quik?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SolarYellow

Basket of deployables.
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have just bought an airbrush based on @James Duffy's recommendation. I also have a decent stock of Krylon Acryli-Quik paint, but am not loving the limited color selection and extremely limited availability with high shipping costs. Createx and Tamiya are available at Hobby Lobby and elsewhere locally. Are they compatible with the Acryli-Quik? Can I gradually move over to airbrush and mix it with the spray can stuff, or do I have to go one or the other on a given rocket?

I would not be surprised if they are somewhat compatible, however some may cause color bleeding or other effects when used with other brands (this can be an issue within a brand too, Createx for example can use one of its mixing clears as an inter-coat sealer either 4030 or 4050 dont remember which.
Make a test panel and try some, easiest way to find out.

I have just bought an airbrush based on @James Duffy's recommendation. I also have a decent stock of Krylon Acryli-Quik paint, but am not loving the limited color selection and extremely limited availability with high shipping costs. Createx and Tamiya are available at Hobby Lobby and elsewhere locally. Are they compatible with the Acryli-Quik? Can I gradually move over to airbrush and mix it with the spray can stuff, or do I have to go one or the other on a given rocket?
You should have no problem spraying any acrylic over a fully cured base coat of spray paint, either enamel or lacquer. I do this all of the time, and it is in fact the approach I use 90%+ of the time.

Spraying acrylics over fully cured layers of different acrylic brands shouldn't present a problem, either, although I cannot say this with 100% certainty. Testing first on scrap material is recommended.

Mixing different brands of acrylic paints wet will probably not end well, though. If you need to create custom colors it is best to stay within a single paint line from a well-respected brand. (I'm a big fan of the Tamiya acrylics.)

Another tip is to use only the thinners designed specifically for a particular paint line. If you're spraying Tamiya acrylics, for instance, use the Tamiya acrylic thinner. (Can you tell I like the Tamiya products?)

Depending on your needs and model sizes, you could be happy with either the Createx or Tamiya systems. Although the Tamiya paint is really good stuff, Createx has two significant advantages in having a huge number of colors (they have acquired Wicked Colors, Auto Air and some lesser known brands), and you can buy larger quantities. In addition to the 2 oz bottles they offer pint, quart and gallon sizes, making Createx *much* less expensive for larger projects.

Back