3D Printing Comparison of Powder Coated Textured Print Beds

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
I have them and I have begun testing. I ordered a small USB Microscope to compare the texture and examine prints. I am going to rank them on adherence, removal of prints, surface quality, and print quality.

What else do you want to know?

I have them and I have begun testing. I ordered a small USB Microscope to compare the texture and examine prints. I am going to rank them on adherence, removal of prints, surface quality, and print quality.

What else do you want to know?
I think you have it covered from my perspective. Although I would like to see comparative pictures showing the surface details of each sheet. That is if you have the camera to take a close up pic.

I think you have it covered from my perspective. Although I would like to see comparative pictures showing the surface details of each sheet. That is if you have the camera to take a close up pic.

This is why I am using a 300-1200x microscope. Better pictures.

Surface durability and evenness of coating. Supposedly Prusa could not get a 100% coverage with high enough consistency to make it worthwhile. And of course no matter how good it is at adhesion and release if it is not durable then it's probably not worth the effort.

Also 'flatness' after a lot of flexing. I assume they are all using a steel that will flex without taking a 'set' but will still be good to keep an eye on that.

Thanks for taking the time for this.

Tony

Acknowledged. So far, even the rejects are pretty darn good.

This is why I am using a 300-1200x microscope. Better pictures.

Maybe some quantitative analyses of the bumps per square inch as well as average diameter and height. That is for all, the V3, V4, Matter Hacker LayerLock and the Original Prusa textured. I know that is a lot of work but if you take the pics and send them to me with something as a scale reference in them, then I will do the analyses.

I am going to start printing this week as a part of the test. I am looking for something quick and useful to print. Any ideas? It should have a nice chunk print surface for photos.

I don't want to print a bunch of squares to throw away

I just got my textured Prusa sheet last week. My first print was a BT-50 fincan and nose cone. In ABS, the fins usually pop up and curl a little but this time they stuck fine. What really surprised me was when it cooled and I took the sheet off, the parts literally slid off of it without even being touched. Usually I have to poke at it with a razor to get it to pop. It was somewhat confusing when it happened...

So far it seems too good to be true but time will tell. If this happens consistently or even once again, I’m sold. I’ll buy a new one every month if I have to (And they let me).

I just got my textured Prusa sheet last week. My first print was a BT-50 fincan and nose cone. In ABS, the fins usually pop up and curl a little but this time they stuck fine. What really surprised me was when it cooled and I took the sheet off, the parts literally slid off of it without even being touched. Usually I have to poke at it with a razor to get it to pop. It was somewhat confusing when it happened...

So far it seems too good to be true but time will tell. If this happens consistently or even once again, I’m sold. I’ll buy a new one every month if I have to (And they let me).

Don't use tools on it. 1 scratch and it all will change.

We tried a Pelxi sheet for our base on our older machine. it' seemed to work OK. we buffed it up with some sandpaper & scotchbright pad.. make sure your heated bed is turned off.

our newer printer came with a mirror for the bed, and were told to use Elmer's purple school glue stick . parts stick good! We've also made a printer profile for the particulars of the PLA we're using, the manuf. recommends a nozzle temp of 215°C & a bed temp of 70°C. so far, no issues..

Ok, I have started printing. I am very impressed with Powder Coated Textured Beds. They really do create a superior print surface. I have been taking photos with a USB microscope and my iPhone. I will start posting them over the next week.

How many different sheets are you testing? What else is available besides the one from Prusa?

Ok, I purchase several textured powder coated print surfaces for my Prusa. I will post a review in the next several posts. It will include images of prints and the print surface.

Print surfaces:
  1. Prusa Textured Powder Coated Surface
  2. Matterhackers Layerlock Print Bed
  3. AliExpress Powder Coated Print Bed
  4. TheKKIINNGG V2 Print Surface
  5. TheKKIINNGG V3 Print Surface
  6. TheKKIINNGG V4 Print Surface

Ok, I purchase several textured powder coated print surfaces for my Prusa. I will post a review in the next several posts. It will include images of prints and the print surface.

Print surfaces:
  1. Prusa Textured Powder Coated Surface
  2. Matterhackers Layerlock Print Bed
  3. AliExpress Powder Coated Print Bed
  4. TheKKIINNGG V2 Print Surface
  5. TheKKIINNGG V3 Print Surface
  6. TheKKIINNGG V4 Print Surface
Are you going to be ranking them?

Yes. I am going to do a post with some prints on each one, review them, compare them, and rank them. The last post will rank them. I am working on a rating system right now. Do you have suggestions on how to rank them?

Here are some suggestions to start with.

- Stickability or if you want to be more professional, adhesion

- Texture quality for the textured sheets

- Durability, which may be premature, unless some are showing signs of premature wear

- Price, which could be quantified as value

- Quality, looking at the cut and accuracy of fit and finish.

So, here is my rating criteria:

• Adhesion or stackability (20 points)
  • Ease of print removal (20 points)
  • Price (20 points)
  • Availability (10 points)
  • Texture quality (10 Points)
  • Durability (10 Points)
  • Quality (10 Points)
Total of 100 points. The review will be a little subjective, but I value the first 3 more. I will handicap the rest a little because the Prusa is not for sale yet. I may adjust scores as I use them more.

First will be my Original Prusa TXT Sheet.

Prusa Textured Powder Coated Print Surface
Ok, this is the first surface I used. It is a fantastic surface. It has the right mix of adhesion with durability. The one hit I would say on this print surface is availability. It will be the cheapest option and the best once it is finally available for the masses.

Prusa Textured Sheet.jpg
Textured Print Bed by Prusa

Prusa-TXT-2.5mag.jpg
The surface at 2.5x

Prusa-TXT-Mag.JPG
The surface at 300X

print surface 2.5x .jpg
The print surface at 2.5x

Prusa-TXT-Print-Mag.jpg
The print surface at 300X.

• Adhesion or stickability (20 points): 20 pts
  • Ease of print removal (20 points): 20 pts
  • Price (20 points): 16 points
  • Availability (10 points): 10 pts
  • Texture quality (10 Points): 10 points
  • Durability (10 Points): 10 points
  • Quality (10 Points): 10 points
  • Total: 94 points

Last edited:
Funssor Prusa i3 MK3 Powder Coated Bed
This one is relatively new to the market. I have printed with it for a month. It is a decent surface with some durability concerns. It has the right adhesion, but you never want to remove a print when it is cool and with PETG, Windex is a must. It sticks a bit too much and a piece of the surface came off with 15th print (PETG). The plate I had some small areas that were not quite so uniform or splotches. It is available now on Aliexpress.

AliExpress-TXT-Bed.jpg
Textured Print Bed From AliExpress

AliExpress-TXT-2.5x.jpg
The surface at 2.5x

AliExpress-TXT-Mag.JPG
The surface at 300X

AliExpress-PRNT-2.5x.jpg
The print surface at 2.5x

AliExpress-PRNT-MAG.JPG
The print surface at 300X.
  • Adhesion or stickability (20 points): 20 pts - Maybe too much
  • Ease of print removal (20 points): 16 pts - can stick too much
  • Price (20 points): 18 points
  • Availability (10 points): 10 pts
  • Texture quality (10 Points): 8 points
  • Durability (10 Points): 5 points
  • Quality (10 Points): 8 points
  • Total: 85 points
Overall this is not a bad bed. It prints well as long as you do not allow the print to cool and you use Windex with PETG. I found removing prints at 40-50 degrees Celsius worked well.

I just got a seventh type of powder coated. It is also from AliExpress. It is different than the one I reviewed above.

It looks like Prusa is getting closer to re-releasing their print bed. The price was updated to $45 (was $25 or so?) and you can now register to be notified when it's back in stock. It still shows out of stock but Facebook chatter seems to indicate maybe a few were made available and quickly snatched up. I've been holding off on getting an off-brand simply because I thought Prusa was going to come in cheaper but that appears to no longer be true.

If you had to pick one non-Prusa today which would it be?

Yup. Some folks have been snapping up the used one side on eBay - too.

It looks like Prusa is getting closer to re-releasing their print bed. The price was updated to $45 (was $25 or so?) and you can now register to be notified when it's back in stock. It still shows out of stock but Facebook chatter seems to indicate maybe a few were made available and quickly snatched up. I've been holding off on getting an off-brand simply because I thought Prusa was going to come in cheaper but that appears to no longer be true.

If you had to pick one non-Prusa today which would it be?
Chuck should pipe in on this one as he has both thekkiinngg V3 and V4. I have V3 and for durability, price and availability I would put it up there. Where I think it is not as good as the original is on the uniformity and, subjective, ideal size of the raised bumps. But I think it is a good substitute.

Not a bad substitute, some of them have a less than uniform surface, and they rent adhere just a slight less. I have about 100 hours on my version 3 and 4. It is an able alternative and has some advantages to the prusa.

I will posting their review and rating this week.

I am almost complete. It is essentially the same if not identical to theKKIINNGG V4. No idea if they are manufactured by the same folks.

Back